CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-05-2008, 04:58 AM   #1
Alex Coots

Profile:
POSE running

So, I'm interested in POSE running but I'm apprehensive because I haven't read many testimonials.

Has anyone here made the switch to POSE? Did you notice a dramatic difference?
Old 12-05-2008, 05:31 AM   #2
Steve Rakow

Profile:
Re: POSE running

Still working on getting the POSE form down. Definitely the way to go. I've seen improved performance in running times due to focusing on form. This goes for our CrossFitters who've made the effort.

Try to get to a CrossFit Running and Endurance Cert. You don't need to be a level 1 CrossFitter to go. It will be well worth your time and money!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Ginger Calem

Profile:

Hi Alex.

I'll chime in here as I'm working on my POSE running. It has made a huge difference in my running endurance and comfort. Before POSE, I would get knee pain, ankle pain and even a lot of discomfort in general in my lower legs. When I started, even the 400m runs would hurt and my endurance stunk.

So, first I went out and bought a pair of Nike Frees, which I love. (I should note that my previous running shoes were well past the 'worn out' stage so I know that was an issue with the pain as well.) Then I read about POSE on these boards and googled it and read a ton, watched a ton of videos, etc., then implemented it. At first I thought my calves would need to be cut off my legs they hurt so bad. But I kept at in and adjusted my step some more and now I feel great!

It wasn't long ago that the 5K hit the main site WOD and I did that without stopping and finished in under 30 minutes--28+. I was so proud of myself.

As soon as we can afford it--we're trying to get new affiliate rolling--I'd love to do the running cert, among others of course.

Try it!

Ginger
Old 12-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Jason Peacock

Profile:

I used to not be able to run more than a mile or two, and had doctor-prescribed orthotics in my athletic shoes due to my flat feet.

I bought & read Chi Running (wfs), which is basically the same thing as POSE running.

I then spent the next 2 months going from no running in the last 8 years to running a marathon (and losing 20lbs!). I completed the marathon without my orthotics, running in racing flats essentially (Newton shoes, designed for POSE running, wfs).

I'm still running, I've done numerous 5k runs and ran in a 24hr relay (6 ppl, 180miles), all without any pain.

I'm 6'1" and 240lbs, heavy athletic build. I'm not a lightweight runner body at all but I can run now thanks to POSE/Chi
Old 12-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

Not to get too off topic, but what kind of shoes do POSE runners prefer. I realise this has been discussed in like a 6 page long thread previously. But most of those posts talk about puma h. streets and nike frees, which are both very hard to find now. Other than the VFF what kind of shoes are good?

The last few days I've been shopping on Zappos and everytime i see a pair that catches my eye they seem to end up having spikes or not being in my size.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
Dustin Berry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wengloski View Post
Not to get too off topic, but what kind of shoes do POSE runners prefer. I realise this has been discussed in like a 6 page long thread previously. But most of those posts talk about puma h. streets and nike frees, which are both very hard to find now. Other than the VFF what kind of shoes are good?

The last few days I've been shopping on Zappos and everytime i see a pair that catches my eye they seem to end up having spikes or not being in my size.
H Street's seem to be the king, and I have heard they are being manufactured again. Puma is selling them in 3 colors on their site. Other than those and the VFF's I've heard good things about Saucony Kilkenny XC2's and the Mizuno Wave Universe. The Mizuno's are a little too funky for me, but I have a pair of Mizuno Wave Riders. Not really POSE shoes, but hands down the most comfortable trainer/"normal" running shoes I've ever had.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
Ginger Calem

Profile:

I want a pair of H-streets bad! I'll also check out Mizuno's because I'm all about funky shoes.

I got my Nike Frees at Academy and I saw them there a couple weeks ago still.

Ginger
Old 12-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
Byron Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wengloski View Post

I went to the Running and Endurance cert last month and Brian MacKenzie specifically recommended the Adidas adiZero. I was pleasantly surprised since I wore my adiZero shoes to the cert. There were two other gentlemen at the cert who also wore them, though I should mention they both trained in the POSE method with Brian MacKenzie. I bought the adiZero from Fleet Feet Sports in Laguna Niguel (one of the clerks there is a POSE certified coach who trained under Michael Collins). The clerk said world records were set in the adiZero. I looked it up on Google when I got home and he wasn't lying.

At the cert, Brian MacKenzie was asked about the Nike Free. To my surprise, he did NOT recommend the Nike Free since they had too much heel. To paraphrase him, if Nike designed those shoes for running like you were barefoot, they did not do a good job.

To answer the question of the thread, POSE has made me a more efficient runner. I don't want to drop too many names, but there were some fire breathers at that cert and they said the same thing. I strongly recommend the cert, or at least working with a POSE certified coach.

Last edited by Byron Garcia : 12-05-2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
Mike Groth

Profile:

Can you learn to run POSE in a normal pair of running shoes? I just bought a pair of Asics Gel Kayanos and I'm wondering if I would be able to learn POSE in a pair of shoes like that.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
Byron Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Groth View Post
Can you learn to run POSE in a normal pair of running shoes? I just bought a pair of Asics Gel Kayanos and I'm wondering if I would be able to learn POSE in a pair of shoes like that.
Dr. Romanov (the founder of the POSE method) does not think so (he was all about wearing racing flats from day one) but the POSE coach I worked with disagreed. He said that an inexperienced runner can injure himself running with racing flats. When I first learned the POSE method, I wore "normal" Nike running shoes while running on pavement. However, the coach who taught me had me run drills while barefoot on grass. When I later attended the cert, I noticed most people wore "normal" shoes, including the fire breathers, and they learned it okay.