CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
Jesse Burroughs

Profile:
Couple questions about SS

So I have been doing Starting Strenght for the past two months and simply it is a great novice program, but as of todays workout i think i might have to move to a different program. Last friday I succesfully completed 335 lbs 3 x 5 for squats and today i failed at 340 lbs. Likewise i failed at 125 for press. Bench is still going up and im currently at 190 lbs 3 x 5. Deadlift is pretty crappy with my best at 305 lbs and i failed at 315, mostly this is due to my left wrist as i have bad tendonitis from a football injury i recieved a couple of years ago, and i have problems with it because when i deadlift i can break it off the floor but my left hand slips when im almost to the top of the pull. I could use some suggestions on how to fix this? I havent added the power clean yet to my program but i am going to very soon hopefully. Since i am a sprinter (I run the one, two, and four hundred) I was thinking about maybe lefting twice a week and running two or three times a week instead of just lifting three times a week. Maybe doing something like this.

Sunday - Run
Monday - Lift (Power clean, Back squat, bench)
Tuesday - run ( light )
Wednesday - rest
Thursday - Run
Friday - Lift ( Front Squat, Press, deadlift)
Saturday - Rest

I have heard a little about black boxing but im not really sure what that is, and maybe that is an option to. I would really appreciate any input due to the fact everyone on this forum prolly knows more then i do lol.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: Couple questions about SS

Jesse,

You may or may not need to change programs. Was this your first failure to make all your sets/reps? If so, try again, at least 1 to 2 times. If still stuck, back off 10% and start the linear progression again. You might also reduce your incremental increase to 2# instead of 5# on BS.

If you've been stuck for multiple WO's and have already reset at least once, you may indeed be ready for a different, intermediate program, in which you try to increase weekly rather than per work-out.

All this assumes your main goal is to continue to get stronger as efficiently as possible. If your goals have changed in that you want to start working more on your sprinting, then I'd definitely start working your power clean and sprints into the mix. By "run" I assume you mean sprint. I'm no sprinter, so hopefully a sprinter will weigh in, but the program you laid out looks pretty good to me. I'd probably focus a bit more on the oly lifts rather than the power lifts however (eg, power clean vs dead-lift, push press/jerk vs press, etc).

You might try to clarify your goals a bit more to receive more focussed feedback.

"Black Box" simply means come up with some program variation, try it for a while, and evaluate the results compared to what you desired to achieve or have achieved in the past. You are running a test with you as the only subject.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Are you squatting deep enough?

Using chalk?

You need to power clean. Especially as a power athlete.

If you're a competitive sprinter, SS is not going to be the ideal program for you. A more Oly-based program with very specific running models will be better IMO.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
Rayna McGinnis

Profile:

What grip are you using on your deadlifts?

I don't need it yet but I know alot of heavy lifters have to change their grip to what I believe is called the "switch grip" but where you have one hand facing towards you and one facing away. Chalk also helps ALOT.

(someone please chime in here with the correct name)...

But if you aren't using that, it may help.

Also- if this IS your first time at failure and by failure, I mean in all areas, then you may want to stay at the same weights and try again. I know when I was doing SS sometimes I'd just have bad day's. not enough sleep, calories, did too many walking lunges the day before, etc. So many things could be effecting your progress.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
Jesse Burroughs

Profile:

Ya it was the first time i failed and i believe i go deep enough, the tops of my thighs are parallel to the floor. The other reason im thinking about switching is because track season starts in three and a half months and i want to focus on sprinting and power more. I definately agree with the fact that i need to work on power and SS is most likely not the best program. I started it because I figured i needed to work on my squats and technique for the major lifts since i have never really lifted seriously and when i did it was composed mostly of half squats and curls. lol. No my gym doesnt have chalk and yes i do use the supine grip (i think thats what its called). As of now im thinking i will finish out the week lifting and then start next week. I have been studying up on Practical programming and i was wondering since i will be just starting to clean next week can i jump up every workout or only weekly? Should i Include Cleans in every workout then since i havent worked it at all? As for my goals im hoping to get my 100 m time down to 11.2 from 11.8, My 200 M time down to 23.3 from 24.1, and my 400 m time down to 51.2 from 53.2. Thanks for the help guys
Old 11-26-2008, 02:01 AM   #6
Daniel Washburn

Profile:

Jesse, did you read SS or just doing the program? (I think you are reading PP?).
You can buy chalk (online or at a sporting goods store), bring it with you in a ziplock baggy. It's really cheap. Like <$10 for more than you will use in 6-12 months.

I'm a little confused on why you think you should change programs. Is it because you failed in the DL or because you want to mix in more sprinting work?

I believe your exact question has been answered over at ************ in Rippeoe's Q&A (http://************.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?&f=36 wfs). I'd read through those threads, since I remember a bunch of people asking the same thing, and someone outlining a sprinter's program.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:45 AM   #7
George Noble

Profile:

Back strength is more important to a sprinter than grip strength. I'd be using straps for my top sets while training grip directly so it will catch up.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Why aren't you doing the cleans?

These will help you as a sprinter, and will help your deadlift.