CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #11
Brett Dartt

Profile:
Re: thrusters compared to push press?

here's a couple numbers. on mine from the last couple of days.
shoulder press 1 rep max-150
push press 3 rep max-150
and my thruster 1 rep max -180
so im definitley stronger in my thruster than my thruster. but then again i added 15 pounds to my shoulder press since the cft last week as well. something must've been up
Old 11-04-2008, 07:45 AM   #12
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
so im definitley stronger in my thruster than my thruster
Well ... THAT clears it up for me!! j/k

I am stronger in my thruster than in my PP. I believe that it could be due to the fact that I am an upper body weakling. All of my training in HS centered around legs (I was a soccer player) so I am more able to generate power coming out of the front squat (using hips) than when I just 'dip drive' in the PP (no hips).

On the same note - it could be that my PP form and aggresiveness is lacking which is causing the weight to be lower ...
Old 11-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #13
James Withington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
Well ... THAT clears it up for me!! j/k

I am stronger in my thruster than in my PP. I believe that it could be due to the fact that I am an upper body weakling. All of my training in HS centered around legs (I was a soccer player) so I am more able to generate power coming out of the front squat (using hips) than when I just 'dip drive' in the PP (no hips).

On the same note - it could be that my PP form and aggresiveness is lacking which is causing the weight to be lower ...
I'd suggest your PP form may need some addressing, as you SHOULD be using your hips in the dip-drive.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #14
Eddie Watts

Profile:

thanks for all comments.
my shoulder 1rm/push press 3rm/push jerk5rm all worked out at 52.5gs

so my 1rm for thrusters should be more, it was 55kgs but the move is relatively new to me. it was just after my workout i started thinking
'could i have done more'
which is a bad thought to have i find personally.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #15
Ed Haywood

Profile:

I think in theory the PP and thruster should be equal, or very close. The only difference is the depth of the dip before the hip drive. With PP you get stretch reflex, but with thrusters you get bar momentum.

In reality, the PP is easier to work out the bar and wrist position for, or at least more tolerant of bad wrist position than the thruster. With 1RM weights, if you don't have the bar racked properly you're gonna be off balance in the front squat and won't get any momentum coming out of the hole.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #16
Greg D Hamilton

Profile:

Kinda off this topic, but general question on Thrusters...

The Tri-panel video shows a guy and a girl doing the exercise (they are in a lot of the videos, but I don't know their names).

After getting the bar completely locked overhead, the girl lowers the bar back to her chest noticeably before dropping back into a squat position.
The guy, on the other hand, starts dropping the bar to his chest as he moves into the squat position.

Is there any reason to this? One way any better than the other? Seems like his may be more efficient time wise and hers could be a bit more controlled?

Thanks,
Old 11-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #17
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

It is more efficient time wise and energy wise to catch the bar on the way down, since less energy is spent decelerating the descent of the bar to minimize the impact on the shoulders. When doing multiple reps, there's no reason not to cycle that way. Hell, even doing singles, most people dip a little to catch the bar once the weight gets heavy enough.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #18
Stefan Still

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Luby View Post
Pretty sure my max push press is > my max thruster.
I know that I can do 135x10 a lot easier and faster with push press than with thrusters.
I'm the same way but my left knee limits my thruster weight. Stupid racing injuries.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #19
Michael Draughon

Profile:

my question is about the thruster. today was really the second time ive done them, the first time i was more holding the weight than resting it on my shoulder, like a front squat, in todays workout i think i had it resting on my shoulder more, but my wrist were pretty sore after like 7 rounds at 65#. ive watched several of the videos and it all looks like there wrists are pretty strectched back as well. does this just take the joint some getting used to or am i going to lose a hand......?