CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-28-2008, 06:43 AM   #11
Austin Bray

Profile:
Re: train through or around asthma?

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I had using an inhaled corticosteroid for 4 years. At first the bulk of my symptoms went away but they gradually came back to the same level as before I started on it. From everything I've read it seemed that this is not a medication you want to ramp up with. So I decided to go off it. I've been training without it for a year now.

Workouts like Elizabeth don't bother me at all. And doing the 4x400m sprints on Friday were fine because I subbed rowing. It's merely running that seems to get to me these days.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:54 AM   #12
Austin Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Neill View Post

This sensitivity is at a subtle molecular level and it cannot be trained through. It's not exactly the same but it's sort of like breathing a poison gas. Is doing it a lot going to make it less poisonous? Same with asthma. You're not going to wheeze less just because you wheeze a lot or often. The sensitivity is what it is. The only exception might be if you live in a place with a lot of air pollution. Moving to a cleaner place (and/or supporting clean air regulations) may help.

You are not training well or smart or being a tough guy by "pushing through" an asthma attack. Your body is having a serious bad reaction to the exertion. By not getting treatment you are putting yourself under useless stress that in the long term will tear you down. Most assuredly the problem will not go away. You're not going to train through it or around it. Sometimes it may seem to be not so bad but that will be because the weather and air quality are most favorable, not because the condition has improved.
Thanks for the reply mike. I was operating under the impression that by pushing myself through on a run that I was desensitizing my lungs to whatever the hell it is about running that is causing the wheeze(I run inside the same gym I lift in...same air).

It's so wierd. I seem to wheeze whenever I move vigorously (jogging, air squats..etc). but slow, controlled movements don't affect me at all. It also seems that if I'm doing a workout that combines running and moderate or heaving lifting, that the lifting portions will make me STOP wheezing.

I'd been thinking about this a lot lately and I'm reminded of how back in high school I couldn't run for beans because I would wheeze. Once I joined the wrestling team and lost 25lbs(down to 170) I was then able to actually keep up on runs. I'm guessing the wheeze has got something to do with the excess body fat.

Last edited by Austin Bray : 10-28-2008 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:01 AM   #13
Rayna McGinnis

Profile:

first off- I'm going to put out there that this is based solely off of my personal experience and not medical advice.

I have had exercise induced asthma since I was a kid, diagnosed at about age 8. I didn't really start to notice it until I was about 15/16, running bases in softball. I always had my inhaler handy though and would use it and be fine.

A few years of inactivity later, I started crossfitting. My boyfriend couldn't understand why I couldn't run the first lap of helen without "dying" shortly after. He has asthma, but not like mine. I get this nasty, burning, wheezing feeling like my hearts about to explode... or atleast use to.

When I'd do heavy lifting, it wasn't a big deal and I'd push through. Anytime I was about to do a metcon, I would use the inhaler first. (i've also tried taking singular everyday... helped alot, but I forget to take it, so I stopped... might be worth trying).

I started crossfitting about a year and a half ago and after using my inhaler first and pushing through after that, stopping if the pain was too intense, I can now do most metcon's without an inhaler ( though I keep it close by) and I can run more than a quarter mile without wishing I was dead.

First stop though, in my opinion, would be the doctors. Get the right meds, THEN play with how hard you can push it.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #14
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pierce View Post
Emily, recurrent pneumonia may be a symptom of asthma, rather than the other way around.
She never had pulmonary problems before she got pneumonia the first time. I also suffered through it and a relapse and it took me about 8 months to get back into regular physical activity, but I was 11 at the time.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #15
Steve Cable

Profile:

like emily's mom I too had a a terrible case of pneumonia that lead to asthma as an adult. It ruined my marine pilot career. I was medically discharged from the corps in 95. I went about 10 years on different meds but finally do best on advair 250/50. I do even better when I take my fish caps and don't eat breads, pasta, processed foods, etc. I haven't had to take a rescue inhaler in ages either. If I get a cold and it starts moving into my chest I have to agressively get after it with antibiotics or I am hard down for more than a week..