CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
Steve Sheffar

Profile:
I am still a new member here. So please be patient. I just got back from the gym where I was to do barbell thruster with Max load
1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1. I got the first few off with no problems then about set 4 my back started to kill. I thought it best to stop before it got out of hand. I barely had a sweat and I have two rest days (sat and Sun)so I did:

6 times not for time.

row 1000m
50 push ups
10 pull ups
15 dips (no rings)

I was there for about 50mins to an hour. Is this too long for the crossfit workout? My other workouts are over in 15-20 mins. Don't want to over do it but was in the rhythem of it so just kept going.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Max effort days are not metcon days. They are there to build strength. As you stick with the WOD's you will find the mixture of metcon and max efforts. Today for instance was pretty metcon.

Nick
Old 01-26-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
Ian Carver

Profile:
Steve- I personally think you are on the right track and you are being smart about things by not overdoing it to the point of injury. Research suggests that workouts going past the 45-60 minute mark become catabolic towards the body, meaning they are now wasting muscle as a fuel instead of glycogen, carbs, fat. Still with that being said, I am of the mindset that once in a while, this will not kill you and you will not come out looking like a Borneo tribesman. About once or twice a month I enter the 45 minute zone on some hellacious workout just to tax the body, I just don't make it a routine habit. Initially upon starting CF, this is not unusual. Do the same WOD a month from now and I can assure you that you will knock off more time than you believe.

In the case of your workout, I would suggest that you work for full completion with solid form before you even think about time, even if the WOD consists of bodywieght exercises. Time is overrated in some aspects and people get too wound up in it. Use time as a measuring stick for you alone and gradually it will improve along with your overall performance.

Additionally on strength days or other WODS where weights is involved, scale the weight back to what challenges you, but allows you to complete the WOD as RX'd with good form. The weights posted by Coach on the main site are the target loads to reach for at the top end of your fitness, which may come soon or take a little longer. They are the goal numbers, so work towards them gradually. I have been in WOD's where the weight was too light or heavy and I have taken 10 seconds to make adjustments before going the rest of the way.

Lastly, listen to your body. If you think something is about to come unraveled, snap, pop, or explode, by all means stop. It's kind of like the sticker on the treadmill, "If you feel dizzy at any point, hit the red button and stop". This is meant to make you fitter than the average bear, not kill you, so rest accordingly and workout wisely. There is a method behind this madness and it truly does work.

I noticed another new post in the Workout of the Day section of the board where someone asked about scaling Diane/time. It is similar in vein to your question and you may wish to check it out as well. Take care and stay fit!!
Old 01-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:
It doesn't matter how long you go depending on your level of intensity. Olympic athletes usually train for like 4-6 hours a day at least 5-6 days a week for their sports, and you don't see them wasting away. Oly weightlifters train for at least a couple of times a day for most of the days a week.

Basically the point is that a few long workouts here and there aren't going to kill you. If it is a ME or strength workout, they can take a long time because the rest periods need to be long (2-5 mins) and depending on how many lifts and how many exercises you do you can get up to around 90-120 minutes. It's not going to kill you or anything, and honestly the hormone stuff is a bit overrated. We've had this discussion before.

It is true that cortisol levels rise above serum GH and testosterone levels at approximately 45-60 after working out... but no intensity is specified. If you're doing some metcon workout, you're going to hit that much faster raound 20-30 mins than if you were doing a strength workout. Don't worry about it too much.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
Scott Clark

Profile:

This seems to be part of the process. Crossfit was a drastic switch from my run-of-the-mill weightlifting BS routine. You have to listen to your body in the beginning. While pushing yourself to improve times in workouts is a good thing, breaking down your body will just delay improvement and possibly cause an individual to question whether or not this lifestyle is for them or not. I'm of the belief that nutrition is the ultimate determining factor in performance and recovery. You'll be fine.