CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-06-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
Lee Ann McCall

Profile:
Mini Rhabdo, Excess Lactic Acid, or???

Twice in the last two or three months after a somewhat hard work out, I have developed muscle soreness that starts out normal, but then changes into something much, much worse. I usually start out moderately sore about 12 hours after the work out. Then, as time progresses, I start to feel like I have the flu, and I get aches and chills like having the flu, except the aches are where I had muscle soreness from the work out and the pain is very intense. It lasts for several days. I just thought I had the flu but that the aches and pains settled where my msucles are weak from the work out. My husband said this is nuts and also shouldn't account for the intensity of the bursts of pain (which also makes him think it's not just muscle soreness either - the intense pain comes in bursts even when I am not moving).

I have this right now after the weighted lunge and kettlebell workout from Thursday night. My abs and lower back are affected, but also my GI tract.

Has anybody ever had something like this or have any thoughts on what this is?

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
Brad Thompson

Profile:
Re: Mini Rhabdo, Excess Lactic Acid, or???

I used to get this way with the bodybuilding workouts. Only variables that have changed for me (besides being a lot older!) are that I do Crossfit and my diet is way better. Since you are doing Crossfit, have you checked your diet? How are you sleeping? Do you take fish oil? Magnesium? Drink a TON of water?
Old 12-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Joel Chapman

Profile:

It sounds like it could be muscle damage. Also, lunges and kettlebell swings have a large eccentric component that can predispose one to muscle damage. Did you have discolored urine?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Lee Ann McCall

Profile:

Thanks for responding. I do take fish oil and *try* to drink a ton of water. Doesn't always happen. As for sleep - HA. I have sort of a crazy job, so I average less than 6 hours a night - some nights less than 3. Plus, I have young kids, so those hours are frequently interrupted. i suspect that is the weak link in the chain. I eat ok, not great by zone/corssfit standards. I have a ton of food allergies, so zone is hard for me. I am doing a combinatin of restricted calorie and increased protein, trying for a better mix overall.

My urine is darker than normal but not tea colored, which I think is the sure sign of rhabdo, so I don't think I have true rhabdo. I am wondering now (because I am also coughing and stuffed up) whether I got muscle damage as you suggest and that brought me so low that I also got the next germ floating by (or was fighting them all off until this, and BAM). This happened last time, too - I ended up after a few days with a more traditional cold-like flu.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Brad Thompson

Profile:

I'd bet that the root cause is in the first paragraph.

That doesn't mean don't check to see if you have rhabdo. Drink a ton of water!!! Get sleep!! (I'm sorta shouting at myself here too )
Old 12-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Ben Chapman

Profile:

Severe muscle fatigue doesn't always include rhabdo. On your next workout cycle, take 3 days off instead of one, stretching and staying loose on those rest days. Then come back at it like normal and see what happens. Focus on good diet and lots of water during the rest days and try to give your whole body a good reset.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
Robert Callahan

Profile:

I can tell you it is definitely not excess lactic acid as that is a myth and does not cause any lasting muscle soreness. You can have Rhabdo to varying degrees depending on the muscle damage and this could be the case. Not really sure of a way to tell though other than go to the doc when it happens and make him test for it....

Either way pay attention to your limits. Do not get greedy with workouts and try for too much too fast, it will only slow things down in the long run. And safety always comes first

-Robert
Old 12-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
Lee Ann McCall

Profile:

Thank you all so much for the advice!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
Christian Mason

Profile:

Tea colored urine is only seen in about 10% of exercise induced Rhabo.

Others have pointed this out, but I feel it's worth stressing it again. My girlfriend spent two days in the hospital on IV fluids with Rhabo, her urine was normal colored the entire time.

If you have dark colored urine, by all means, go to the hospital. But you shouldn't take the absence of discolored urine to mean ANYTHING.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:32 PM   #10
Chris Salvato

Profile:

Rhabdo or not, it sounds like what we have here is a case of you not listening to your body...

It is very hard, especially when you are a CrossFitter. There is this driving force that pushes you to your limit -- there is no such thing as "too much".

Your body will tell you when to stop -- i don't know how long you have been x-fitting or watching your diet, but these signals take a LONG time to pick up on.

I agree with Robert -- don't get greedy. You will not only limit your progress, you can severely hurt yourself!

You need time to recover -- there is no shame, AT ALL, in taking more than 1 day off...and you will actually be helping your progress, not hurting it.

Be safe, train hard - in that order