CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-07-2008, 04:19 AM   #31
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: No long workouts for the Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
I may be mistaken....(I hate starting a thread like that) but to me, the one thing Crossfit has proven is that competency across the 10 physical fitness domains is best gained through high intensity functional movement based constantly varied workouts...why would the CF Games then stand on its head to promote something like a 5k, or worse 10k???.
Note: the Games are not a workout. They are a test. They are not designed to improve your fitness; they are designed to evaluate it.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:35 AM   #32
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post
There are a ton of side stories that you're not aware of - including Josh Everett competing in the last two events with absolutely no skin on both palms. I'm not talking about a callous tear. His palms literally looked like he placed them on a hot stove and suffered 3rd degree burns.
Oh wow. Just wow.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #33
Dylan Eddy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Note: the Games are not a workout. They are a test. They are not designed to improve your fitness; they are designed to evaluate it.
i think this is the root of this debate. occasional longer workouts are beneficial to producing fitness, witness the filthy 50s, 5k, 10k, and eva's that get rx'd, but they are not necessary to test work capacity. this years games format was IMHO a very effective test of work capacity.

no CFT, but lots of heavy loads in the metcons.

no 5k, but the multi-metcons and the run tested power output just fine.

in that sense it was classic crossfit. nothing specific, but broad results (or in this case tested domains) anyway.

i do think that the short time domain and unusually heavy loads were a disadvantage for guys like speal. particularly in the last Wod. but thats life. its still a valid result.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:51 AM   #34
Wade Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
Umm... from the CrossFit Journal "What Is Fitness?" pdf:
Why should this stop anyone from discussing whether or not that Games could have been a better test of overall fitness? Do you think Coach and his staff were like "***** it, they get what they get," when devising the workouts? If they saw fit to care, I don't see why we shouldn't be allowed to.
Joe, I didn't mean to come across short or condescending. If I did, I apologize. I just remember either reading (or viewing/video) recently either Coach or Tony (or someone representing CFHQ/games) that they would mix it up because (my paraphrase) fitness is represented by the short and the long. Sorry for the poor paraphrase and I cannot find the link.

Again, my apologies if you took my comment in the wrong way. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #35
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Eddy View Post
i think this is the root of this debate. occasional longer workouts are beneficial to producing fitness, witness the filthy 50s, 5k, 10k, and eva's that get rx'd, but they are not necessary to test work capacity. this years games format was IMHO a very effective test of work capacity.
Um... I disagree completely. I think you have it backwards.

One of the key ideas in CrossFit is that long-duration performance can be achieved by shorter-duration training. Thus most of our workouts are fairly short.

However, actually TESTING long-duration performance requires LONG-DURATION PERFORMANCE. This is... the whole point of a test.

Perhaps the string of short workouts achieved a similar effect. I don't know.

I just would have liked more breadth in general. All roads seemed to lead to metcon in this setup. But let's hear from the planners, participants, and observers first.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #36
Tim Luby

Profile:

A 5k row would've been interesting.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #37
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Why not evaluate where we train...?

I've seen the 5k and 10k pop up probably an average of once every 3 months (my guess)...nothing wrong with 5k/10k, especially since it's a race, but I hardly find it necessary for a Crossfit competition.

I would only see a need for a longer duration aerobic WOD if we were trying to prove to non-crossfitters the general carry-over benefit of the program.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #38
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Quote:
I would only see a need for a longer duration aerobic WOD if we were trying to prove to non-crossfitters the general carry-over benefit of the program.
How about evaluating whether we're capable of doing anything longer than twenty minutes?
Old 07-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #39
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
How about evaluating whether we're capable of doing anything longer than twenty minutes?
You already know that we can. Are you just wanting to see it?
Old 07-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #40
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:
I've seen the 5k and 10k pop up probably an average of once every 3 months
My logs from the past year have it at about once a month -- maybe a little more.

Quote:
You're neglecting the whole "test/evaluation" utility.

Even beyond that: why would Coach prescribe 5- and 10-kilometer runs (with a frequency that rivals any other workout) if they were pointless for GPP and you could do just as well doing only 5-minute workouts?