CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Todd Welch

Profile:
Fedor vs Sylvia (Affliction - Banned)

After the joke of EliteXC, it is refreshing to see an organization at least put together a possible great fight. I am no fan of Fedor and believe he is ducking any true competition, but the money is too much for his to avoid. Sylvia will stop the fight in Rd. 2.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
Caleb Thomas

Profile:
Re: Fedor vs Sylvia (Affliction - Banned)

You mean he'll tap right?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Thomas View Post
You mean he'll tap right?
I was going to suggest that he might stop the fight by losing consciousness.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Todd Welch

Profile:

Sylvia will knock Fedor out!! Emelianenko has not faced true competion in a long time. Sylvia has lost recently, but at least has gotten in with some real fighters.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Caleb Thomas

Profile:

Fedor's probably gonna choke him out. But he's dangerous (at the highest level) in every way. Sylvia's only chance is a mistake by Fedor which doesn't happen.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
Shane Rapp

Profile:

The whole card is awesome. I wish they'd switch it around so Barnett was fighting Arlovski though.

I agree Syvlia's only chance is if Fedor makes a mistake. There's a slight chance, with his significant size advantage, he might be able to pull off his "back up and jab" strategy and get a KO or even a cut since Fedor's skin is so thin. But he got out struck by Randy and Fedor's standup is pretty good. Plus, with his reflexes he's very elusive. I mean, if Semmy and Crocop had so much trouble beating Fedor with stand-up I don't think Tim has a better shot. Tim definitely doesn't want it to go to the ground. If Fedor gets him down it's pretty much over.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:34 AM   #7
Francisco Galarce Morales

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Welch View Post
Sylvia will knock Fedor out!! Emelianenko has not faced true competion in a long time. Sylvia has lost recently, but at least has gotten in with some real fighters.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:08 AM   #8
Richard Vanmeerbeek

Profile:

Fedor, all day every day. He's in a league on his own.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
Todd Welch

Profile:

Quite a few Fedor Fans!!! I guess Militech gets no respect in the CrossFit world?? I like Fedor in Pride, but when was his last tough fight?? I didn't notice if this was in a ring or cage? Many former PRIDE guys have had issues in the cage.. (Cro cop, Henderson..)
Old 06-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
Shane Rapp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Welch View Post
Quite a few Fedor Fans!!! I guess Militech gets no respect in the CrossFit world?? I like Fedor in Pride, but when was his last tough fight?? I didn't notice if this was in a ring or cage? Many former PRIDE guys have had issues in the cage.. (Cro cop, Henderson..)
Can't really speak for any others but you called it right that I'm not a fan of MFS (except Jeremy Horn). As far as people I don't have anything against them like some seem to. My gripe with them is that they seem to focus on play-it-safe strategies and don't show much desire to develop more skill. Tim Sylvia and Matt Hughes (I know he's not with them anymore) follow the same basic play-it-safe strategy every time and I don't really care for that. I used to be a Hughes fan but that's changed over the years.

Some guys have had trouble transitioning from the ring to the cage. I dont think we can count Henderson among them. He went up against two of the best guys in the world at LHW and MW and was actually really competitive against Rampage until he tired. I think that had more to do with his losses than any change in environment. I do definitely feel Crocop's style doesn't work as well in a cage. He's become too dependent on looking for the LHK KO without even setting it up and it's just not going to work anymore.

Fedor's last tough opponent. Hmm...kinda tough to say. As far as rankings go it's been a while. Lindland weighed about 215# when they fought and he's a tough fighter but he's not ranked as a HW even though he was one of the best MW's in the world at the time. Choi isn't a great fighter but his tremendous size makes him a very difficult opponent for most guys, kind of like Sylvia, though Sylvia does have more MMA skill. I guess as far as facing topped ranked opponents we'd have to go to the Crocop fight. That was the last time Fedor fought a top 10 guy (not sure what Hunt was ranked when they fought). I don't understand the belief that he's ducking tough fighters though. After all, Fedor is fighting Tim Sylvia in just over a month. He and Randy have been trying to face each other for over 6 months now. Plus, Couture and Barnett have both stated that they've been offered fights against Fedor but turned them down.

As far as I understand it Affliction's first event is going to be in a ring. I could be wrong though. I'd rather it was in a cage, or better yet plexiglass. lol