CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 06-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
John Pavlic

Profile:
John's Log: First rule of Fight Club is...you do not talk about Fight Club!

Starting a work-out log to motivate myself and facilitate an easy way to track my progress. Constructive criticism welcome as well as encouragement.

A little about me....

I'm 38 years old, 6' 2", 250 lb BW (now), coming down from about 275 lb. BW 5 months ago.

I played football in high school and a couple of years of college, and worked out pretty consistently through my early 20's. After about 26, I regressed to mostly just working out with weights primarily and did very little cardio (the occasional 20 minutes on the treadmill or stationary bike). I hate standard cardio work and find it to be one of the most boring things on earth.

About 4 years ago, I pretty much stopped working out altogether due to my work-life becoming more demanding other life changing events. Other than a spurt of activity here and there for a few weeks or months, I have not worked out consistently since then until this year.

About January of this year I hit about 275 BW again (I had hit 280 2 years ago, but got back down to 260). Since I am staring the big 40 in the eye 2 years from now, I decided I had better get in shape again before it was too late. I cut back on junk food and dropped about 5 pounds off me in a week or two, which just made me feel like I had been eating like a pig. I started up work-outs with weights at the local globo-style gym near our house that I have had a virtually unused membership at for about 2 years or more. The standard body-building workouts did not really give me much progress performance wise, but kept the weight coming off. I switched over to a full body circuit style routine about March of this year, which worked better (but not great).

I discovered Crossfit through the recent article in Muscle and Fiction. I looked online and found the main site. The article merely scratched the surface of what Crossfit was all about. I tried a few workouts, did horrible on them but felt great afterwards and saw my body change radically in a short period of time.

I have been doing Crossfit-style workouts only for about 5 weeks 3-4 days almost immediately dropped more weight. I am now down to about 250-252, about 23-25 pounds down from the start of this year. I am hoping to start this week following the main site WODs more consistently and keeping up with the 3 on 1 off, 2 on 1 off schedule.

My main weakness, there are many, is my conditioning level. I struggle to get most work-outs done in 25-30 minutes or more. I have made the mistake of trying to keep up with the work-outs as Rx'd when possible and found that it is probably slowing down my progress with Crossfit. While it has helped my strength come back quickly to complete the prescribed # of 135 squat cleans in broken sets in a given WOD, my work capacity has not progressed much, nor has my ability to complete the workouts in a time span that provides the full metacon effect. I think I need to swallow my and start scaling down the weights in the workouts to where I can complete them in closer to 20 minutes in order to get the progress I want.

My strength is not bad in general, though not great for my size/weight, so I think that just throwing a couple ME, 3x3, 5x5 workouts for some of the essential lifts in here and there on top of the ones that are in the standard programming will be enough to keep my numbers going up. My Crossfit Total is 845 (Squat 315, Press 165, and Deadlift 365). This translates to Squat at 1.26 BW, Press at 66% and Deadlift at 1.46. I would like to get a 1000 lb Crossfit total in the next 6 months. Since I just started back up with weight and have lifted far more in the past, I do not think that is an undoable goal.

I won't even go into any of Benchmark/named workout times, because they are horrible!

Well, here we go!
Old 06-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
John Pavlic

Profile:
Re: John's Log: First rule of Fight Club is...you do not talk about Fight Club!

080607 WOD performed today

Five rounds for time of:
135 pound Squat clean, 7 reps
15 Handstand push-ups

I subbed presses for the HSPU

1st round 135# Squat Cleans for 7 reps and 95# Standing Press for 15 reps.
The next 4 rounds, I scaled back to 115# Squat Cleans for 7 and 85# Standing Press for 15. Time completed, approximately 22 minutes
Old 06-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

John, welcome!!!
Old 06-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
John Pavlic

Profile:

Thanks for the welcome David!

I did the Sunday 080608 WOD today

Ten rounds for time of:
12 Burpees
12 Pull-ups

I went by my 20 minute rule above and stopped at 8 rounds in 22 minutes as Rx'd, except for mix of kipping pull-ups and jumping pull-ups (about 4 kipping/8 jumping in the last 3-4 rounds. I felt like I should have soldiered on and finished out the last few rounds. Felt like I did awful on the pull-ups, but I felt like the burpees were pretty easy and doing those in large amounts were pretty tough for me when I first stared. So there is some progress.

My kip sucks! But I plan to go to an affiliate in the next month or so and get some one-on-one instruction. So hopefully, I can get better at that. Most of the pull-up bars at my gym are low, 7 to 8'. Since I am 6' 2" and have long arms, bars at that height do not feel like they give me enough room to kip correctly. It would be nice to have a bar around 86 - 9 feet. Cleaning out the garage this weekend and going to install a pull up bar on the ceiling or wall at a decent height.

I also need help with Cleans, Clean and Jerk, Snatches, Overhead Squats. I am talking a one day class with Mike Burgener covering Olympic lifts this weekend. I am really looking forward to that as the videos I have seen with coach Burgener from the CrossFit main site have helped me a lot. I snatched 105 the other day, when the main site WOD was 1-1-1-1-1 sets of snatches, and had just watched coach Burgener and tried to interpret some of the direction he gave in the video and it really helped. It was the first time I ever felt like I was getting the snatch technique down at all. I know 105 lbs. is not a lot, but since I have never really done a proper snatch before it was still exciting for me.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Welcome, John! You've been doing this about the same amount of time as I have, and you're nearly as old as me!

I feel your pain about swallowing your pride and making yourself scale down. I'm trying to do recommended weights as much as possible, but scaling as necessary to make sure I get the desired metcon benefit. I'm planning on hitting Starting Strength hard in the late Fall/Winter, and hopefully rolling out of that I'll be able to get back into full CF with recommended weights on everything! I've found the log here to be a great way to keep yourself honest, and there's a ton of really supportive people here (as well as inspirational, the work some of the people put up here in their logs is nothing short of amazing!).
Old 06-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
John Pavlic

Profile:

took a rest day yesterday due to my schedule and then did the Griff Monday 080609 WOD

"Griff"

For time:
Run 800 meters
Run 400 meters backwards
Run 800 meters
Run 400 meters backwards

I ran the workout inside, as I have down all of the running portions of workouts because the weather has been horrible in Washington state where I live, doing the 800 meters on a tread mill and the 400 backwards running on a indoor basketball court. If I had done this outside it would have been a lot faster.

Time was 21:06. I ran about 4:30 800 meters forwards and 5:00-6:00 minutes for the backwards running. I actual ran about 450 meters for the backwards running and then transitioning from the court downstairs to the treadmills upstairs at my gym cost me some time.

I did not break any time barriers, but considering I have only been doing the running in the CrossFit workouts when it comes up in the last 1.5 - 2 months that I had not run for years (except to the fridge during commercials) I felt pretty good on the runs both forwards and backwards. Proof that CrossFits works as a general workout, when it comes to running, because 1-2 weeks have gone by with no running in that time period and I still feel like I am progressing. I need some running shoes though, as opposed to the cross trainers I usually wear.

It was hard to find a pace for the backwards running. I tended towards running too fast at the begining of the 400 meters and wearing out too early.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:55 PM   #7
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Nice work, but... are you entirely sure your avatar is work/family safe?
Old 06-13-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
John Pavlic

Profile:

Stephen S. questioned whether or not my new avatar was work/family friendly. An honest question I think. Personally, I think it is more funny than offensive myself. Anyone care to chime in with their opinion? thanks?
Old 06-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #9
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Just to clarify, I personally think it's hilarious! I just know there are probably people around with more delicate sensibilities...
Old 06-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

Well, it's not something I would use myself, but it won't get you banned.

Please tell me it's not a self-protrait, though . . . .