CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-12-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
Michael Gilkerson

Profile:
Sore knees from air squats

I have been doing squats on the SS protocol and my knees have been sore; no knee problems previously. My adductors are weak as my knees sometimes move in on a heavier lift. Because they were getting sore, I stopped squatting for a couple of weeks and last night I did 4 sets of 10 air squats. My form was good, knees over my toes, good lumbar curve, etc. But by the time I got home the top of my lower leg, in the front was very sore. The only thing I can think is that I am going very deep and driving up pretty hard and maybe that is putting some stress on the front of my lower leg.

Does anyone have any advice? thanks,

Mike
Old 05-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Bill Pontius

Profile:
Re: Sore knees from air squats

Have you been increasing the number of squats over the last few days/weeks? From where the pain is it sounds like patellar tendonitis to me, and often can occur with a jump-up in workload. Not a doc or PT, so you might seek out someone who is if typical treatment (ice, rest, anti-inflammatories) doesn't work. In my experience, tendonitis often gets better after warm-up and worse again after cool-down.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 05-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Jeff Dale

Profile:

Are your knees moving too forward past your toes? Depending on your body type, they could be traveling to far forward over your toes. Heels are not rising at all when you go deep and drive up right? That also can cause knee pain.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

Any chance you can post a video?

Also I'd recommend going over to Rip's section on ************...there's a FAQ thread with a whole lot of different squat critiques....you will more than likely figure out your problem there. If you still have problems, post the vid for Rip to check out.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
Michael Gilkerson

Profile:

Thanks for the input guys. I don't think tendonitis is the problem as its only squats and lunges that seem to bother me. My heels are on the ground as I drive up, so I think maybe I am just going to low. I will check out the ************ site and post a vid. thanks
Old 05-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
William Lee

Profile:
Re: Sore knees from Crossfiting

Hello,

I have been crossfitting since July 2007. I went to the Level 1 Cert in Virginia Beach on March 29, 2008. I realized my technique was off specifically the depth of squats. I bought a Dynamax ball (14 inch) and have been doing everything prescribed with it. The last month and a half my knees are screaming. I warm up thoroughly before every workout. They don't get a chance to recover. Even after one
weeks rest they still hurt. Just sitting down or kneeling kills me. I started taking Glucosmine has not worked yet. I need answers. I am dedicated to crossfit but hard to fight through pain. Anyone? I thank you in advance for your input. (36 year old male, 6'1 195lb)
Old 05-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Sore knees from Crossfiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Lee View Post
Hello,

I have been crossfitting since July 2007. I went to the Level 1 Cert in Virginia Beach on March 29, 2008. I realized my technique was off specifically the depth of squats. I bought a Dynamax ball (14 inch) and have been doing everything prescribed with it. The last month and a half my knees are screaming. I warm up thoroughly before every workout. They don't get a chance to recover. Even after one
weeks rest they still hurt. Just sitting down or kneeling kills me. I started taking Glucosmine has not worked yet. I need answers. I am dedicated to crossfit but hard to fight through pain. Anyone? I thank you in advance for your input. (36 year old male, 6'1 195lb)
If rest doesn't help it then it may be something degenerative depending on your past history of exercise and such. I would get it checked out if it persists.

Also, STOP doing stuff that hurts it. It will never heal if you keep trying to do workouts and push through the pain (if it will heal at all). It will just get worse and worse and permanently damaged. I don't understand why almost everyone who posts here insists on pushing through pain. Seriously.