CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-09-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Travis Hall

Profile:

Unhappy Do I have elbow tendonitis?

I did an excessive workout mixing weighted & kipping pullups last Wednesday. Felt fine after the workout. Even the next day I felt fine. The day after serious DOMS set in. I had never had DOMS in my arms, mostly legs thanks to squats. So this was new, but I didn’t think anything of it. Was mostly located to lower part of the bicep muscle, right above the elbow joint. Also felt sore in the big round muscles on the sides of the upper forearm below the elbow joint.

Well, now it is Saturday. Things have drastically improved. Muscles are not as sore. But I am still surprisingly tender. When straightening the arm and bending the arm I still feel soreness. Applying pressure to the areas circled in the pictures are also sore (Same areas where I had the DOMS). What I am finding especially sore is when I turn my hand away from my body (as shown in the picture).

I have not been doing anything since that workout that involved significant pulling or pressing. A handful of pushups and a few pulls to help blood flow. Pulls kept to around 3. I do not have any pain when gripping or squeezing. No significant pain when doing pullups. No pain at all when in dead hang.

So am I being a sissy and just still sore after being ‘too hard’ on myself. Or did I give myself tendonitis?

Comments, questions, and tips appreciated. I need to get back on the bar!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arm01.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	1335  Click image for larger version

Name:	arm02.jpg
Views:	882
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1336  
Old 02-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Darren Zega

Profile:  
Re: Do I have elbow tendonitis?

Travis,

Regardless of the cause, I've found, from a recent hip injury, that Mark Rippetoe's method of rehab exercise works phenomenally well. (Link, WFS) He states later on in the post that he recommends it for any type of orthopedic injury before pursuing further care.

It might be tendonitis, tendonosis (which are two entirely different, often misdiagnosed conditions), a sprain...whatever. My doctor told me to stay off what he diagnosed as a sprained vastus lateralis and it kept hurting. A week later I started Rippetoe's program (it hurts like all h*** the first few times, btw) but now, three days in, my hip feels much better.

The moral of the story, I guess, is don't wrapped up in trying to find out exactly what's going on inside you - the only way to know 100% is to cut yourself open and see. Just worry about the symptoms and what fixes the problem.

Last edited by Darren Zega : 02-09-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Brad Davis

Profile:

The lowest circle on your first pic looks like the golfer's elbow location. BEWARE this one especially. I'm finding (and reading from others) that GE is brutally difficult to recover from. I gave myself a case last July and it might be halfway better now. That kills pullups. I can do DL and cleans with straps.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

You are just sore from high volume.

Second picture indicates your supinator muscle is also sore.

It's very doubtful that you can give yourself tendonitis from one workout although possibly like 5-10 although that's unlikely. Generally, tendonitis/tendonosis develops from repetitive overuse not from one workout.

If anything, it would be more rhabdo-like which is too much in one working. If I had to compare it to something I think "overtraining" which is repetitive overreaching (or underrecovery) without allowing enough time for recovery obviously is more like tendonitis (where your tendons can't recovery from the repetitive stress you put on them).
Old 02-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
Travis Hall

Profile:

I figured if had to ask it probably wasn’t the ‘evil T.’ I guess I just wanted some reassurance.

Steven, from your post am I to assume tendonitis develops slowly? It doesn’t just set in one day? Therefore I should be aware of soreness that doesn’t go away or decrease after work outs?

Darren, thanks for the link. That reaffirms my belief in keeping the blood flowing to the injured area.

I guess I’ll keep on taking it easy for the next week before going back to weights.

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #6
Travis Hall

Profile:

Just an update. Definitely wasn't tendonitis.

For those who didn’t- I highly recommend reading Darren’s link to Rip’s site. Great info that works. Did 5x5 pullups with 75lbs tonight and everything felt as good as ever.

T.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Hall View Post
I figured if had to ask it probably wasn’t the ‘evil T.’ I guess I just wanted some reassurance.

Steven, from your post am I to assume tendonitis develops slowly? It doesn’t just set in one day? Therefore I should be aware of soreness that doesn’t go away or decrease after work outs?

Darren, thanks for the link. That reaffirms my belief in keeping the blood flowing to the injured area.

I guess I’ll keep on taking it easy for the next week before going back to weights.

Thanks everyone.
Yes. You can generally tell PAIN from soreness.