CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
Adam Glenos

Profile:
Why no Glute Ham RAISE on the GHD?

When I first started crossfitting 3 months ago i was very pleased to see the Glute Ham as an essential piece of equipment. However, i have yet to see it used for the Glute Ham Raise (wfs).

GHRs are one of the BEST posterior chain exercises, especially for developing strength in the hamstrings. It is VITAL for any sprinter at any level, and a movement which i have never seen a suitable substitute. Why are they never used in the WODs? I cannot understand this, especially seeing that most CF gyms are outfitted with a GHD already.

Even without the proper equipment, the Glute Ham Raise can be done partner-assisted (wfs) or with something to hold your feet down (wfs). I think these and some short-distance work (<400m) would be a welcomed and valuable addition to the WODs.

Answers? Thoughts?
Old 02-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Why no Glute Ham RAISE on the GHD?

I seem to remember it being suggested as a fairly non-functional movement. But who knows.

If nothing else, the difficulty may just be prohibitive; aren't these very challenging to do at full ROM?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I agree. I had this same thought a while ago. I do them a couple of times/week when I can remember on my ghd and love them. I would think that they're as functional as a hip or back extension, but I am probably wrong if Coach hasn't implemented them.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

I've recently starting working them into my warm-up after seeing them in SS. With so much focus on POSE - and its required hamstring strength - recently, I am a bit surprised that GH raises haven't shown up. DLs and squats provide quite a bit of work for the hammies already, but nothing like the concentric contraction associated with pulling the feet to the *** I feel while doing these.

And Brandon, they were definitely difficult at first, but I built them up fairly quickly. Any experienced CFer will have no difficulty doing the same.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Olympic lifts might be the answer to this one.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Most CF gyms don't have a lot of GHR machines compared to say space outside to run or DBs/barbells which can be used to do oly lifts.

In addition, they are too hard for most of the CF community. Making massive amounts of subs really sucks.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:05 AM   #7
Jason Borzych

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Most CF gyms don't have a lot of GHR machines compared to say space outside to run or DBs/barbells which can be used to do oly lifts.

In addition, they are too hard for most of the CF community. Making massive amounts of subs really sucks.
So in your opinion, if you have a GHD and the strength to do the exercise through a full ROM, would this exercise serve well in the crossfit regime.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:59 AM   #8
Kris Warner

Profile:

GHR, like any exercise, need time to be able to do. You don't start ring work with a muscle up. You work up to it. The learning curve for GHR is fairly fast. Start with a stick to get back up or use your arms and provide some momentum from the bottom. Within a month I was able to do 3 sets of 10 full ROM. I think the argument that they are hard is a poor one, because many of the CF exercises are hard at first.

As far as being functional...my hammies lead me out of the whole when I squat so the carry over was there. Great posterior chain movement none the less. Frank Yang does them weighted and he has a 40" vertical and 60"+ box jump...that's enough for me
Old 02-05-2008, 04:56 AM   #9
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

I asked this question at my last certification and the answer I got was that it was more of an isolation type movement. I personally disagree and think it's a great movement.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:25 AM   #10
Joey Powell

Profile:

Anthony, I agree with you.

We do glute-ham raises along with Reverse-hypers... everyone does them here and everyones' squatting and deadlifting have improved dramatically since we included it in the warm-up. We just have people use a broom stick to help with the movement until they have a strong enough posterior chain to do it unassisted. So far everyone makes the leap with in a couple of weeks.

side note: the Reverse Hyper machine has rehab-ed 3 clients lower backs that could not squat or deadlift heavy due to injury before they came to the Compound and it keeps several others lifting heavy who would normally have to keep the weights more moderate . This thing is worth its weight and price.

Last edited by Joey Powell : 02-05-2008 at 05:27 AM.