CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-27-2004, 01:17 PM   #1
Nic Nakis

Profile:
As I read through the comments I notice that a lot of people are improvising and substituting and making do.

I used to chock that up to inadequately outfitted gyms, but the comments I see now give me the impression that more people are trying to make crossfit work in their basement and their backyard.

To me, that is a hopeful sign of a fitter, saner future. It means that people are opening themselves up to functionality and variance, but it also means that more people are finding the confidence to exercise outside the 'meat market' gyms. Most importantly, perhaps, it means that people are taking fitness outside the capitalist, corporate control of 24-Hour Fitness and World Gym and personalizing it--making it something more real and more permanent.

Thoughts? Comments?
Old 12-27-2004, 06:32 PM   #2
Alan C. Pagle

Profile:  
100%...I was talking to some guy the other day about my Gym (an ATG with SBGi) when he said "well to really make money what you want to do is train somebody else to do what you do and then make money off of them" I was like..."What and let them have all the fun??!" He just did not get it. Told, me I needed to run our place like a "Gold's". I told him yeah right...scare people into exercising because no one will talk to them at parties. He just did not get it.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:06 PM   #3
Brian Mulvaney

Profile:
As I read through the comments I notice that a lot of people are improvising and substituting and making do.

Sure. This is *the* fitness website for folks whose operating philosophy is "improvise, adapt, overcome".

I used to chock that up to inadequately outfitted gyms, but the comments I see now give me the impression that more people are trying to make crossfit work in their basement and their backyard

Yes. And in schools and barns and company warehouses and firebases and lots of other places.

To me, that is a hopeful sign of a fitter, saner future. It means that people are opening themselves up to functionality and variance, but it also means that more people are finding the confidence to exercise outside the 'meat market' gyms. Most importantly, perhaps, it means that people are taking fitness outside the capitalist, corporate control of 24-Hour Fitness and World Gym and personalizing it--making it something more real and more permanent.

Yes Nic, this is the future of fitness and you are helping to make it. The real issue is not "taking fitness out of the gym". It is redefining what it means to be "fit" along with reclaiming the concept of the gym.

The problem with 24-Hour Fitness, World Gym, et al, is not that they are "capitalist" or "corporate" and that they ask for your money. It's that do a lousy job of delivering fitness and are, for the most part, a poor place to find friendship and community.

There is no anti-commercial bias to CrossFit. In fact, it is quite the opposite. CrossFit is so unabashedly free enterprise that you are strongly encouraged to start your own CrossFit facility. You don't even have to pay to use the methods. You only pay a modest sum if you want to affiliate and use the name. Oh, and there is no "CrossFit" branded equipment to buy, either. How's that for free market capitalism?

CrossFit is successful because the protocol flat out works and is a magnet for the kind of people you'd want to hang out with. You can get some of the benefits of the protocol training on your lonesome in the basement. But you only get the full experience when you enjoy the company of other CrossFiters. So Nic, bust through whatever barrier is holding you back, and come out to CrossFit North for SOS on January 8th and you will see what I'm talking about.

Basement and backyard CrossFit home gyms are larval CrossFit affiliates. The magic ingredient is not the equipment, it's the people. I'm about 90% equipped over here on the Eastside with my carport gym. What's missing is not the glute-ham machine, it's the other CrossFiters. Believe me, there is a business to be had in bringing them together.

Brian

Old 12-28-2004, 01:44 AM   #4
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Brian,
Right on. I was going to try and cobble together something along the same lines, but it wouldn't have been nearly as eloquent.

Some of us might remember the whole Mel Siff and CrossFit discussion from a few years ago. One of the things that he mentioned is that CrossFit was not a complete "holistic" training program because it did not address the body, mind and spirit. At first I thought, what the @#$!. But I have come to realize that the community aspect of CrossFit addresses the mind and spirit better than anything else out there. I don't care how many candles you light. The scent of sandalwood has nothing on hanging out with CrossFitters, in person or online. Nothing. We kick sandalwood's ***.

Tyler
Old 12-28-2004, 07:22 AM   #5
Donn Venema

Profile:

Tyler, I think you've hit on a terrific, if cryptic, new slogan for a t-shirt.

Crossfit.com
We kick sandalwood's ***.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:28 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Excellent post Brian! There was a recent article on t-nation.com which discussed a study concerning long term complience to an exercise program. Of all of the indicators, crossfit had them all, the program is challanging, it changes, and it has community. I read the interview regarding the study and started to feel sorry for myself because I don't have training partners, then I realized I have at least a hundred partners, right here. . .this is my fitness community. By the way I want the Glassman's to make money hand over fist, because they provide a great service. We all should be buying t-shirts and CFJ's and DVD's, you get all of that stuff, which you will use, for less than 1/4 of a Lifestyle Fitness membership!
Old 12-28-2004, 12:32 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/6783.jpg
Old 12-28-2004, 01:04 PM   #8
Laura Rucker

Profile:
LOL, Lynne!

I need that for the door of my "workout" room. All the machines are shoved in the corner and all I use are the O weights and the pullup bar! And the bench when your namesake comes around.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:14 PM   #9
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Brian-

That is one of the BEST posts EVER on this board.
Robb
Old 12-28-2004, 05:20 PM   #10
Jonathan Kessler

Profile:
You go, Brian! Also Lynne, et. al.
"Larval Affiliate" and "We Kick Sandalwood's ***", all in one thread!
But Lynne, are you calling all us Larval crossfitters maggots?
:biggrin::biggrin:
JK