CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-31-2007, 09:50 AM   #21
Drew Raymond

Profile:
Re: Clydesdale Division (200+ lbs) Pullups

Hey Guys I am 6' 4" and 220. I have been in the Marines for over 14 years so I have been doing pull-ups awhile. I find that I do have a disadvantage with my buddy who I work out with seeing that he is 135lbs but at the same time I think I do well for my size. PR kipping 32 strict 25. I do agree though that squats and thrusters are pretty tough for me but I figure I get a break on some exercises so I guess and can't complain. I also do pull-ups almost everyday my plan has been I pick a number of pull-ups that is my goal say 30 strict then I double it to 60. Then I break that up into sets say I do 10 sets of 6 which I start each set on the minute so it takes me 10 minutes to do the 10 sets. Then once that is easy I will up the number of reps per set which lowers the sets and the amount of time I have. It has worked so far I hope to be at 30 strict in the next couple months. If you look at the Armstrong or Recon Ron pull-up programs both suggest pull-ups 5 to 6 days a week. Just what I do and it seems to work for me pretty well.

Drew
Old 12-31-2007, 10:17 AM   #22
Eric Douglas

Profile:

Very inspiring guys. I'm glad to hear that those kind of numbers are possible for the bigger more experienced guys. I'm still a newbie to CF - a month or two - and I started out with zero pullups. I'm up to two now from a dead hang. I have to kick like crazy to get the second one, but I'm getting it. I intend on getting 20 consecutive in 2008. I'm not sure if that is a reasonable goal, but I'm going to die trying...
Old 12-31-2007, 10:54 AM   #23
John McBrien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bruce Mailman View Post
I don't believe that bodyweight isn't a factor in limiting pull ups, or any other bodyweight exercise, as the owner of Crossfit Alexandria stated.
I agree the heavier are disadvantaged in pull-ups but there are those few exceptions. Those guys/gals make me jealous!
Old 12-31-2007, 11:38 AM   #24
Brian Vandewettering

Profile:

Hi Eric,

I'm 250/6'4" and was able to squeeze out 25 kipping pullups for Eugene's Birthday Pullup Challenge. I started out where you were about 14 months ago and built from there by doing pullups for almost every WOD. Real progress started to come after I built a pullup bar in my garage and picked up the pullup bands from Iron Woody. Using bands really helped me get a feel for kipping much better than by using the gravitron. In addition, having the bar at home allowed me to practice pullups many times a day. Six weeks after getting the bands and the home pullup bar I was doing 10 kipping pullups in a row with no assistance. Lastly, the WODS with pullups, starting with Cindy and then Helen, gave me some reasonable targets to shoot for in stringing together consecutive pullups when fatigued.

One important thing to avoid is going to failure. Every time I test for max reps, which of course involves going to failure, I experience a pretty severe drop in pullup performance, which takes a week or more to recover from. Unless it's a test or competition, always leave a couple in the tank.

Good luck,

Brian
Old 12-31-2007, 12:26 PM   #25
James Falkner

Profile:

Heavier guys (like me, 6'2" 225#) can do less pullups, but we get an easier time on lifting heavy-ish weights multiple times, like in Fran. So it all evens out. BTW I can do 25 straight through when I'm fresh, and when I do Fran everything is unbroken (4:48 is my PR). Sometimes it takes me several seconds to walk from the thruster station to the PU station, even if they are right next to each other
Old 12-31-2007, 01:04 PM   #26
Rafe Kelley

Profile:

I fluctuate between 195-200 pull ups I am up to 17 strict pull ups and 30 kippers last time I tested myself.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:39 PM   #27
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Falkner View Post
Heavier guys (like me, 6'2" 225#) can do less pullups, but we get an easier time on lifting heavy-ish weights multiple times, like in Fran. So it all evens out. BTW I can do 25 straight through when I'm fresh, and when I do Fran everything is unbroken (4:48 is my PR). Sometimes it takes me several seconds to walk from the thruster station to the PU station, even if they are right next to each other

Yeah seriously. A thread could just as easily be made guys that weigh 150 or something about how disadvantaged they are at having to do 21 consecutive deadlifts, but I don't so any. Maybe I missed them though. Nobody is going to be great at everything, that's the idea. Just be happy with what does come easy to you and work your hardest to imrove on what doesn't come easy.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:13 PM   #28
Nicholas Hahn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Douglas View Post
Very inspiring guys. I'm glad to hear that those kind of numbers are possible for the bigger more experienced guys. I'm still a newbie to CF - a month or two - and I started out with zero pullups. I'm up to two now from a dead hang. I have to kick like crazy to get the second one, but I'm getting it. I intend on getting 20 consecutive in 2008. I'm not sure if that is a reasonable goal, but I'm going to die trying...
Just do about 50 per day throughout the day. You'll be surprised how much your numbers will improve in just a few weeks.

I'm 6'4" 205 lbs and can do 35. I'm trying for 40 in a couple of days. I love doing the little guy stuff better than them, because then I can do the big guy stuff better than them, too. It's *a lot* easier getting up to 40 pull-ups for a big guy than for a small guy to pull a sub 1:25 500 meter (at least that's what it seems like to me). Look at it as a challenge, rather than a weakness. The real hard stuff is the pistols and and the handstand push-ups. I'm still working on higher volume for the HSPUs.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:05 PM   #29
Andy Shirley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Yeah seriously. A thread could just as easily be made guys that weigh 150 or something about how disadvantaged they are at having to do 21 consecutive deadlifts, but I don't so any. Maybe I missed them though. Nobody is going to be great at everything, that's the idea. Just be happy with what does come easy to you and work your hardest to imrove on what doesn't come easy.
Matt,
You must have missed the countless, countless threads and main page comments concerning the little/weaker guys scaling the weights and whether to go as Rx'd and slow, or lighten the weight and go faster.

As a note, those same threads have been applied to the bigger/stronger guys scaling up the weight. Some WODs are designed to even this kind of thing out with two types of movements(Diane, Fran, Nancy, Elizabeth). Also, many of the WOD's take this into account with a Rx'd % BW on the lifts(Lynne, Linda, Christine). Some definitely favor one particular type: Grace, Isabel, CFT on the heavy end; Angie, Barbara, Cindy, Mary on the light end.

/Rant on
I would finish by saying that everyone needs to stop yapping so much and get back to training. (not so much here as thats what the boards are for, but on the main page comments. Legit questions are ok, but keep it on topic, post results on the comments for the day it is posted, not on the comments for three days later when you did it). I can hardly even get through the main page comments for all the chit chat.
//Rant off
Old 12-31-2007, 11:02 PM   #30
James Falkner

Profile:

IMO the linear comments for each day's WOD are totally worthless. I need threading or else I get lost in the noise. I'm surprised it's survived this long given the number of people posting to the single thread.