CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-30-2007, 11:42 AM   #11
Justin Gross

Profile:
Re: Clydesdale Division (200+ lbs) Pullups

I'm 6'/205

After repeated lifting injuries a couple years ago I decided to 'start over' and focus on simple bwe's. My pull up program was this:

1st week- do 1 pull up before work in the morning, one after work at night every day religiously
(if you can't do 1 start with negatives, jump up and slowly lower yourself as you count to five)

2nd week- do 2 pull ups...

Dead hang pr- 21
Kipping pr- 28
Old 12-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #12
Dan Heaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Gross View Post
I'm 6'/205

After repeated lifting injuries a couple years ago I decided to 'start over' and focus on simple bwe's. My pull up program was this:

1st week- do 1 pull up before work in the morning, one after work at night every day religiously
(if you can't do 1 start with negatives, jump up and slowly lower yourself as you count to five)

2nd week- do 2 pull ups...

Dead hang pr- 21
Kipping pr- 28
That's how I got my numbers up. I did them everyday. I would do 100 every morning. 10 x 10 with a min or so break.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
Travis Loest

Profile:

6'2" was sitting around 225# with a max of 18 reps. I fell off the wagon and put on some weight and at 245# can only knock out about 8-9. Gotta burn off the fat!!
Old 12-30-2007, 04:34 PM   #14
John McBrien

Profile:

An active duty Marine at CrossFit Alexandria weighs 230 pounds and can do 30 strict pull-ups and 45 kipping pull-ups. I learned this after Rudy, the CF Alexandria owner, shared with me that he no longer believed such a bodyweight to be a limiting factor in performing pull-ups. He also said there was another Marine who weighed 220 pounds and had roughly the same numbers.

I only weigh 155 pounds and I'm no where near those numbers. Needless to say, I'm a little bit jealous. I guess I should go grease the groove.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #15
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Oh boy.....I am a clydesdale and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Unfortunately, I can't do official "chin ups." Mine are more "nose ups." But my PR is 24 consecutive "nose ups" from a dead hang with wrist wraps. Without straps, I've done 15. I'm 260. When I did the 24, I was 20 pounds lighter. Right now, I might be able to do, guessing, 12 without straps and maybe, big maybe, 18 to 20 with straps.

Again, I can't do chin ups. I don't know if I should hang my head, but I every time I do, my rotator cuffs kill me. So I've avoided the over execution of the movement since I started doing pull ups.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #16
Michael Bruce Mailman

Profile:

I don't believe that bodyweight isn't a factor in limiting pull ups, or any other bodyweight exercise, as the owner of Crossfit Alexandria stated.

While it's clear from this thread that big guys can do high rep body weight exercises, they will always be disadvantaged against guys with smaller builds. It's just basic physics- you need more power to move more weight, which means your muscles will burn out faster.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:10 PM   #17
Allan Luomala

Profile:

I'm just shy of 200#, and although I would like to use my weight as an excuse for doing poorly, I know that it is mostly in my head. My max (kipping) pull-ups in a row was yesterday, for 18, during Barbara (I'm a few days behind). I was hoping to get the 20, but my shoulder was starting to feel funny (at full extension). It went downhill from there (sets of 6 or 7), as I was favouring my weaker shoulder, and I think that some of the damage I did in my youth (poor training techniques, goofing off whilst drinking ) is coming back to haunt me.

I also have "golfers" elbow, which started around the time that I started doing lots of kipping pullups (about 1 year ago), so that has limited how much I do. I laid off of them for a while, but it didn't help so much, so now I am trying to manage keeping the numbers up (15+) without getting stupid (and hurt). Being bigger, and older (39) doesn't help, but I don't want to let it limit me. I know that I will likely never get to 100 in a row, but I want to try for 50, and then 75.... Carrot and stick, carrot and stick....

AL
Old 12-31-2007, 08:09 AM   #18
Larry Lindenman

Profile:

205, or so, about 45-50 pullups, depending on the day. These are kipping pullups and I am very efficient with the form. I've had over 40 pullups for years. Got there by doing a heck of a lot of pullups, multiple times a day. Every day, pre wod, I knock 10X3 pullups for warmup, so my solution has been volume. When I got up to 210-215 (dropped metcon and went all O-lifting for 3 months), my pullup numbers went down.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:48 AM   #19
Luke Day

Profile:

Oy, I love this thread! The wee little people don't realize what we have to deal with, us big fellers!

At 215-220, 6'4", I'm big and long, and it helps on some things (rowing, wallball, suprisingly deadlifts) and blows on other things (squats, thrusters, muscle ups), because we are moving more weight over more distance.

My max kipping is 21 (from the first Fran set) and my max strict is about 10. The factor is, in my opinion, not only weight but length of limbs. Shorter lever arms make for a more efficient transfer of power. My ape index is big so the deadlifts are coming easy but the pull-ups come with some amount of deficiency.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:03 AM   #20
Drew Hahn

Profile:

I'm 5'9" and weigh 250. I can do 8-10 strict pull-ups, but I'm not seeing a ton of improvement. One of my goals is to be able to do at least 20 next year. Do you guys do pull-ups every day? I can't imagine doing any other exercise every day, so I'm worried about overtraining.