CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #21
Paul Findley

Profile:
Re: Power curls

Was there not a shot of a guy doing these in "Pumping Iron"? Its been like 20 years since I watched that movie.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:11 AM   #22
Darren Zega

Profile:  

This may get me relentlessly attacked, but I agree with Brandon, I honestly think the power curl is very functional all by itself.

You have something heavy in your hands, you want to get it up to your shoulders. You have to get your hands undeneath it because you can't get a solid grip on top - boom, power curl.

Also, combine it with a reverse grip deadlift...

Wow that sound just like the highly functional excercise we call the tire-flip, except with a barbell instead of a tire, and just happens to be the exactly way I lift 90% of the heavy things in life. Ever picked up a couch before?

Last edited by Darren Zega : 12-17-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:47 AM   #23
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Seriously... I feel like there's some alternate reality where people are doing all of this squat cleaning from the ground with "everyday" weights. When's the last time you guys moved somewhere?
Old 12-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #24
David Aguasca

Profile:

moving sacks of feed, picking up and carrying tree stumps, lifting scenery platforms off the floor...these are all movements that prevent the use of a double overhand grip, require more grip strength than a clean and more bicep action.

i'd say the best thing for these movements would be to train lifting atlas stones. those seem like a beast of a workout.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:21 AM   #25
Joe Celso

Profile:

I'm thinking the power curl is inefficient. If something is heavy enough that you can't just curl it without the use of the hip, then you should be cleaning it. If you can't strict bicep curl or front raise the car seat, you should get your body over it and use your hip.

Last time I moved my brother, I was on the bottom going up/down stairs and I cleaned everything thing heavy/big (thanks crossfit!). If I'm picking up the couch, do I want to shove it towards my brother while my forearm arcs through the curl?

Am I picturing the lift wrong? If the weight goes straight up (verticle path) then I'm just doing an underhand clean. It's still a clean if I pick it up using my hip... and if I go soft in the spine or bend my arm before my hip is done, then I'm just inefficient and just like the masses with bad mechanics.

You still "lift" the sand bag with your hips. If not then you're being inefficient.

Maybe it would be a good move for fast pitch softball pitchers? ...on second thought I don't think it works there either. So far based on what I've read here and my own thoughts, I'm classifying it as a bobybuilding movement that seems like it would hurt my biceps tendons. Actually, at really light loads it could be good tendon rehab- but that's just speculation from someone that really doesn't know.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:57 AM   #26
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Celso View Post
I'm thinking the power curl is inefficient. If something is heavy enough that you can't just curl it without the use of the hip, then you should be cleaning it. If you can't strict bicep curl or front raise the car seat, you should get your body over it and use your hip.

Last time I moved my brother, I was on the bottom going up/down stairs and I cleaned everything thing heavy/big (thanks crossfit!). If I'm picking up the couch, do I want to shove it towards my brother while my forearm arcs through the curl?

Am I picturing the lift wrong? If the weight goes straight up (verticle path) then I'm just doing an underhand clean. It's still a clean if I pick it up using my hip... and if I go soft in the spine or bend my arm before my hip is done, then I'm just inefficient and just like the masses with bad mechanics.

You still "lift" the sand bag with your hips. If not then you're being inefficient.

Maybe it would be a good move for fast pitch softball pitchers? ...on second thought I don't think it works there either. So far based on what I've read here and my own thoughts, I'm classifying it as a bobybuilding movement that seems like it would hurt my biceps tendons. Actually, at really light loads it could be good tendon rehab- but that's just speculation from someone that really doesn't know.
I am tending to agree with inefficient. Almost anything you can "power curl" you can still use some hip explosiveness to put up at shoulder height as well even for stuff like sand bags and odd objects. Anything you can get your hands under even in a supinated grip you can clean pretty much more effectively than you can power curl it.

That's how I lift most odd objects anyway especially when I'm in the gym lifting equipment.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #27
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what we're talking about. Would it make you all feel better if instead of power curl we called it a supinated-grip, hang power clean? - a curl with a hip thrust - ie a clean with your hands the other way - and not inefficient.

Quote:
i'd say the best thing for these movements would be to train lifting atlas stones. those seem like a beast of a workout.
Completely agree.

Last edited by Darren Zega : 12-17-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:41 PM   #28
Brandon Oto

Profile:

I think part of the point here is that you don't always need to maximize the weight you can move. Squat cleaning something you could easily curl (not intentionally isolate the curl, but basically just lift with your arm any old how) would be an egregious waste of energy. If that's what you mean by "efficient," it's not.

This is why I haven't done a whole lot of real-life cleans. For me to put out the energy of actually doing a full extension and dropping under an object to squat it up, it's GOT to be more weight than I can physically lift any other way. And frankly, if it's that heavy, I'm getting help.

You don't clean your coffee mug.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #29
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
You don't clean your coffee mug.
That explains why all my clothes have coffee stains on them.

You have a point about not squat cleaning light weights, and I must admit that I have never squat cleaned any real life object. But haven't you ever hang power cleaned in real life? Much more efficient and you can handle more weight.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:06 PM   #30
David Aguasca

Profile:

i've done a LOT of odd-object HPC and push jerks....it is super efficient!

at the same time, i used to do a lot of curl/front raises with my right arm...basically lifting a nailgun all day long. i wouldn't say you'd want to train this way, for sure, but i did see some pretty significant gains in shoulder and arrm strength.