CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-09-2007, 05:38 AM   #1
James A Merritt

Profile:
Iam 37 yrs old and very close to getting an age waiver to eventually attend BUD/s to become Navy SEAL. Iam looking for the best advice on how to use Crossfit to train for the SEALs. I have been a collegiate athlete and have worked out for years. Any advice on where to start with Crossfit would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
John McBrien

Profile:
James,

First off, a very warm welcome to CF! I have linked to some threads below that may prove helpful.

BUD/S Preparation:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/32607.html

Rucking:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/41037.html

I was directed to also try out books by Stewart Smith. Links are WFS.
http://www.amazon.com/Special-Ops-Workout-Exercise-Operations/dp/1578261325/ref= pd_bbs_5/105-1904196-0906853?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186681467&sr=8-5
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Navy-SEAL-Fitness/dp/1578261716/ref=pd_bbs_ 1/105-1904196-0906853?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186681467&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Fitness-Complete-Guide-Training/dp/1578260604/ref= pd_bbs_sr_2/105-1904196-0906853?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186681981&sr=1-2

I personally have no experience with the military's SOF; these are simply suggestions I was given for my own benefit in preparing. I'm sure that some of the former SOF or current SOF members here on the board will be able to provide you some input as well. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
James A Merritt

Profile:
thank you and thank you for the great information.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
Mark Reinke

Profile:
Also, a CrossFIT San Diego affiliate will be posting WOD's for BUD/S candidates very soon. Having been there myself, I'd suggest the WOD's with some additional pavement pounding, water competency, and rope climbing. Try and avoid the over training before you get there, there will be enough of that coming up. Remember, you mentioned you're 37 and those 18 year olds there heal overnight! You're recovery process is going to be dictated before you arrive, in your conditioning. Believe me, it makes a difference being able to walk out of the compound on Friday night, instead of limping out. Also, keep your flexibility in check to minimize some of the overuse injuries that you'll experience. Keep the hips loose and the shoulders stable. Good luck, and email me if you have any questions!
Old 08-09-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
John McBrien

Profile:
Mark - are they going to be posting those WODs on their website? That sounds like an interesting take on the WOD that many who are contemplating BUD/S or SOF would appreciate.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
Lisa Quinn

Profile:
Welcome James and best wishes on BUDS training~
Lisa
Old 08-09-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
Mark Reinke

Profile:
Yes, in fact here is a link for ya!
http://navyseals.com/crossfit-workout-day
Old 08-10-2007, 05:47 AM   #8
Daniel Freedman

Profile:
To re-inforce something earlier in the thread:
Be sure to check out www.stewsmith.com

Stew is a former Navy SEAL who acted as the talent spotter and personal trainer at the Naval Academy. He went on to write books and develop training programs for aspiring SEALs and law enforcement officers.

Stew is one of world's leading authorities on how to ace fitness tests -- including those required for SEALs. Check out the site. Consider attending one of his clinics and/or getting online or telephone coaching. A personal training session plus 12 weeks of custom workouts (with ongoing consultation) costs a total of $250 -- which is reasonable for all you get.

Stew prepared me for the SEAL Adventure Challenge, a 24 hour simulation of of BUDs training (for which he later became an instructor.) I attended one iof Stew's clinics, then he sent spreadsheets with customized daily workouts. We'd talk or email once a week. The results were spectacular! As a civilian in my mid-40's with only so-so initial fitness, I was in the top half of the class and able to really help my team.

I don't know too many other people who can prepare you for IBS boat carries, beach runs, and other very SEAL-specific stuff. BTW, Stew thinks highly of Crossfit and incorporates some of its principles in his workouts.

Another former Navy SEAL, Jack Walston, who sometimes runs 3 day special forces camps in Texas. Based on my discussions with people who have done it, the camp is more about butt-kicking and mental toughness than learning specific skills. His website is www.sealptcourse.com

(Message edited by Danfreedmn on August 10, 2007)
Old 08-10-2007, 07:09 AM   #9
Daniel Freedman

Profile:
More info on 1 and 5 day simulations of Navy SEAL
training at:

http://www.sealtrainingadventures.com

The next 24 hour simulation of "Hell Week" is October 20, 2007

(Message edited by Danfreedmn on August 10, 2007)
Old 08-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #10
Mark Reinke

Profile:
The only beef I have with Stew Smith's workout is his over-prescribed use of the same pullups, pushups, and situps week in and week out. He doesn't seem to do anything to change the intensity of what you're doing other than adding more mileage to your runs. Personally, I would steer clear of Stew's programming if asked to do it again. It lacked overhead pushing movements (for all that IBS hauling and log pushing), rowing based movements (for all that IBS moving), and squatting (by far your most important movement pattern)! There is a reason why there are so many shoulder/knee issues within BUD/S candidates, for muscle imbalances take over the repetitive movements and produce overcompensation. In the year I've been doing CrossFIT, my body has never felt better or experienced any injuries!