CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-19-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Justin Chandler

Profile:
I have crossfitted for 5-6 months now, and just started the zone.

Any tips are welcome as far as getting into these sports. I'm 34, in pretty good shape, and have caught the fighting bug. After reading Sam Sheridan's book "A Fighter's Heart" I have not wanted something this badly. Thanks in advance for the info!
Old 07-19-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
Andrew Peterson

Profile:
There have been a few similar posts on this board, so I am just rehashing a lot of other people's wisdom, but...I think the first thing is don't rush into it too fast. Take your time and look around to figure out exactly what you want out of the experience. From there you can find a gym that offers the instruction to match your goals and a teacher/environment that meshes with your personality. It is a fun part of the process. Enjoy.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
Justin Chandler

Profile:
I should've done my due diligence and researched first. That was lazy of me. Thanks for the info Andrew....much appreciated.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
Andrew Peterson

Profile:
No need to apologize. I wasn't trying to accuse you of anything. I just wanted to avoid plagurizing the advice that others have given.

One other thing I forgot, be honest and humble with yourself. Don't necessarily throw yourself into a hardcore boxing or MMA gym when your personality is better suited for Tai Chi. When I went through the process I ranked those things that I wanted from the art/sport, found out what was available in my area, and then went visiting places. The nice part is that if it doesn't work out, you've only learned what you don't like.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
Justin Chandler

Profile:
Andrew, thanks so much for the info. Greatly appreciated. Will keep you updated!
Old 08-27-2007, 04:29 AM   #6
Joshua Vernier

Profile:
Re: Wanting to get into boxing, possibly mma

If you can afford it, private or small group lessons are often a great way to start at your specific skill level. It also allows the instructor to provide more individual attention according to your skill level. While you may miss the community and fellowship of some larger classes, you get more intensive, focused training that will eventually develop enough skill and confidence to join a larger class (which is good for the financially-challenged)...or you can continue to receive private lessons. That's my two cents...actually, that was probably three.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:06 AM   #7
Rob Harris

Profile:
Re: Wanting to get into boxing, possibly mma

I'm not saying boxing is useless in MMA, but you probably want to find a Gracie Jiu Jitsu / Thai Boxing type of place in your area and see how you like that kind of training. I know you're pumped after reading the book, but it's going to take quite a bit of time/training before you're close to being ready to fight, IMO.

Good Luck sir.