CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
Todd Greening

Profile:
Just seeing who else in the CF is crossfitting. Hoping to see it in the new AFM this fall. All I can say is that we as a military should have been doing this long ago. Wait now, when I joined I remember rope climbs, body weight exercises, pylometrics, all sorts of fun stuff. Then it went to run,ruck,repeat as required to pass the BFT or deployment training. We should be fit always not when we see that we have to be. Hope to hear back.

Arte et Marte
Old 06-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
Sam Michaud

Profile:
Hi Todd,

There is a good group of people in Ottawa who Crossfit and, as of this summer, we now have two affiliates in town: Capital Crossfit and Crossfit NCR.

I am posted to Halifax this summer but have already been able to track down at least 4 CF Crossfitters in the area.

Sam
Old 06-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
Todd Greening

Profile:
Hi Sam

I know of Capital Crossfit but NCR is new to me. I am posted to Shilo and I am only one of a few that are into it here. As for any training facilities in the area there is nothing setup. I have been talking to a guy from Wpg who is going to be starting something this fall in the city. Which is kind of funny because he is in Halifax till then while his wife finishes her schooling. He has said that he has found a gym that will let him train pretty well flat out, even uses chalk there, yes I know amazing.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
Sam Michaud

Profile:
A real gym that allows chalk? Almost hard to believe these days... do you know what facility he is talking about?

I've given up on most facilities, including DND gyms, and have been building my own home gym. It is a poor substitute for the coaching and motivation you get from a Crossfit affiliate but you do what you have to.

I would have thought Crossfit had hit Shilo by now.

Sam
Old 06-10-2007, 03:23 AM   #5
Michael Manseau

Profile:
Sam,
I haven't heard of the NCR affiliate either. Good luck in Halifax. I'm sure you'll be instrumental in getting some people hooked on the koolaid.
Todd,
As Sam mentioned, I'm surprised as well. There is a good number of Army personnel in Shilo, perhaps you need to rattle the bushes harder?
Good luck

Mike
Old 06-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
Todd Greening

Profile:
Hi All
Going to be in Ottawa over Canada Day. Was hoping to check out this NCR facility. Does anyone have a link to their webpage? Oh, I am trying to get some info on that gym in Halifax for you Sam. Keep checking I'll post when I have it.

As for people interested in Shilo, there is interest, but PSP isn't a big supporter. I actually have been rattling bushes all the way to Brigade and now I have a e-mail sitting on Dr Lee's (Head of PSP) computer in Ottawa. I'm just waiting for the fall out if that one,but hay someone had too. I heard that JT Williams is supposed to be getting posted to the Pat's this fall, so if that happens I'm hoping to see a change around. I'm trying to get my BC on line with it, but everytime he is supposed to come to a class, either he's busy or they cancel PT for that day. So yes I am fighting a up hill battle. I guess that's why I started this theard so I could maybe find some help on my cause and also to find other in the CF who apperciate Crossfit as much as I do.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:32 AM   #7
Sam Michaud

Profile:
The link to Crossfit NCR can be found on the main Crossfit page among the affiliates.

Unfortunately I will miss your visit to Ottawa Todd. The movers come this week and by the 15th I am on the road to Halifax.

Sam
Old 06-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
David Vessey

Profile:
Is there anyone else in the CF on the Air Force side of things that does CrossFit? I'm here in Greenwood for the summer and as far as I can tell I'm the only one. (I figured if there was anyone else, they would have come up and said something when I had my rings set up).

As for facilities, the gym here in Greenwood is decent, a nice new looking York rack with a pull up bar right on it, lots of C2 rowers and finally I've gotten to play with some 20lbs med balls.

The gym in Kingston (I've got one more year left at RMC) is also very nice - four nice racks in the weight room, nice field house track and even some rubber plates.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
Todd Greening

Profile:
Hi David
Talk to Eric at the gym. He's a pretty good guy, he should be interested if not already doing Crossfit.

Later
Todd
Old 06-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #10
Todd Greening

Profile:
Hi Sam

The name of the gym Brendan is using is FitnessFX. He said that they even supply the chaulk,WOW. He also said that they have just bought some rubber weights and dumping is not a problem. He also said that people kind of look at him odd, but hay we are all used to that. If you haven't had someone say, "I'm just tried watching you", then you have to work harder. Have a safe trip to Halifax.

Later
Todd