CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:11 AM   #1
David S Keisler

Profile:
...any up date on Coach Sommers books???
Old 12-15-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I doubt you'll get any answers on that, other than "not yet". This question gets asked distressingly often. Coach Sommers seems to me to a very competent teacher, and likely writer. At the same time, what I am expecting to see is a professional compilation of an awful lot of information that is already available from a number of different sources, combined with his real world experience. If you're not already working on planche progressions, or spending 10 minutes a day inverted against the wall or on rings, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about when it will come out. Read the York Handbalancing courses, 1 and 2. Read Gymnastics and Tumbling, from the 40's or whenever. As far as that goes, read Starting Strength by Rippetoe. There's plenty enough to work on. I'm expecting skill and competence from Coach Sommers, but nothing truly earth-shaking, for those who are already conversant with gymnastics "drills and skills" (another resource).
Old 12-15-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
What Barry said.

I am expecting him to elucidate at least some progressions of exercises I haven't though of though... even though I know a ton about bodyweight stuff. There's always crazy exercises that are possible and effective yet you don't think about them until someone shows you. Then you're like "wow, why didn't I think of that?"

I think the most important part (I hope) of his upcoming book will be on training scheduling mainly... basically stuff on reps, sets, rest time, workout days, etc. This seems to be the most confusing thing to people who don't know anything about bodyweight. With extremely hard exercises you SHOULD train them basically the same as you would with weights. If you're looking to build strength with say DLs you would do low reps at high weight with 2-3 minute rest times. The same is true of any strength move like crosses and such. This is the main problem I see with a lot of people wondering what to do with bodyweight exercises. Tension is tension. They mainly just think of pushups and doing millions of reps... but that's not how you progress.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #4
David S Keisler

Profile:
Thanks Steve & Barry.. @ my age I dont really plan on seiouus planches & iron crosses but am more interested in boby wt routines # of sets reps etc. I finally got 10 consec MUs recently so I just wanted to see what else is out there. I tend to like the Bwt WODs like todays Cindy more so than the DLs & such . I tend to do ring dips instead of BPs
Id rather do weghted PUs than some other exercise. Id like to ge able to do a PU 2x BWT so for me that would be bwt plus 150 lbs : presently Im @ 95 lbs.. Also a OAPU is a goal & I thought gymnastics workouts might be helpful
Thanks again
Old 12-16-2006, 12:33 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
You can do 10 MU. If this was on High bar, you should progress to working the MU into a bar kip. Use a kipping pullup action and end up in support instead of a high pullup. Different technique.
If you can do 10 MU on rings, maybe start working backward rolls on rings or elevators ( granted that you're also working on HSPU, especially on rings ).
Lever work and support work comes before planches and cross work as far as rings. I guess, you could go from L press to ball planche and further without handstand, shoulderstand work. I don't see planches going anywhere without handstands though.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:34 AM   #6
David S Keisler

Profile:
Thanks Blair...sounds like FUN!