CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Hmmm, no mention of CrossFit in Staley's blog. Maybe brilliant minds think alike, but who knows...

http://www.staleytraining.com/rss/index.php?itemid=120
Old 11-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I can't take any "professional" seriously who has that many typos and spelling errors in his article.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
Andrew Nashel

Profile:
Give me a break.

Thrusters are not owned by Crossfit. Doing multiple exercises in a time period is not owned by Crossfit.

Staley's EDT has been around (and published online) since at least February 2002. What was the earliest that Crossfit published online or in widely available sources? The first journal was October 2002, and I don't know about other publications.

Yes, other people think of these concepts too. Casting ridiculous and unfounded aspersions does not reflect well, especially since some simple searching reveals such information.

(Message edited by andrewn on November 10, 2006)
Old 11-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Like I said, it may be a case of brilliant minds thinking alike. CrossFit also published online in February 2002, and its first workout consisted of thrusters.

Again, maybe brilliant minds think alike.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:07 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
No idea who coined the word "thruster"...I had people doing slams with non bouncing med balls and called them "slam balls" before I found crossfit (so does that make me a great mind? That would be a scary thought)...there's only so many names you can come up with. His EDT is 2 exercises SS with 5 reps based on a 10Rmax scheme for 15-20min. Kind of boring with only 2 exercises.

Either way...you will see other businesses always copying each other all the time...just to survive. I think Kettlebells are now classes at Golds, Crunch or one of those Globo Gyms....only a matter of time before they come up with their own Crossfit like program to keep members. Either way, randomized functional interval training is the way of the future and an open source program that anyone can and will use.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:04 AM   #6
Adrian Bozman

Profile:
*sigh*

Is it just me or is 'copies' a fairly negatively charged word in this context?

I think Staley is Right On for taking something that he likes (assuming he is in fact taking the term thruster from crossfit nomenclature) and applying it to his theories. Isn't that what Crossfit has done with, well, everything?

If Staley is using thrusters, great. Crossfit has (arguably once again) fed back into the greater strength and conditioning (or whatever you want to call it) community, which it has undeniably taken from. The serious strength and conditioning community is not that large. There is going to be some overlap. Most of those that claim anything radically new are trying to sell you membership in their cardio-lasso-striptease-spin-bosu-mega class.

Thinking about this is starting to make me spiral off in too many tangents to be contained in one thread. It is frustrating. Andrew is absolutely correct. If Crossfit and the people who believe in it truly want to better the larger fitness community, we've got to get out of this suspicious 'I got here first' mentality. It seems like too many here are just interested in the comradery of being persecuted for doing 'strange' workouts, then reveling in the huge internet equivelent of the almighty 'I told you so', than to actually spread useful information. We've got to try harder. We have a lot to contribute.

Bottom line:
Staley has some great stuff. Crossfit has some great stuff. Use what you need to get where you want to go. Isn't that more Crossfit than Crossfit? Did I just blow your mind??

Old 11-11-2006, 06:55 AM   #7
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
That was perfect adrian
Old 11-11-2006, 09:56 AM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
There has been nothing new invented in fitness except new combinations of ideas. Crossfit is very old-school in many respects compared to many, many fitness programs.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:40 AM   #9
Mike Rosenberg

Profile:
Aren't we all just performing varieties of one of the many Weider principles?
Old 11-11-2006, 12:16 PM   #10
Skip Chase

Profile:
??????

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com