CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:42 AM   #1
Steven Schneblin

Profile:
Greetings Y,all, GOD bless everyone at crossfit,moderators and members alike.What an awesome cornucopia of info. I have blindly stumbled into err.. onto. You guys and gals are just what the doctor ordered. First off my name aint Gracie,Ali,Shamrock or any other champion living or dead. I am just a dude that enjoys all that life throws at him good or bad. Thank GOD for my wife and children to keep me in check….And oh yeah training….Did I mention training? Ever since I found your web site a couple days ago I have been totally engrossed in all it has to offer. One of the comments I read stated that the writer felt he was stealing info. from you and he was offering to pay for it. I am totally empathetic to his plight. What you are offering is being sold for hundreds of dollars at other websites! Another testimony to your site is the graciousness of your readers.I made a feeble attempt to post the other day only to have my post end up in the wrong thread. Beth Moscov and Graham Hayes came to my rescue and gave me excellent advice on my training. Well here I am again! Hopefully in the right place. For as long as I can remember I have been doing body weight only exercises. These include hill and stair sprints along with ground and bar routines. All stemming from old school tried and true calisthenics’. Since variety is the spice of life i am constantly adding my own flare to old school methods. I hope it is not minded by any one that I post a few routines that I might receive feed back pos. or neg. And maybe just maybe I in turn can give something back to all of you that give sooo much! P.S. My name is Steven. I live in San Diego CA. I am 46 yrs. Young 6ft.5 188 lbs. P.S.S. What the heck is a WOD …………………………………………?
Old 03-03-2005, 06:14 AM   #2
David Easton

Profile:
Welcome to Crossfit...but thats a damm big post!
Old 03-03-2005, 07:17 AM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
OK, pics resized to something reasonable:
Please have some consideration for the server space and for people on dial-up!

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/8086.jpg
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/8087.jpg
Old 03-03-2005, 07:41 AM   #4
Seth Drown

Profile:
Welcome, Steven! I recommend easing into the WOD (which, BTW, is the first thing you see when you go to the crossfit homepage) and reading the FAQ found here:

http://www.mitymous.net/weights/xfitfaq.htm

We use a lot of bodyweight stuff, so you will no doubt find that part relatively easy. However, when we do circuits, we do them for time, which means not resting more than absolutely necessary (ideally none). We also use weights (o-lifts, powerlifting, etc), which will give you a nice change of pace (and a challenge, I imagine). Have fun and ask questions. IMHO, this is the *best* forum you are likely to find.

P.S. Be sure to download the free "What is Fitness" issue of the Crossfit Journal. It will give you an excellent overview of what we are doing.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:04 AM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Steven:

Ditto on everything Seth said (great post, Seth).

The "WOD" stands for "Workout Of the Day", and, as Seth says, it's what you see right down the center of the CrossFit main page. Older, archived workouts (and the discussion / comments that followed them) can be reached via the links on the right-hand side of the page.

Another resource you can use to get answers to questions is the excellent "search" functionality built into the message board (or on the main page of CrossFit). Lots of questions come up regularly; it's usually worth trying to hunt in past messages a bit before posting, because someone may have dealt with that question before (and possibly with better answers than you'll get this time). (Don't try to search for "WOD", however ... you'll get 10,000 hits.)

Awesome situp in those photos, by the way. Thanks, Lynne, for making them manageable.

Dave
Old 03-03-2005, 09:33 AM   #6
Jim Butts

Profile:
Steven, also check out 'Lynne Pitts' Official CrossFit FAQ' at the top of the heading 'Friends of CrossFit' down the right margin on the main page. Answers to common questions, (including 'what's a WOD?'), links to the CrossFit videos, and other geat stuff...
Old 03-03-2005, 10:28 AM   #7
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Welcome steven. Since your in SD, you might want to check out http://www.brandxmartialarts.com/. They are an affiliate in Ramona and you could drive up one day for a crossfit workout. Jeff Martin and his family run the program. It is pretty cool to get smoked by his son Connor. You are also right near Mike's Gym when you feel the desire to learn some olympic lifting. May as well go right to the best, huh?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
Steven Schneblin

Profile:
Hey again,Beth,Jim,David W.,Seth,and last but not least David E. Did i forget any one? You people sure know how to make a newbie feel welcome! Great links and great information from all.Appoligize for the big posts as i am learning the ins and outs of this forum.Also it looks like the video format is unrecognizable to most players.I have converted the files to wma and will try again.It sounds like i need to post maybe 2 at a time due to bandwidth constraints.So be it. Oh and Beth Hot local links you gave me.Ramona is a bit far from where i am at but evrything is far from Ramona.Going to check out http://www.brandxmartialarts.com/. Today. Well GOD bless and you people have a safe day! Steven P.S hope the videos work.....
Old 03-03-2005, 12:36 PM   #9
Ron Nelson

Profile:
"but everything is far from Ramona."
I know Jeff is busy with Connor's upcoming black belt test, but he'll get a kick out of that line!
Contact Mike Burgener about learning o-lifts. He's a super nice guy and will forget more about training than I'll ever know.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:38 PM   #10
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Oh, and if you're feeling guilty, subscribe to the CrossFit Journal. It's only $25 a year and worth twice as much (am I underestimating?).
See the Journal link on the main page.