CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-27-2005, 07:22 PM   #11
Ross Greenberg

Profile:

That's the thing, Kevin, with Pavel's strength training methods like GTG you're supposed to get great results without ever pushing yourself to the limit (KB lifting for conditioning is another story though I think.) It is a very appealing idea to many, though I would personally either push myself far too hard or bore myself to death on such a program.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:30 PM   #12
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Personally, I live by the code of hardcorage, which means inducing maximum awesome out of workouts, hahaha.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:48 PM   #13
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Ross,

The aim of GTG training is to stay as fresh as possible by doing submax sets so that you can do a much higher volume of "practice" in a specific exercise. There is nothing about GTG training that aims to avoid intensity, its just a consequence of the overall volume of the exercise being done.

In general i've found GTG to work very well for things like pullups and also for practicing things like pistols and one arm pushups when I was learning them at first. Having said that i've also seen big improvements in my pullup numbers from doing the WODs the past few weeks.

KB conditioning is a different animal all together and can be damn hard work if you push yourself but its purpose is different to GTG.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:25 AM   #14
Coach

Profile:

Bill Fox got messed up. He’s proud of 23 rounds, but it’s not very good for someone who publicly speaks of their own fitness in glowing terms. My girls do a lot better and don’t speak as highly of themselves. Kelly, Bill, is an attorney – don’t judge him by his words.

Bill Fox “got some” the other night and his blaming salmon and green beans has the home team rolling in the aisles, because we hear that kind of nonsense all the time. “It must have been my dinner” has long been an inside joke among CrossFit trainers.

Let’s get this straight, everyone, being nauseous in waves for 8 hours is not an uncommon experience for overreaching novices.

For my first exposure with the Concept II Rower I decided to blend hot 500’s with pull-ups: 3X 500/21 kind of thing. Pure CF. I wasn’t right in a big and horrible way all through the night, Bill, but in the morning I bought a rower. That’s the key.

Imagine had I instead gone on to some website (not Concept II’s!) and spoken of the horrors of mixing rowing and pull-ups out one side of my mouth while concluding that it really wasn’t the ineffective and dangerous (love the pairing) workout but my salmon, or green beans, or the wife, or whatever out the other side. Bill knows inside what happened inside.

(Remember “The Mr. Bill Show" from Saturday Night Live? This is “Mr. Bill finally does a workout” or “Mr. Bill goes to CrossFit.” Ooooooooh! Is Greg Amundson “Sluggo”?)

I respect Bill Fox for his efforts and suggest that next time he has a date with Cindy he can still bring the wife and order the salmon and green beans and the experience will be more pleasurable until he reaches for the likes of Kelly or Doc Hockenberry or the rest of the megafit.

And for the record, the difference between them and Bill, between Bill getting sick at 23 rounds one time and not the next, between someone getting sick at 23 rounds initially and not until 30 later is, in each instance, “fitness”.

Bill, Adam Walinsky did 24 rounds he’s in his 70’s. Lynne got 25 rounds, Kelly 28. Connor is 13 and got 34 rounds. You came in 25th place among those who posted that day and it doesn’t sound like you think it was worth it. The truth is that the worth of the effort is perfectly and dramatically tied to what you do next. Should you run and hide at DD and snipe at CF and CF’ers from that venue you won’t become any fitter. Should you moderate your effort a little next time and stay determined to better your performance incrementally you will come to the fitness of the folks who bettered your score in comfort.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:29 AM   #15
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I'm sure this has been a common experience, but I've personally experienced elevated heart rates throughout the night many times. It has gotten less and less the more CrossFit I've done. Frankly, I used to get that effect on occasion when I was doing Kettlebell type workouts too. If you spend a long time at or near max heartrate, and your body isn't used to that, it takes a while to come back down.

When it comes back down quickly, that is, as Coach said, fitness. I think it is a truism among people who consistently do these workouts that they are ALWAYS harder than they look, and the effects are not just in the gym, which is the whole point. Neuroendocrine response.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:38 AM   #16
Brian Gibson

Profile:
Honestly, it sounds like he caught something known as the "stomach virus" or "stomach bug"(That's what we call it around here) and it just happened to coincide with the fact that he did "Cindy" that day.

I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Usually happens once a year. I puked several times throughout the night and you feel like total crap. It is over rather quickly, considering everything. The following day you are not "well" and you don't feel great, but you are over it. Usually about 2 days after the ordeal you are fine.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:02 AM   #17
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Go easy on the attorneys Coach!:happy:
Old 03-28-2005, 11:16 AM   #18
Laura Rucker

Profile:
I wanted to comment on here without calling Bill Fox out. First, I dont' know the guy. And second, I've been doing this for 6 months and others who commented have been doing this a lot longer. Bill Fox is obviously a fit guy. I'm a newbie to the whole fitness thing.

One of the things that keeps me coming back to CrossFit is that it levels EVERYONE. If you get your "ass handed to you" (assuming it wasn't the fish and he insists that he DID NOT get his *** handed to him, evidenced by his score of 23) and you don't come back then what have you proven?

I get my *** handed to me every freakin' day. I can't quit.

Your score is not what shows how fit you are. it's only ONE measure of the progress you are making - AGAINST YOURSELF! Not how you placed against the others who posted their scores. Agreed with Coach, if you come back and do it over and over and you keep getting better, that's what shows whether CrossFit makes monsters or not.

Also, I loved all of Tyler Haas' responses on DD. Classy.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:38 AM   #19
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Laura, great post. "I get my *** handed to me every freakin' day. I can't quit." Me too.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:47 AM   #20
Laura Rucker

Profile:
:biggrin:

That's what separates the CrossFitters from SANE people, Larry!