CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-06-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
Steve Davidson

Profile:
Another new guy here, could someone suggest a warm up routine to use prior to the WOD. Also, how do you know what to use as a replasement exercise when you dont have the proper equipment or your not capable of doing an exercise?. For example what can I do in place of deadlifts for sundays WOD,the only weights I have are dumbells. I have ordered bumpers and a bar from york. At present I have a C2 rower, pullup/dip station.Im rambling, sorry. I really look forward to this experiance and the challenge it presents. Im really excited! The information available here is amazing! Thanks everyone.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:12 PM   #2
Dan Strametz

Profile:
Everything can be adapted and scaled. Check the Brand X wedsite. There is always a scaled version and subs for exercises.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:46 AM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
The FAQ is your friend...
Old 05-07-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
Joseph McCaffrey

Profile:
Dave

Welcome. Crossfit will be a great experience for you. I'm new to it since Jan, and the progress I've seen has been remarkable.

One of the back issues of the e journal has an article on warming up that's worth checking out (actually, every back issue I've looked at has been worth checking out).

A warm up that I like is to do a few light minutes on the rowing machine followed by a comfortable number of sit ups, push ups, squats, pull ups and back extensions. What I've found is that the number that's "comfortable" (ie feels like I'm only warming up, not doing a work out) has gradually but steadily crept up. In the not too distant future, my warm up will look like a workout to a lot of people.

Also look at the video of the Burgener warm up on the exercises page.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #5
Steve Davidson

Profile:
Thanks everyone, Lynne the FAQ page is great, Thanks!(I should have surfed the site before I started posting. Dan thanks for the recommendation, the brand x site will be visited again. Joseph, You have given me a goal for my warm-ups. I would love to be able to do a warm-up that most people would consider a workout. Thanks for the inspiration.