CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-09-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
Gary Wetherholt

Profile:
Bryce Lane………….. http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/it_all.htm and Charles Staley........ http://www.staleytraining.com/............. training systems suggest doing as many rounds (Crossfit language) as possible in 15 or 20 minutes. Bryce suggest only one exercise were as Charles suggest two alternating (superset) exercises. The number of suggested reps is around five. If I understand the concept correctly the design of these programs are to benefit both strength and cardio conditioning. I have tried Staley EDT several times and find it challenging. Would any members have experience doing this type training as a complement to the WOD and wish to share their thoughts about these two systems?
Old 04-09-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
paul arestan

Profile:

A few years ago, I designed programs involving 20 minutes of as many supersets as possible without break between sets. The feedback I got from my clients was that it helped with mass gain, that it was very boring and that it was not always possible to stay on 2 pieces of equipment for 20 minutes when the gym was busy.
Of course, I tried it on myself first; it's tough when both exercises target the same muscle groups (ie squat/deadlift), easier when working on antagonist muscles (ie pull ups/bench press).
Old 04-09-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
Russ Greene

Profile:

I did Bryce Lane's 20 minute thing a few years back when I was first starting to lift weights at around 150 lbs. bwt. I did olympic squats with 155 and got up to 100 reps in 20 minutes. My deadlift shot up to 305 without deadlifting, ever. I also hang clean and strict pressed for twenty minutes during the same time with much less success. The workouts were very challenging and left me sore for the better part of a week. Though it wasn't as all-around beneficial as Crossfit, the program was an excellent combination of strength and endurance. Bryce's board, Let's Talk Iron, is a great place to learn about training for strength endurance.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
Nathan Stanley

Profile:
I'm planning on doing a modified EDT program w/ KBs once I get my weight down a bit and I'm feeling that my overall fitness is where I want it to be. There are a couple of nice articles by Mike Mahler on Dragondoor if you're interested.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
stef bradford

Profile:  
I've done the 20min thing with back squats and been very successful with it. Increased strength, mental toughness, LOTSA practise with the lift. I don't like doing a bunch of reps (EVER), but this was a fun way to force myself to do them. My primary sport is olympic lifting and this helped with all-round strength and specifically improved my snatch due to the greater hip and back strength for reps.

It helps to be able to eat a lot and want to increase weight with this type of training. If you're keeping the calories tight, you may want to save this type of work for another time.

It would be easy enough to add some of this type of training to CrossFit, especially if you're not supplementing the WODs in other ways. CrossFit WODs (and by this I mean following the one posted daily on the web) are a bit light for improving strength. Bryce's program ideas would fit nicely for improving that deficit.

I second the recommendation made by a previous poster of going to Bryce's IronWorks board http://p069.ezboard.com/btheironworks
Bryce has a lot of experience in combining strength work with flexibility/power/endurance work using almost any imaginable approach-- get 0.02$ from the man himself!

s.