CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-04-2005, 11:33 PM   #11
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
The way we've always done OHS is as Aaron describes - Snatch grip push press from behind the neck. As far as weight ratios, here are my numbers as an example/reference:

S: 60K
OHS: 70K
CJ:70K
Rack Jerk: 77.5K

Most of the veteran lifters can "hunch up" or push press heavy OHS's. And most can rack jerk more than they can push press with a snatch grip behind the neck.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #12
Aaron Markovich

Profile:
Yes, I'm definitely using much lighter weight...I'm happy just getting 115lbs up. I to would definitely go into a drop snatch once the weight gets heavier.

I have a question though. Does anybody have any recommendations about snatching the weight and then doing OHS's? Do more experienced O lifters do this?
Old 12-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #13
Tom Brose

Profile:
Aaron, what you are talking about is a valid exercise, and has appeared in the WOD before (1 snatch, 5 OHS?). One issue is that the OHS is used to get comfortable in the snatch, and one should theoretically be able to OHS more than a max snatch. This is the case for me, although probably more due to not puling myself down fast enough in the snatch than to the inherent ratios. Anyways, heavy OHS are used to prepare a lifter to snatch more. I usually Push press it up from the BS as well, although some days that is just not happening.

Maybe someday we can get Coach Burgner out here to the nations capital, get fixed up real good. Good to see you posting!
Old 12-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #14
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Aaron, OL'ers normally work up to heavy OHS's as has been advised already - from a behind the next snatch grip push press. In all the years I've been lifting, we've never done snatches followed by OHS reps.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:17 AM   #15
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Sometimes I'll do a snatch into the OHS, but most of the time if I'm working on improving the OHS I'll start from the rack. Mostly it's because I can OHS more than I can snatch, so I'd have to use less weight than I'd like if I had to snatch the weight overhead first.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:24 AM   #16
Mike Burgener

Profile:
veronica....do you remember aimee anaya? 29 yrs old this year, took 2nd in the 58 kg class at nationals seveal years back...anyway...because of her athletic ability and lack of core strength...i am having her snatch + ohs. she is doing 1 snatch + 3 ohs....i am controlling the wt. taking her up as she can handle more wt. great exercise for developing core strength as well as practicing the efficiency of the snatch.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:20 PM   #17
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
coach B, I agree it's a great exercise for improving the snatch. But, I'd have to question the effiency of OHS for developing core strength. Aren't there other more efficient ways to strengthen the core without the torque/stress that OHS's put on the wrists?

I've done OHS's in sets of 3-4 reps (excluding the OHS challenge here) They're great for gaining confidence and improving stability when working with heavier weights, but I don't think my wrists could handle the amount of OHS's required to strengthen my core.

But, if it's working for Aimee, I won't argue it's place in her training. :-)

Respectfully,

Veronica
Old 12-11-2005, 01:16 AM   #18
Mike Burgener

Profile:
But, I'd have to question the effiency of OHS for developing core strength.

ah veronica....i will let coach glassman answer this one re the efficency issue. however, i use ohs in all my pe classes, all my athletic classes for the development of core strength. hugs, coach b
Old 12-11-2005, 05:32 PM   #19
Dan MacDougald

Profile:
Per Coach Glassman in issue 36 of the CrossFit Journal,
"The overhead squat is the ultimate core exercise,...
"The overhead squat is to midline control, stability, and balance what the clean and snatch are to power – unsurpassed."
Old 12-11-2005, 07:47 PM   #20
David Wood

Profile:

Maybe it depends on your condition?

I'm still a dilettante . . . so the OHS does wonders for my core strength. Veronica, you're alreaday an accomlished Olympic lifter, I believe? So maybe you're into the range of diminishing returns from that exercise?