CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 02-26-2003, 09:25 AM   #1
David Wood

Profile:

Ok folks, the new WOD cycle once again wasn't up by the time I left for work today (7 a.m. EST), so I was left to my own devices.

I came up with the following . . . (all criticisms welcomed):

4 rounds of 3 elements (although the elements changed slightly)

Round 1:

30-foot rope climb (I can go all the way up now!)
+
1 round of classic basketball drill where you run 1/4 of court, run back, run 1/2 court (and back), run 3/4 court (and back), run full court (and back), touching the ground with one hand at every change of direction
+
4 minutes of Tabata squat (body weight only)

Round 2:

1 Rope Climb
+
1 Basketball drill
+
Tried to do Tabata Squat Thrusts (squat down, kick legs back, pushup, draw legs in, stand up). As Dan John noted, not everything works in the Tabata protocol. I started out with 10 reps in 20 seconds and 10 seconds rest, but very quickly devolved to 10 reps in 30 seconds, and 30 seconds rest (similar to swimmer's drills . . . start a new set of 10 every minute; the faster you do them, the more rest you get). Did 8 rounds, but it took about 6 minutes, and I was sucking wind something awful. I think I should have dropped the pushup part of the squat thrust; I probably could have stayed closer to the Tabata protocol with that.

3rd Round:

1 Rope Climb
+
1 Basetball drill
+
Tabata free squat again (much easier . . . stayed at a consistent 15 / set, all 8 sets)

4th round:

1 Rope climb
+
1 Basketball Drill
+
Couldn't face Tabata anything, so I settled for doing alternate sets of 5 handstand pushups and repeating the basketball drill, 4 more times before I just plain ran out of drive.

Altogether, the whole mess required 44 minutes (lots of time between rounds spent gasping).

Dave
Old 02-26-2003, 11:33 AM   #2
james

Profile:  
Nice touch with the basketball line drill (suicides if I remember correctly). I did the following: 8R, 8L 70lb. kettlebell snatch followed by 20 dips followed by 10 ring pullups. 4 rounds. Will do todays WOD tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:06 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Hello James,

Thanks for posting.

Yours sounds pretty good, too. . . . although my first reaction was that it would be an awful lot of upper-body work . . . (for me, at least).

The snatches work the legs a lot, though, and the pullups / dips nicely tradeoff between pushing and pulling.

I think yours would probably leave me pretty sore (muscular overload), without necessarily feeling whipped (anaerobic / metabolic overload), which was the goal of what I had done.

Today's WOD (choose your least favorite aerobic setting) is an interesting twist. I guess I'm swimming tomorrow . . . let's see, 1K swim . . . that's about 2 hours . . .
Old 02-26-2003, 03:13 PM   #4
james

Profile:  
I'll be a rowin' forever
Old 02-26-2003, 03:25 PM   #5
Mark Cain

Profile:

for me the swimming would be the easiest... i'd be the blob at the bottom of the pool so i would never know when it finished.....it would be over as soon as it started. piece of cake after that..
Old 02-27-2003, 08:57 AM   #6
Derek

Profile:

Swimming tends to crush some of my best guys in a way that is nearly impossible to duplicate on land! As humans we spend the vast majority of our time on dry land, thus the opportunity to throw athletes into new elements such as the water, really excites me. I think if we all had access to a pool year round you would see a lot more swimming in the W.O.D. Try this for fun some time and let me know what you think.

Swim 100 meters
Dumbbell Thrusters 50% of B.W. X 10 reps
Five rounds for time!

Note: If your facility will let you take the weights to the poolside area.
Watch your footing on the Thrusters. Make every effort on the swim's your best! If you are a beginner in the pool try 25 or 50 meters.

:biggrin:
Old 03-06-2003, 10:07 AM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Took the liberty of doing the same workout again (same one that this thread started with) on Wed 3/5 (supposed to be a rest day, but my schedule is really out of whack).

It was better this time.

Did 3 rounds only, 22 minutes total.

Minor changes:

(a) tried to do the rope climb as up 10 feet, down, toe touch, and up again. I find it's very, very difficult to go up the second time . . . some combination of mental and physical fatigue leaves me barely able to make a few pulls, not really a real climb after coming down.

(b) did the suicides (line drill) twice per round to add a little more anaerobic stimulus

(c) stuck to a strict Tababata protocol on the 3rd element. First round squats, second round squat thrusts (only got 7 reps per 20 second interval), 3rd round alternating intervals between bodyweight squats and the squat thrust.

/start shameless lobbying here . ..

Boy, I sure hope Coach puts squat thrusts into a WOD someday soon (hint, hint). . . I need for there to be *something* I'm ahead of my training partner on.

/end shameless lobbying . . .

Practiced handstand pushups afterward, unknowingly anticipating today's WOD.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:21 PM   #8
Terry MILLER

Profile:
Here is an excellent exercise for the pool, especially one which has a deck which is a foot or two above the surface of the water. It was used often at our Academy for conditioning and attitude adjustment. It is called "ins and outs". You stand on the side of the pool at the deep end, 7' - 10'. Jump in feet first and sink to the bottom of the pool. When you hit the bottom, push off with your feet and drive to the surface. When you surface, immediately pull yourself out of the pool to a standing positiion on the deck and then repeat. Try this for 20 minutes non-stop and try not to puke in the pool.

Regards,

Terry
Old 03-07-2003, 10:36 AM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

Hey Terry:

My attitude got better just thinking about that one . . . I'm glad no one is making me do them!

Seriously, they sound like fun (in a sick, twisted, sort of way). I gotta try them (although I can just imagine what I'm going to tell the lifeguard . . .). I don't have a two-foot bulkhead though, only 6 - 8 inches, with a splash gutter.

Seriously, what kind of pace do your unfortunate victims maintain? I can't imagine that it would be more than 4 - 6 reps / minute . . . at least, not higher than that for 20 minutes straight.

Dave
Old 03-07-2003, 04:11 PM   #10
Terry MILLER

Profile:
Never really took consideration of pace in terms of reps per minute. I always had other things on my mind, like not vomiting up a lung. We just did it non-stop until we were told to stop. It was a brutal conditioning exercise. When I went through basic training, I know there were troops who didn't demonstrate the necessary "enthusiasm" and were subsequently required to do "ins and outs" for the entire session, about 40 minutes.

I'm not sure how you would explain yourself at a public pool when doing this exercise. I'm not sure you would have to, as I think most everyone present would likely give you a wide berth, including the Life Guard. If the local Constabulary enforce a "Mental Health Act" in your area, you might end up providing an explanation to them.

That was just one of the many "conditioning" methods used by the PT Instructors at the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Training Academy when I was just a young pup going through basic training. Another method used was to have everyone in the troop line up along the side of the pool, at the command everyone dove in and swam underwater across the width of the pool, I think the pool was about 25'wide. When you reached the other end of the pool, you pulled yourself up onto the deck to a standing position, turned around and dove back in and swam across the surface of the pool to the other side and again pulled yourself up onto the deck, turned around and repeated the process. This to was done for "reps".

An oft asked question, who has more fun then cops? Firefighters and Nurses.

Regards,

Terry