CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Christie Anderson

Profile:
Creating Wods

Hi,

I just opened an affiliate in my little town. So excited! Just wondering if there is any advice out there in terms of creating wods for the website. Just wondering what others consider when creating them? Is there a greater ryme and reason for others? Do you grow the wods with affiliate growth? Start out strong and scale?

Just curious on thoughts!
Old 12-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Mike Mallory

Profile:
Re: Creating Wods

I'd nail down your goals first.......

What do you want for your athletes? Wellness? Endurance? Joint stability? Strongman-like powers? Ready for anything a-la main page?

Personally, I gear our workouts towards joint stability/mobility and just health in general......Our benchmarks are based on postural landmarks and coordinated ability, rather than time (in most cases at least). I took everything I wanted to include, then interspersed that into a more periodized schedule WFS, and included specific mobility and stability work.

Seemingly random is cool.....totally random is not.

don't forget to program in fun stuff too

edit; whoa eric, you beat me to the punch on the random thing

Last edited by Mike Mallory : 12-16-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Random workouts will only work for novices--at some point things need to have a logical progression or you're going to get people at plateaus (best case) or hurt.

Look at successful affiliates and coaches and see how they do things...off the top of my head I'd study the last few months of programming for OPT, Dutch Lowy, CFFB, CF Invictus, CF Central, CF SoCal, MEBB, Mike's Gym, CF One World, and too many others to think of. You owe it to your clients to be knowledgeable about this stuff.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Hey Christie, congrats on getting open!

If you need help and havent already done so, you should take a little road trip to Calgary and visit the guys who run CrossFit Calgary (they have great programing that often includes some strength work), and CrossFit Athlete Inside (thats where I got my start - and a guy named Dan Rogers coaches there - he won the CFG Canada regional last year - best CFer in the country...). Both great places! Try to pick their brains about what they do.

I use CFAI WoDs on a regular basis.

Good luck! Maybe, if I get some free time I will come do a work-out at your place! (free time became a thing of the past when my second kid was born though!)

Both links WFS - they ARE CF Affiliate sites, so that goes with out saying!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie Anderson View Post
Hi,

I just opened an affiliate in my little town. So excited! Just wondering if there is any advice out there in terms of creating wods for the website. Just wondering what others consider when creating them? Is there a greater ryme and reason for others? Do you grow the wods with affiliate growth? Start out strong and scale?

Just curious on thoughts!

What are some of the workouts you're planning to use? Not trying to be rude but you as the owner should have some idea of what you want to do for your clients.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I think this is why many affiliates follow the main page...

There are lots of good sources of programming out there. Might not be a bad idea to pick one with goals similar to yours and follow it until you've had a chance to develop your own programming style.

Katherine
Old 12-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
Christie Anderson

Profile:

Thanks everyone.

I do have a direction that I would like to see happen, but I love getting input where ever I can. I have worked out with OPT for the past 3 years and love the programming (of course!). My little town is very new to CrossFit with most everyone never having heard of it. It is just great to get a glimpse into other's thoughts in case I haven't thought of it Starting an affiliate is exciting and overwhelming at the same time!
Old 12-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
Christie Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
What are some of the workouts you're planning to use? Not trying to be rude but you as the owner should have some idea of what you want to do for your clients.
Hi Doug..I should clarify. As the owner, I do have a direction for my affiliate. I also think I owe it to my clients to gather as much knowledge as I can to succeed and help them succeed. I just like to hear how other's do things and see whether I can pick up something I hadn't considered. I don't want to start my affiliate thinking that I have all the answers and miss out on the value of the experience of other's. I have trained the last 3 years with OPT myself and have personally trained CF clients the last year or so. I have created and used plenty of wods..what I haven't done is broad, general programming.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
Christie Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
Hey Christie, congrats on getting open!

If you need help and havent already done so, you should take a little road trip to Calgary and visit the guys who run CrossFit Calgary (they have great programing that often includes some strength work), and CrossFit Athlete Inside (thats where I got my start - and a guy named Dan Rogers coaches there - he won the CFG Canada regional last year - best CFer in the country...). Both great places! Try to pick their brains about what they do.

I use CFAI WoDs on a regular basis.

Good luck! Maybe, if I get some free time I will come do a work-out at your place! (free time became a thing of the past when my second kid was born though!)

Both links WFS - they ARE CF Affiliate sites, so that goes with out saying!
Thanks! You are more than welcome to stop by anytime Pretty limited class times to start..
I have done a few seminars at CrossFit Calgary..most wods have been at OPT. I have not been in to CrossFit AI, but it is on my list before my opening. Also CrossFit Cowtown, CrossFit Airdrie and Natural High. I look forward to picking as many brains as possible! I understand the kid and time thing, I have 2 boys myself