CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #61
Greg Privitera

Profile:
Re: Swiss Ball Squats

Great points, I agree with everything you're saying, and I guess it comes down to this:

If you are a member of my affiliate and have a specific sport, your needs are adressed specifically and the whole affiliate doesn't do jut a little o what you need to do.

That said, I would not use Swiss ball training with any client, no matter what their sport, Possibly with the exception of an ankle injury (although we have someone coming off of a level 2 sprain and she's recovering very quickly with daily mobility an strength work).
Old 11-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #62
Daniel Dean

Profile:

Wow, this thread blew up. I'm certainly not going to address every point brought up in the 50+ new posts since I last looked at this. I will say a few things though:

-Do I plan on doing squats on a ball exclusively from now on? Of course not, these would be supplemental training at most. I was mostly stoked I could do something now that I could not do a year ago.

-I do a lot of skiing, mountain biking and trail running (ZOMG LSD exercise!!! ), and thus spend a lot of time moving through space on unstable, ever changing surfaces. I have a hard time believing that balance training is useless for improving performance in these applications, especially since it is used by the US Ski Team.

-Safety: Yes, there is fall potential. But, this can be mitigated by proper progression and some basic intelligence as Mike M. noted. Also, just for me personally, the fall/injury potential is almost laughable compared to DH MTBing.

-Greg, that abstract you posted was interesting. But, a) I'm not a D1 soccer player; b) Their metrics were very applicable to college soccer players, but they seem too limited to make a blanket "useless" statement. I'm going to defer to the US Ski Team on this one.

-Adding a barbell to this exercise...!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Howland View Post
Daniel: sick pic, is that at Alta? Huge front flip?
Yes and yes. I posted a link to helmet cam video of it in that "What do you do with fitness thread". It's the opening clip.

Last edited by Daniel Dean : 11-16-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:30 PM   #63
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

I'm glad you take the effort to address the needs of those students. That definitely reflects on your coaching and I'm sure it's appreciated by those that receive that attention.

(good discussion by the way, if I'm ever in your part of town, I'll be sure to drop by)