CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #61
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Ring Dips

One of these days I will have to test out max kipping ring dips, swinging ring dips, and TRUE ring dips. Personally, the kipped ones, just look funny but they are a bit quicker. I would never teach someone these as a proper dip progression as it requires that you are strong enough to dip and you have a stable support. Many people unable to do ring dips for volume or simply just weak or have not got their support down with all the stabilizers.

Michael, those were kipping ring dips.

Swinging dips do have a danger to them on parallel bars and moreso on rings ( unstable surface but to do them you have to be quite strong or proficient at dips aka Roger Harrell ).

As well swinging dips on rings also happen to have the rings swing quite a bit as well. Their is a minimalization of swing, but they still move.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #62
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
One of these days I will have to test out max kipping ring dips, swinging ring dips, and TRUE ring dips. Personally, the kipped ones, just look funny but they are a bit quicker. I would never teach someone these as a proper dip progression as it requires that you are strong enough to dip and you have a stable support. Many people unable to do ring dips for volume or simply just weak or have not got their support down with all the stabilizers.

Michael, those were kipping ring dips.

Swinging dips do have a danger to them on parallel bars and moreso on rings ( unstable surface but to do them you have to be quite strong or proficient at dips aka Roger Harrell ).

As well swinging dips on rings also happen to have the rings swing quite a bit as well. Their is a minimalization of swing, but they still move.
Not a big fan of the swinging ring dip - But, SPOT ON! AS USUAL!
Old 04-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #63
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Tucker is officially up in your bacon.
not in your bacon... but "up on your bacon"
Old 04-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #64
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Yeah, "In your bacon" puts off the wrong vibe. But really, as long as there's bacon, I'm happy.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #65
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Yeah, "In your bacon" puts off the wrong vibe. But really, as long as there's bacon, I'm happy.
huge difference! huge! bacon or not.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #66
Robert Callahan

Profile:

I think someone is having a little too much fun with the color and size variability of the font.

Not going to name any names...
Old 04-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #67
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
I think someone is having a little too much fun with the color and size variability of the font.

Not going to name any names...
im sorry... but if you're not having fun... what is the point?

Old 04-02-2009, 11:45 PM   #68
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Hmm, bacon. I think I need to get me some bacon after payday.

Before I left the adult class tonight, I tested out strict ring dips vs swinging ring dips vs kipping ring dips. I'll try them next Monday just as kipping to see if I score any higher. I tried to rest about 5m between each set.

Strict, 14. Kinda surprised. It's been awhile since I could do double digits. Way cool! Must be the GB WOD stuff.

Same number with pike swing forward and up ring dip. Got tough toward the end and needed the swing to get me to push through.

Same number kipping. I didn't cross my feet ( that is too weird ) so I probably didn't as good of a kick, but I felt I got a good kick. Definitely metabolic. Started out fast and powerful but got tired over time. These cycle slowly.

I think since each set was to failure is why I couldn't get more reps. Besides the fact, I've never kipped on ring dips for reps either until I was near failure and kicking to get to support. They definitely felt easier.

As I said, I'm gonna test Monday; but I'm pretty sure I could hit 20 if I did it fresh.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:28 AM   #69
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

After the GB WOD tonight, about 30m later I managed 21 kipping ring dips. They still feel somewhat retarded. That's 1.5x my max the other day and I'm thinking I could have done way more without that GB WOD ( I sort of forgot I was going to do them and the gals wanted me to condition with them [ they used to workout with Roger Harrell's adult class ]).

I didn't feel the metabolic this time but it wasn't my 3rd set like last time either.