CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-01-2008, 09:06 AM   #1
Ryan Whipple

Profile:
Muscle and connective tissue: which develops faster?

Well, the title pretty much says it all. I'm curious if it's possible for muscles to get stronger faster than connective tissue, which would put an athlete at risk for all sorts of sprains and strains, or if connective tissue strengthens faster, which would probably keep an athelete in better health.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
James Withington

Profile:
Re: Muscle and connective tissue: which develops faster?

Muscle tissue develops and adapts to stresses faster than tendons, ligaments etc. If you look at the supply of blood and nutrients to the various types of soft tissue, muscle has WAY more supply and as such is able to repair and adapt to various stresses faster. Ligaments in particular have very poor nutrient supply, which is why they have to be necessarily tough and injury resistant in the first place, and why ligament injuries are generally such a complete and utter ***** if you are unlcky enough to tear one.

So yes, developing muscle strength fast is probably going to increase your risk of injury a little bit. But it's probably not going to be significantly greater so no need to worry. As I said, ligaments and tendons are designed to be super-tough in the first place because they aren't very good at repairing themselves.