CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-22-2004, 05:14 AM   #1
Will Levine

Profile:  
Hello folks. New guy here and I'm having a problem with Deadlifts. Essentially my form is terrible and I'd like to correct it ASAP.

So here is my question.....would the fact that I have "big belly" hinder my ability to perform the deadlift properly? Or am I just blowing smoke up my own backside?

thanks
Old 04-22-2004, 06:21 AM   #2
Brian Hand

Profile:

A big belly is a major problem when deadlifting. There are lots of stories of superheavyweight powerlifters who trim down and lose a lot of fat and muscle and strength, their squat and bench plummet, but their deadlift stays the same or improves. John Kuc is one, he said it was hard putting on his shoes when he weighed 330, deadlifting was a real chore.

If it just takes extra energy to get in position, you can suck it up and do your best. But, getting into position flat-backed is not something I would compromise on at all. If you can't get down there flat backed, you have to work around it. A relatively weak person may get away with it a while but soon you'll be strong enough to injure your lower back.

Some workarounds - the trap bar might give you a little breathing room; sumo style might not give you trouble; raise the bar a few inches on blocks or in the power rack and you might be okay. Just don't deadlift round-backed.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:10 AM   #3
Will Levine

Profile:  
Thanks for the tips/advice Brian.

I had a HUGE realization this morning about how I perform the DL. For some reason (I guess how I was taught) when I grasp the bar I keep my elbows bent like I'm holding up the weight. So it was impossible for me to keep a straight back due to my elbows being bent all the time.

I'm hoping my forms shapes up immediately. If my Big Belly is still and issue I'll start using your suggested workarounds.

Thanks again
Old 04-22-2004, 08:36 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Also look up at a fixed point on the wall,brace your abs, and try to pull your shoulder blates together. The arms should not be bent!
Old 04-22-2004, 11:02 AM   #5
Will Levine

Profile:  
I feel like such a boob for performing the movement like that in the past. I'm extremely lucky I never severely blew up my lower back.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:38 PM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Will, life is a learning process, someone will post one line and sometimes it changes the way I look at an exercise or a concept. For example: I was reading training material which advised to "roll" the trigger (of a handgun or rifle). I had an epiphany! One word triggered a visualization of effective trigger control (I used to use the word "press"). Now I have been shooting, at an advanced level, for years but this one word helped me improve. SO. . .don't beat yourself up and learn from your miscues.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:50 PM   #7
Brian Hand

Profile:

Will, don't feel bad, learning good biomechanics is not easy. You aren't going to learn much from most books, which illustrate an exercise with one photo in the top position, one in the bottom. You aren't going to learn much watching the people at most gyms either, including the trainers. Takes time.

The main thing is, you were on your toes, you knew something was wrong, and you went about fixing it. That's how you learn without winding up in traction.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:04 AM   #8
Sebastian

Profile:

I have not been doing Crossfit for very long but I have been in gyms a long time. You are better off to not watch ANYONE in the gym for form tips. I have seen guys doing pretty big weight on deads and they would straighten their legs first then do a rounded back stiff-legged dead among countless other abboritions. Also, always start light and get your form perfect and then increase weight gradually. I have found if I am just learning an exercise and increase the weight too quickly my form deteriotes considerably.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:08 AM   #9
Will Levine

Profile:  
Morning Guys,
I appreciate the "don't beat yourself up" responses. I just feel like I should know better (for whatever reason) and I thought I knew how to train. Now that I've been doing the WOD's for a few weeks now I know I had no clue LOL....Good times though.

I tried DL's this past week and I kept my arms relatively straight (Still breaking the habit of bending the arms) and my back was still rolling at the bottom of the movement. I think it's the belly hitting my quads and the shoulders just "roll" forward as they have no where else to go.

I was thinking modifying the movement to the point where my shoulders are about to roll. As time goes on and I continue taking pounds off I may become more able to perform DL's fully.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks
Will
Old 05-03-2004, 10:21 AM   #10
Mike Yukish

Profile:
My DL form has improved continually throughout. I didn't realize just how much it has changed, until I started building a stone wall in my backyard. I find myself naturally dropping "into the hole" when grabbing a big one, keeping the back rigid and straight, and driving with my legs. Feels great, and it's fun too. Highly recommend it.