CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #71
James Besenyei

Profile:
Re: Are squats a practical strength movement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Not to be rude but this is where the problem lies. You "feel" that front squats are more practical. Unfortunately just because you "feel" something does not make it true. That is why Human beings are capable of reason, so they can give logical, well thought out reasons for believing things to be true or false. In this situation the front squat is NOT as practical as the back squat because of the anatomy and physiology of the movement. It uses fewer muscles and almost completely leaves out the posterior chain. This means that the carry over effect of the strength you gain is significantly less from the front squat as compared to the back squat. Example time:

take two athletes similar in build and athleticism. One trains Back Squats, the other Front Squats. After several weeks of training both athletes are given a running and jumping test. The athlete that trained back squats will be better than the one that trained front squats.

I am not saying you have to agree with what has been said, but if you are going to disagree you must give reasons for it, not just that you feel it. This is true throughout all of life. Anyone can give an opinion, what makes people actually listen is the ability to make a logical, well thought out argument for why you are right.
Thank you for not being rude.

I overstated one sentence (read: "Obviously you don't have to be a kinesiologist or physiologist to see that the most 'practical' squats are front squats with overhead squats coming in second") Yes.

I attempted to qualify that overstatement. I admitted the statement was subjective. This obviously does not meet the strict criteria you have instituted in threads of which you are a participant. I apologize.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #72
Donald Lee

Profile:

Hip Belt Squats

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/iro...sp?number=1220

wfs
Old 08-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #73
Justin Gross

Profile:

A lot of people seem to mistake functionality for practicality. This is not 'just in case' training. How many times in my life will I be called upon to perform a muscle up outside the gym? Never, that's not why we do them.

CrossFit defines functional movement as "moving large loads long distances quickly." The back squat is a great way to develop raw physical power. It is a foundational movement. We can then use this raw power foundation to perform any number of more specialized movements (including the front and overhead squat).

If I was more educated on how neuroendocrine response works I'd talk about that too.

Sorry if this has already been covered, I was going blind after reading the first few pages of this thread.

Last edited by Justin Gross : 08-30-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #74
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Agreed, Justin.
It's not about using perfect form everytime we pick up something heavy.
It's about being strong enough to pick heavy things up with appalling form, as is so often necessary or at least unavoidable in our day to day lives, without injuring yourself.
I think someone else said this in another post...
Old 09-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #75
Samuel Fold

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Di Vita View Post
Why go heavy? Because that's how you get stronger. You need to stress your body for adaptation to occur. Yeah, I'll pick up some injuries along the way, that's a price I'm willing to pay for not leading a sedentary life style. Another reason for going heavy is the larger your base of strength, the more potential you have when it comes to metabolic conditioning / endurance.
I agree that going heavier is a good thing because that's what makes you stronger but I don't agree about this: "the larger your base of strength, the more potential you have when it comes to metabolic conditioning

Having a larger base of strength doesn't really have anything to do with metabolic conditioning or endurance. Unless your metcon involves some sort of heavy lifting.

If you look at the endurance events from the olympics, 10km run, marathon, 5km run etc, do those guys look like they have a strong base of strength? How much do you think Gebreselassie could squat?

Also, from my own experience, at my affiliate i've always been less strong in terms of deadlift and back squat but i've always (and even more so recently) been better than a lot of stronger guys when it comes to metabolic conditioning and endurance. So the correlation isn't as simple as you make out.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #76
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

Take 2 athletes. One has a max C&J of 155, the other has a max C&J of 255. Which one do you think will finish Grace faster?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:51 PM   #77
Anthony Militello

Profile:

This is becoming a pain in the a$$ topic. Are squats functional? Yes...are HEAVY squats functional? Yes...

But why not be good on the short end and on the long end? Since that is what crossfit is all about.

Squat your weight, go ball$ to the wall with your metcon, eat your food, shut up and rest. It's quite simple.

And so what if your metcon is better then theirs? Their heavy lifts are better then yours. And if they have half way decent metcon times WITH the ability to lift larger loads, they are then a more well rounded athlete because of it.

Hell...who can kick whos a$$ is the real question lol...

Really though, this topic is becoming
Old 09-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #78
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Militello View Post

Hell...who can kick whos a$$ is the real question lol...

Old quotation, attributed to many authors: "God made all men, but it took Samuel Colt to make them equal."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Militello View Post
Really though, this topic is becoming
Agree on that.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #79
Anthony Militello

Profile:

[quote=David Wood;393029]Old quotation, attributed to many authors: "God made all men, but it took Samuel Colt to make them equal."

Lmao! That totally made my night!