CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
John Lohry

Profile:
Exclamation Domain Name for Sale = IP Theft?

I just recently saw someone trying to sell the PittsburghCrossfit.com domain name in the Pittsburgh region Craigslist. It looks like they have no affiliation and are merely trying to make $500 off the sale Here's the link with the write-up. Wouldn't this violated HQ's policies or fall under some form of IP Theft or something? I think this is pretty messed up that someone is trying to snag up domain names just to make a buck.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/for/4833575813.html

"PittsburghCrossFit.com domain name for sale. Not looking to bargain for classes or services. Just want cash. For additional compensation I could host, design, and maintain a website. This domain is good for a new gym that is officially affiliated with CrossFit going by the name Pittsburgh CrossFit or another CrossFit gym in Pittsburgh that wishes to draw additional traffic to their gym in searches for Crossfit gyms in Pittsburgh."
Old 01-05-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
Clint Harris

Profile:
Re: Domain Name for Sale = IP Theft?

Called cybersquatting.

According to whois this guy, David Slover, has owned the domain name since 2010 (and it expires in June 2015). He may be a defunct owner of an affiliate in Pittsburgh and is now trying a hail-mary to make a buck.

If it were me, I'd register pittsburghcitycrossfit.com or pittsburghcrossfit.net or some other variation and wait to see what happens in June. I doubt there's going to be lines around the corner to buy a $500 domain name between now and then.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:28 AM   #3
John Lohry

Profile:

Thanks, Clint. I totally forgot about cybersquatting, so that makes more sense.

I wondered if he might have previously owned a gym, but couldn't find anything. There is a CrossFit Pittsburgh with the domain crossfitpittsburgh.com (sfw). They opened in 2006 when they became the first box in Pittsburgh and affiliate #54.

I agree, there are so many boxes there in Pittsburgh with well established domains, including the original CrossFit Pittsburgh box, that I don't think this one is gonna get sold. Still, pretty messed up.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:19 AM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

if he isn't an affiliate he doesn't have the right to own it, so he doesn't have the right to sell it. yes, it is IP theft.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:15 AM   #5
John Lohry

Profile:

Thanks a lot Sean. I wasn't completely sure, but I know how closely HQ guards the brand so I went ahead and submitted the information to the IP Theft page.

On the side, nice gym you have. I'm planning on opening my own and noticed you went with the rolled flooring. 8mm thick? Looks nice with the white box outlines...how did you guys do that? How are they holding up as far as kettlebell drops and such?
Old 01-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
John Lohry

Profile:

I got a response from HQ that they demanded the listing be removed and the domain transferred to them. Just checked and the listing was recently removed. Guess that solves that.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:41 AM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lohry View Post
Thanks a lot Sean. I wasn't completely sure, but I know how closely HQ guards the brand so I went ahead and submitted the information to the IP Theft page.

On the side, nice gym you have. I'm planning on opening my own and noticed you went with the rolled flooring. 8mm thick? Looks nice with the white box outlines...how did you guys do that? How are they holding up as far as kettlebell drops and such?
Thank you. Love the floor. I do not let people drop kettlebells. In fact if they drop one they have an immediate burpee penalty in the amount of the weight of the bell - my bells go from 18# to 106#. I had extra flooring after we laid it down, so we cut a bunch of squares of it and people use those under their bells. Everyone who grabs a KB grabs a "KB Mat" before they workout. And we're currently running the Dan John 10,000 KB Swing Challenge, so this is a common occurrence.

The white boxes have been great - they are 6'x4' and we treat them like lifting platforms. It naturally breaks up the space and gives everyone their own little area to workout.

Come on by if you're ever in the area and want to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lohry View Post
I got a response from HQ that they demanded the listing be removed and the domain transferred to them. Just checked and the listing was recently removed. Guess that solves that.
Great! That's the way it is supposed to work!
Old 01-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #8
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

slightly off on a tangent, but a little bit of a caution to any affiliate owner.

the reason it's so easy for crossfit.com lawyers to 'cease and desist' is because the domain contains the trademark term...

the risk here is that crossfit.com could, in theory, do the same to ANY website that contains the trademark.

in this sense the extreme result could be that they and demand any affiliate to hand over their domain name, and as an affiliate there'd be very little you could do about it.

just saying.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #9
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cheung View Post
slightly off on a tangent, but a little bit of a caution to any affiliate owner.

the reason it's so easy for crossfit.com lawyers to 'cease and desist' is because the domain contains the trademark term...

the risk here is that crossfit.com could, in theory, do the same to ANY website that contains the trademark.

in this sense the extreme result could be that they and demand any affiliate to hand over their domain name, and as an affiliate there'd be very little you could do about it.

just saying.
If you're an approved affiliate who is current with their annual fee, you have paid for the right to use the CrossFit name. There is no reason HQ would do what you're describing if the affiliate is in good standing.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #10
Nathan Holmes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cheung View Post
L1//Rowing Cert//Endurance Cert//Weightlifting Cert (pending April)
Do my eyes deceive me or did you list a (pending) qualification for which you haven't attended the seminar yet?

If that's the case, I need to update my signature/qualification information too...

Nate Holmes
CF Level 8 Field Marshall//PHD//Genius//Millionaire//President//CrossFit Games Champion//(all pending hell freezing over)

I'll be signing digital autographs later.