CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #1
Greg Warren

Profile:
Start cutting or continue ETP?

I've got my first local competition coming up in three weeks, and I'm trying to decide if I want to cut weight for a few weeks or continue doing Eat to Perform. Last year I was 205# at 19% body fat while competing; now I'm 212# and 18%. While my lifts have all gone way up, I struggle with body weight & gymnastics exercises. I can definitely tell the difference lugging around the extra weight, even though it's mostly muscle. Also, I struggle with my endurance on anything longer than an 8 minute workout, so my thought it that cutting some weight back will help with that as well. I know it will only be a difference of 5-6 pounds by the time of the competition, and that I'll lose some strength at the same time, but I think it may be worth it.

I've been taking in around 2400-2500 calories a day (I don't use a counter, just ballpark in my head) for the past two months and have gone up two pounds while dropping 1% body fat. I'm thinking of cutting back to around 1800 calories a day. I workout 5 days a week, with one or two 2-a-days, and play sand volleyball one night a week (will increase to two nights a week the week after the first competition).

Thanks for any input you guys can offer!
Old 04-07-2014, 06:26 AM   #2
Cam Peavy

Profile:
Re: Start cutting or continue ETP?

Depending on your programming, you shouldn't be losing strength on a mini cut. If you're only going to be in a caloric deficit for ~3 weeks, I would continue to lift heavy and hit your metcons, but don't go overboard. You want to try and maintain that strength as much as possible, which is very realistic. As you already know, you're only going to max out at roughly 3 lbs over 3 weeks, but that can help cut a few seconds and change your placing.

I would say that if you're 212# and workout 5 days a week, then your "ballpark" is a bit off for 2500 cals, unless you're really under eating or your metabolism is somewhat damaged (probably the former). Maybe track your intake (measure) for a couple days, and get an exact estimate.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Peavy View Post
Depending on your programming, you shouldn't be losing strength on a mini cut. If you're only going to be in a caloric deficit for ~3 weeks, I would continue to lift heavy and hit your metcons, but don't go overboard. You want to try and maintain that strength as much as possible, which is very realistic. As you already know, you're only going to max out at roughly 3 lbs over 3 weeks, but that can help cut a few seconds and change your placing.

I would say that if you're 212# and workout 5 days a week, then your "ballpark" is a bit off for 2500 cals, unless you're really under eating or your metabolism is somewhat damaged (probably the former). Maybe track your intake (measure) for a couple days, and get an exact estimate.
Wait, you weigh 212#, are taking in 2500 cals per day, workout 7-8x/week, and gained weight?!

That is very hard to believe. You are not estimating your intake even close to what it really is. At 155-160#, my maintenance cals are that much

My advice is to take the measuring process a little more seriously rather than
"oh this looks like the right amount."
Old 04-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
Wait, you weigh 212#, are taking in 2500 cals per day, workout 7-8x/week, and gained weight?!

That is very hard to believe. You are not estimating your intake even close to what it really is. At 155-160#, my maintenance cals are that much

My advice is to take the measuring process a little more seriously rather than
"oh this looks like the right amount."
Agreed. Ballparking calorie intake in your head is more than likely going to be way off. Get a food scale, log your intake on my fitness pal or similar app, and find out how much you are really eating for a couple weeks and go from there.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
Chris Jones

Profile:

agree with the above posters, if you cut to 1800 actual calories you will crash hard. You are 15lbs heavier than me and my maintenance is around 2700/day. Track your foods and the calorie # you get will most likely surprise you.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:57 AM   #6
Greg Warren

Profile:

Thanks guys. I used to track very closely, but got away from it due to the tedium involved. I'll track for a few days and revisit this after that.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:11 AM   #7
Cam Peavy

Profile:

Try your best not to eyeball your food.. even if it's only for a week or two, get a cheap food scale and measure everything out. It will give you a much better feel for how much food you're actually eating (I.E. Size of 6 oz. of Chicken).
Old 04-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #8
Greg Warren

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Peavy View Post
Try your best not to eyeball your food.. even if it's only for a week or two, get a cheap food scale and measure everything out. It will give you a much better feel for how much food you're actually eating (I.E. Size of 6 oz. of Chicken).
I've got a nice digital scale in my kitchen. I just moved away from weighing/measuring due to the time involved.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #9
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Warren View Post
I've got a nice digital scale in my kitchen. I just moved away from weighing/measuring due to the time involved.
I hear a ton of people say that its too time consuming to weigh/measure their food. I get that its much easier to just pile some food on the plate and go at it, but until you measure for awhile its really hard to determine amounts for most people.

Try a couple measuring cups and your scale and set aside measured/weighed portions for a couple days at a time. It only takes a few minutes, and then you know exactly what youre eating when you have one of those containers the next day.