CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 11-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: 17 Yr. Old., 300 lb. Overhead Squat PR

Darian is a beast! Can't wait to see how good he will be in 5-10 years.

Looking at the program, I'm surprised that the core work didn't interfere with progress on the lifts. I'm not a coach and have never programmed a workout routine, but from personal experience my mid-section is fried the day after doing a workout with core stuff involved. Maybe my recovery is just not as good.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Incredible achievement for anyone, even moreso for someone so young.

It's also refreshing to see somebody on these boards who doesn't think you have to be a giant to put up huge numbers. Too often I see someone get laughed at and told they'll never get strong at a measely 165 lbs (or whatever), and the only way to get stronger is to drink milk, eat fatty meat, and do shots of olive oil until you puke. Darian is proving all of this false by eating clean, cutting weight, and increasing strength. and it looks like he's closing in on, or maybe has already achieved, a 3xBW squat. Incredible!
Old 11-20-2010, 04:24 AM   #13
Jeremy S Barnett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
Darian is a beast! Can't wait to see how good he will be in 5-10 years.

Looking at the program, I'm surprised that the core work didn't interfere with progress on the lifts. I'm not a coach and have never programmed a workout routine, but from personal experience my mid-section is fried the day after doing a workout with core stuff involved. Maybe my recovery is just not as good.

The core exercise days weren't set as strict lifting days. If he felt good and wanted something extra to do then that would be his workout for the day. It was to be kept light as to not over train his core.

I'm sure his youthfulness and healthy diet play a huge role in his recovery time. As we age we do not recover as quickly. I'm 39 now and it takes me a little longer to recover from my training than it did when I was 16 & 17 years old.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:31 AM   #14
Jeremy S Barnett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
Incredible achievement for anyone, even moreso for someone so young.

It's also refreshing to see somebody on these boards who doesn't think you have to be a giant to put up huge numbers. Too often I see someone get laughed at and told they'll never get strong at a measely 165 lbs (or whatever), and the only way to get stronger is to drink milk, eat fatty meat, and do shots of olive oil until you puke. Darian is proving all of this false by eating clean, cutting weight, and increasing strength. and it looks like he's closing in on, or maybe has already achieved, a 3xBW squat. Incredible!

You're so right. You don't have to be huge to be strong. 2 years ago Darian competed in a strongman competition at the age of 15 and his body weight was around 185-190 lbs. He was competing against grown men ages 22-50 years old and weighing 220-300+ lbs. He came in 7th place in his Novice group out 20 competitors PROVING YOU DON'T HAVE TO MASSIVE TO BE STRONG!

Here's a link to his strongman competition. Check it out: W/F/S
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlQAvG6T_PQ

Last edited by Jeremy S Barnett : 11-20-2010 at 04:36 AM.