CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
Aaron Chesser

Profile:
Question Supraspinatus Tear

I just found out that all the pain I've been having in my right shoulder is from really bad bursitis/tendonitis and also a small supraspinatus tear. Ortho wants to do some injection deep in the joint or something to take all the swelling out then we will go from there. His words were - "your shoulder is really ****ed off right now". LOL. Initial prognosis is no surgery required which I am happy about.

My question is this: Has anyone ever dealt with this injury and how did you work around it in CF since almost everything besides deadlift, back and front squat involves using your shoulders. How long was your "recovery-down time" from CF? Or did you just scale everything a bunch and keep going?

Any input would be helpful. Thanks everyone
Old 07-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Supraspinatus Tear

Not trying to be a wise ***, but think about someone without an arm. They can still get plenty accomplished through exercise.

If it does not cause pain, I'd consider DL, KBS, farmers walks as good work; maybe push ups, IF performed correctly.

You can also do some single arm stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Chesser View Post
I just found out that all the pain I've been having in my right shoulder is from really bad bursitis/tendonitis and also a small supraspinatus tear. Ortho wants to do some injection deep in the joint or something to take all the swelling out then we will go from there. His words were - "your shoulder is really ****ed off right now". LOL. Initial prognosis is no surgery required which I am happy about.

My question is this: Has anyone ever dealt with this injury and how did you work around it in CF since almost everything besides deadlift, back and front squat involves using your shoulders. How long was your "recovery-down time" from CF? Or did you just scale everything a bunch and keep going?

Any input would be helpful. Thanks everyone
Old 07-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Deal with it a lot. It comes down to pain level and weakness. You can do rotator cuff exercises to try and strengthen. But you do have to be cautious with explosive heavy maneuvers as tendon tear can get bigger. Depends on your age also and tendon strength.
Check out 321GoMD about rotator cuff tears; use your head and shoulder. Don't push through pain.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
Jen Greenwich

Profile:

I tore my supraspinatus muscle a few years ago. I didn't really miss any time, though I reduced my workouts to 3 days a week since my legs could only handle so much.

My tear was in a strange place, and it presented like a labral tear. The pain was so bad I couldn't lift my arm overhead. I did a lot of running, squatting, dead lifting, rowing and KBS to shoulder height. I also did squat cleans a lot.

As far as treatment, I took it easy for a few months and did some PT and got a cortisone shot. No surgery.