CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: When to start using a weight belt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Douglas View Post
I have not used a belt, though for some reason I own one. I feel like I would have to change my form and would be cheating my kinetic chain in some way. I might give it a try for fun one of these days, tho, see how it goes.
Based on....?

A belt shouldn't require a change of form either.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #12
Dan Douglas

Profile:

just based on the force applied to the ground not going through my back in a natural way. It was not a scientific evaluation, tho I'm sure someone has done/could do one, just how I feel.

and the form thing was based on intuition on how I feel the extra bulk and stiffness around my midsection would impact my ability to fully hinge at the hip and bring my stomach to my quads, and something I read a while back by dr stu mcgill which I will find later.

and, I am more comfortable doing the opposite of what the guys in the smith machine tell me I should do when I am squatting twice as much as they are smith machining, haha.

Last edited by Dan Douglas : 06-23-2012 at 07:20 AM. Reason: added stiffness
Old 06-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
Eric Shuty

Profile:

I use one on heavy 1-3 rep sets for squats and deads and nothing else. I don't really think they're necessary fr 5 rep sets but hey it's user preference....

And if you never use a belt for heavy compounds you are intentionally keeping yourself weaker. Once again, it's users choice, but I think a foolish one....Of course I'm heavily biased towards the powerlifts...
Old 06-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
Dan Douglas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shuty View Post
And if you never use a belt for heavy compounds you are intentionally keeping yourself weaker. Once again, it's users choice, but I think a foolish one....Of course I'm heavily biased towards the powerlifts...
Im not sure Id agree or disagree in a black and white way with this. There is a spectrum of support all the way to multi-ply, and you can always argue you are keeping yourself weaker (as far as lbs on the bar) if you arent fully geared up. I think its, like you said, a users choice of their comfort zone. Jaime Lewis would be a great example of the success of the no-support-whatsoever approach that would be hard to dispute.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
Mike Jenkins

Profile:

You cant really compare geared lifters to someone wearing a belt. A belt should not change your form and I think a lot of people do not know how to use a belt properly. It may seem simple but its not as easy as just latching it as tight as you can for every lift you use a belt on which is what I see a number of people do. There is no "set" time to use a belt and its personal preference but the lack of a belt will hold a person back, generally speakly, not always. I think belts should only be used by experienced lifters, who are 100% healthy/uninjured. Until someone has some time under the bar to strengthen their entire body and the area that the belt "helps" during a lift they will be using it a crutch which is what many people also do. So long story short, there is no real answer in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOu5d7ZvmmQ WFS This guys is an OK puller for not using a belt. His pull is the last lift.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #16
Eric Shuty

Profile:

+1 on comparing gear and belts. A belt is a stabilizing force.... Gear actually assist with the movement and even changes the way a lift is done (ie bench shirts)...
Old 06-25-2012, 06:38 AM   #17
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I'd say a belt is a useful tool anytime you're doing anything in the 5RM range or heavier. They're not necessary by any means, but a good belt will help you get stronger.

It'll take some getting used to...you'll have to try going looser, tighter, raising it a bit, lowering it, etc. to see what works. A nylon belt may not do much for you so I'd recommend looking for a good leather one. I'm partial to this one (WFS) for its quality and their customer service.
Eric,

I'm glad that site is back up. Do you have an opinion on their 3" belt? I'm undertall so I'm thinking that might be a better choice for me.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #18
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I don't know anything about their 3" belt specifically, but if you can't wear a 4" belt comfortably then it's probably a good way to go.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #19
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Thank you.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #20
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Eric,

I'm glad that site is back up. Do you have an opinion on their 3" belt? I'm undertall so I'm thinking that might be a better choice for me.
I resemble that description, and I use a 4" wide 13mm Inzer belt.
You should be fine with a 4" belt.
In the beginning, you may get a bit of bruising under your ribs and above your hip bone, but after a week or two of regular use (2-3 days per week), you'll stop bruising.