CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 04-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Andrew Burry

Profile:
The Reem, The Roids, How did Mir get off?

Everyone and their three legged blind dog knew Overeem was juicing, he manufactured a fabulous snafu before the Lesnar fight, and as soon as the story came out that all the heavyweights were tested following a UFC 146 press conference you had to know he was going to get busted. Overeem has been fighting in Japan in both Pride, Dream, and K-1 for the majority of his career, where there is no athletic commission enforcing a drug policy. If you watch his fights as a young man against Shogun Rua and others, you will quickly notice the Barry Bonds-esque transformation from string bean to behemoth.

But whatever.. heavyweights are exactly that, juiced up giants that smash their opponents fast. The heavyweights are like the WWE, we want them to look like superheroes and have power to match. No one can tell me Lesnar was not a juicer. A man who cuts weight to make 265 and is formerly of the WWE obviously has a PED filled past, and possibly present, one can only speculate since he is now retired and NSAC has only introduced out of competition testing since July 2011. Testing is easy to beat with the half life of testosterone being 8 days, 3 half lives later and it is below detectable levels. That means I can juice up to 24 days before my fight and not get caught. I am surprised that MORE of these guys didn't test positive.

Can we take a look at Frank Mir for just a second? You have to watch the UFC countdown to his fight with Shane Carwin (also busted for steroid distribution) where he talks about getting a new strength coach after Brock Lesnar put the beat down on him. He gains over 40# of muscle in six weeks on his "new program" because according to Frank he was "never a weightlifter." Sorry, but a man who was already 240 doesn't add that kind of size and an extremely elongated jaw (HGH what's up) in six weeks. He was hulking and ripped before that fight, and whether he was on testosterone, steroids, HGH, who knows? But if the past decade and revelations of rampant steroid use throughout the professional sports world tells us anything, if you think he might be juicing, he definitely is.. but ain't never gonna admit it until he's caught.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Andrew Burry

Profile:
Re: The Reem, The Roids, How did Mir get off?

http://mmajunkie.com/news/29015/nsac...-exemption.mma (WFS)

Right.. so just like I said, Frank Mir is on the juice.. he gets it prescribed by his doctor under this "TRT" loophole which anyone with more than two braincells knows is BS. Also, he only bothered to reveal that he is on testosterone after the fight was over. The 6:1 Test to EpiTest ratio is meant to give leeway to some 1 in a billion cases where a person has an abnormally high amount of testosterone in their body. None of these fighters can legitimately claim to need TRT. They aren't frail old men who might shatter a hip falling in the driveway, these guys are professional athletes in peak condition. I just can't believe they allow fighters like Mir, Henderson, Sonnen, etc. to get prescribed testosterone but ridicule fighters like Overeem, Sylvia, Carwin, Sherk, for taking "steroids." It's the same damn thing.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

I don't know enough about the science behind it, but in my non-educated opinion, TRT for professional athletes is absurd. I'm so sick of the taint that juicing throws on sports. At this point, they should just divide the promotion in two...one half for the cheaters and the other half for the clean fighters.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Robert Walsh

Profile:

I actually think things would be a lot better off if it was a free-for-all. A truly level playing field.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walsh View Post
I actually think things would be a lot better off if it was a free-for-all. A truly level playing field.
Something like this..... (link is wfs, but not all the video's on it are)
Old 08-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Dylan Farr

Profile:

Overeem claimed its because he eats horse #faceplam
Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
Andrew Bell

Profile:

I've been of the belief for sometime that they don't even need to test. Let these guys take whatever they want, they are going to do it anyways, just pay off the dope test, or game it and pray.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
I don't know enough about the science behind it, but in my non-educated opinion, TRT for professional athletes is absurd. I'm so sick of the taint that juicing throws on sports. At this point, they should just divide the promotion in two...one half for the cheaters and the other half for the clean fighters.
It wouldn't be a taint if it was allowed. These men are for the most part in the 1% of the genetically gifted in the world right? 5 years ago that wasn't the case. Look when GSP came along, he was the "super athlete" I could name ten fighters with the same athleticism as GSP if not better now in the UFC alone. Same thing happened with Crossfit. Khalipa won based on strength and good cardio alone. Dude couldn't touch his toes, do a handstand, or any of that. Now look at the talent pool, you have people literally coming out of the woods who are absolute freaks in terms of athleticism and conditioning/strength. Sports and competition are all about pushing the limits of human potential. You think Usain Bolt didn't use PED's?

You don't know much about the science of steroids so ill take that into consideration. What's the difference between EPO and sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber? Or what's the difference between EPO use and sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber AT altitude, while using high amounts of cordyceps. Cordyceps are naturally found and EPO is synthetic, ok. What about the invention of whey protein in the 70's? It changed fitness forever. What about when Ed Byrd brought creatine in as a sports supplement? It's naturally occurring in the body and in food but it also changed sports forever.

Where is the line drawn? This is why anti doping agencies are LITERALLY running around banning everything in sight. Can they ban DHEA? Sure. But it occurs naturally in the body and can be sourced naturally as well. Same with dozens of other compounds that are banned yet come from the food line.

What about this Stanford cooling glove, if it really does work? It surpasses legitimate published studies on steroids in terms of work capacity and strength and its simply a slightly pressurized glove with a metal surface that cools your body efficiently.

So where do we draw the line? Should I care if Lance Armstrong used PED's? No. He was already one of the best in the world.Let them all have it, because in order to compete at that level anyways you are already genetically gifted beyond most of us and have put forth such dedication and work it's unreal.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
Richard Deyan

Profile:

One last thing, what are sports bodies and anti doping agencies going to do once we perfect gene replacement therapy and everyone can literally be a genetic freak if they want to be? Only people who haven't undergone the therapy before birth or after birth can compete? Parents who choose to give it to their children who aren't born yet will suffer because of it?

Technology and science is going to bring some seriously strong dilemmas to sports in the next several decades. Why are steroids even categorized along the same lines of drugs like cocaine and meth? Congress REALLY cared about the thousands of bodybuilders on steroids and their health? Yet tobacco and alcohol are still legal somehow...so weird.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
Dylan Farr

Profile:

Excellent posts RD