CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
Thomas Green

Profile:
Re: Using Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Tom,
When you say working until failure? Are you talking about muscular failure or talking about building up the band/weights until you begin to slow down? The workout you described do you think of it as more of a max effort workout or dynamic effort?

I use those mini's you listed for dynamic bench and then use the Elite Light Bands for squatting. For me the mini's provide good tension for dynamic work, I bench around 285 and am only 5'6", so my short arms help out.

You were wondering if the tension was enough, but I think as the Westside guys will add either a light band or add another set of minis.

Just from reading a bunch of Westside/Conjugate stuff, I get the impression that minis are mainly used for dynamic bench stuff, whereas the heavier bands are often used on max effort day in any lift and for circa max stuff.

I'd say it's more of a combination of the two because obviously once you get to a certain weight, it isn't dynamic anymore. But at the end, you're still going until failure (for me meaning needing some assistance to break thorugh your sticking point) The guy who taught me this routine learned it from Scott Mendelson himself, so not really sure if it's directly from Westside or just Scott's own variation of this routine. Right now I'm only benching once a week, so this hybrid style works pretty well for me. I guess it all depends on the frequency of the lifts in your training.

I'm guessing based on what you said, the heavier bands would probably be a better option for me. So thanks for the help there.

Last edited by Thomas Green : 01-08-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Tom,
Based on how you describe your benching workout, it almost seems like a combination of dynamic and max effort. If your fist sets are low reps with low weight but fast it seems to start out dynamic. Then you build into sets where it is tough to move the bar more like ME. How many sets do you usually use and how do you build up to the max 3?

It's an interesting combo that could be better for people who want to mix CF with a Westside like model who don't want to spend 4 sessions a week with additional strenght work with traditional WODs. I don't know if there is any Westside science/history to mix DE with ME work or if it would be better or worse for the neurological system/recovery. I like the idea and I'm glad you got good results from it.

Bob
Old 01-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Tom,
Based on how you describe your benching workout, it almost seems like a combination of dynamic and max effort. If your fist sets are low reps with low weight but fast it seems to start out dynamic. Then you build into sets where it is tough to move the bar more like ME. How many sets do you usually use and how do you build up to the max 3?

It's an interesting combo that could be better for people who want to mix CF with a Westside like model who don't want to spend 4 sessions a week with additional strenght work with traditional WODs. I don't know if there is any Westside science/history to mix DE with ME work or if it would be better or worse for the neurological system/recovery. I like the idea and I'm glad you got good results from it.

Bob

That's exactly what it is. Last workout I did 5 total sets, not including the warmput w/ just the bar and bands. I think it would work well for people who's primary focus is crossfit, as doing the full Westside program along with metcons every day would probably be overdoing it. Combining DE and ME on the same day is a good way to get around this I'd imagine. And even though bench doesn't come up in CF workouts, more pushing power is always advantageous.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #14
Troy Becker

Profile:

Making a metcon that just so happens to be your assistance work is a great way to blend CF and WS work. Throw in some burpees or double unders with, say, clapping push-ups and pull-ups or something... Works out great.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #15
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
Chris Mason, our local westside advisor, gave me this advice in a private e-mail: use 50-60% of your max on the bar, and just some light bands. The West Side book of methods makes it clear that the percentages are based of the specific squat that you're doing. If you were using a buffalo bar, the percentages would be based on your max box squat with a buffalo bar. If you were using a narrow stance off a 12" box, your percentages would be based off a narrow stance 12" box squat. If you were using a cambered bar with a sumo stance, you would base it off a sumo stance cambered bar box squat. If you were using... ... ...

I think our squats are close enough (mine is 315 last I checked, probably 330ish now) that you would also use the light bands. I do, they're great. "Don't get too freaky about the percentage with the bands, just pick a set and use them" is what he said. When I did that, life was easy and good.

The light bands are orange from elitefts and, I think, blue from iron woody or jump-stretch. Don't quote me on the blue thing.

I don't actually know my max box squat, though I think I have a pretty good idea, but the percentages there work for me very well. You may find that you need to tweak them a little, depending on how fast you move (or don't). If you're slow like it was a max effort, too much weight. If you have to decelerate at the top a lot, or have the little bounce of the bar lifting off your back a bit when you reach the top, not enough weight. Play around, it's not like 3 week waves of different percentages is going to make your progress go backward or anything.
Actually, the bands need not be light. For instance, my training partner and I use the strong bands for our DE work with squats. We use lighter bands for bench work.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #16
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Actually, the bands need not be light. For instance, my training partner and I use the strong bands for our DE work with squats. We use lighter bands for bench work.
Chris - which of the two bands I posted do you suggest I use for bench work? The pink or the orange?

Last edited by Thomas Green : 01-10-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #17
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
I should have clarified. On DE day I use the light bands.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #18
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
Chris - which of the two bands I posted do you suggest I use for bench work? The pink or the orange?
Can you give me links to them? The Westside bands we use for benching are the mini or monster minis. WFS : http://www.westside-barbell.com/bands/

You would want to use something equivalent to those.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #19
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Can you give me links to them? The Westside bands we use for benching are the mini or monster minis. WFS : http://www.westside-barbell.com/bands/

You would want to use something equivalent to those.
Sure,

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...&m=PD&pid=3254

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...&m=PD&pid=3256

If I double up the first one, the resistance is slightly stronger than the second band.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #20
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
Sure,

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...&m=PD&pid=3254

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...&m=PD&pid=3256

If I double up the first one, the resistance is slightly stronger than the second band.
You post links to the short bands (12") instead of the regulars (41"), is that on purpose?