CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-04-2009, 04:49 AM   #21
Kurt A Gross

Profile:
Re: Handstands - Purpose?

I found myself doing a handstand when mountainbiking. I went over a rock about 18 inches tall, and there was a depression on the other side that compressed the fork, and stopped the front dead. I went over the bars, but caught myself with my hands. I'm still clipped in, so I'm doing a handstand, with a bike clipped to my feet over my head. I righted myself without injury, and two girls riding with me said "that was cool, what were you doing?" I said "saving my ***". We laughed, but I'm glad I didn't land on my face.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #22
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
This threads pretty laughable.

If you think they don't help even though people say they do (when you have no experience with them) then you can continue to do whatever else you want to with your time. Good luck.
Who's this directed to? I just want to know how handstands apply in either regular "real world" situations and/or other sports that are apart of the same family as gymastics (gymnastics, parkour/freerunning, cheer - yes I said cheer, etc.) As I said before, handstands look really cool and I would love to have that much control over my body to where I could do them. I just want to know how much of this particular gym work can transfer elsewhere compared to the obvious ones, like running or lifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt A Gross View Post
I found myself doing a handstand when mountainbiking. I went over a rock about 18 inches tall, and there was a depression on the other side that compressed the fork, and stopped the front dead. I went over the bars, but caught myself with my hands. I'm still clipped in, so I'm doing a handstand, with a bike clipped to my feet over my head. I righted myself without injury, and two girls riding with me said "that was cool, what were you doing?" I said "saving my ***". We laughed, but I'm glad I didn't land on my face.
Good to know you didn't get injured...but man, I would have LOVED to have seen that bike move!!!!
Old 09-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #23
Walker Fenz

Profile:

if for no other reason, makes a great party trick!

Also, i've been known to bust one out on the dancefloor (had to put that breakdancer in his place ;-)
Old 09-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #24
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davi Cohen View Post
purpose:

FUN!
Agreed. I'll just be chillin outside and get the urge to start bustin some handstands, even though I suck at them.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #25
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Yoon View Post
As I said before, handstands look really cool and I would love to have that much control over my body to where I could do them.

I think you just answered your own question.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #26
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Allen View Post
I think you just answered your own question.
Not really Marcus. Even though I have an interest in wanting to do handstands (mainly cause they look cool), I'm still wanting to know how it transfers over to other sports and/or regular "real world" jobs/situations.

For example, how does a handstand help someone playing football? Boxing? Trail running? Ultimate Frisbee? Triathlon? How does it help a LEO/MIL person? Firefighter?

I have the mentality of doing exercises that are transferable. Whatever you do in the gym should be able to benefit you in your sport and/or your career/life. So other than just looking really cool, I'm trying to find another purpose to handstands for myself and seeing how it can apply to life and sport (my sport being ultrarunning).
Old 09-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #27
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Because it improves body awareness.

Again, CrossFit is a conditioning program, not skill work.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #28
Steven Low

Profile:

If you don't know how proprioceptive transfers well over to sports and injury prevention... well.. I'm really at a loss to help you out.

This discussion is going in circles. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #29
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Well, as a kid when I skated I did inverts and all its variations including full hand-stands with the deck balanced on both feet on street and ramp. Once during wrestling practice, our coach had us walk on our hands back and forth across the mat. I was the only one able to do it without falling and I totally felt like a stud infront of all the onlookers.

As a grown up, I went through Humvee rollover training. Once upside down, you have to support yourself with one-arm extended against the Humvee roof, secure your weapon, unharness your belt, and lower yourself in a quick controlled manner. I was able to do all these things adequately because I played around with handstands, as a kid.

Now, I'm doing okay doing HSPU and getting back to handstands even though it has been years.

Then there's that dude on Tekken who can do all sorts of crazy windmill kicks while on his hands.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #30
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
If you don't know how proprioceptive transfers well over to sports and injury prevention... well.. I'm really at a loss to help you out.

This discussion is going in circles. Good luck with whatever you choose.
No, I am aware of how proprioception transfers over to sports and injury prevention. However, knowing how your body's sense of balance and proprioception, most athletes use exercises that help with body awareness over the feet - not the hands. Can you cite me anything that talks about the proprioception developed from handstands helping with sports & injury prevention that isn't gymnastics related?

Again, I NEVER said handstands do or don't help in sports or life/career. I'm asking how they help to have a better understanding.