CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-01-2005, 10:59 AM   #1
Daniella Brown

Profile:  
What is the proper technique for push-ups? Also, what is the best way to move from a 'ladies knees down' push up to the real thing?
Old 03-01-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Don't do this.

Body should stay flat. Start the push up lying on the floor to get a feel for flatness.

The only thing I can think of suggesting is to elevate your upper body on a box or books, and keep your feet on the ground, with flat body. Start as high as you need to. Lowering the height of the support will increase the resistance.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
Daniella Brown

Profile:  
Great! - the lousy list was exactly what I was looking for. I'll try the elevation and see if I can maintain proper technique as I work my way to the ground.

Also any comments regarding keeping arms/elbows tucked in versus elbows out? I know they are working different areas, but is one considered to be more correct?
Old 03-01-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Daniella try this:

Do one of your knees down pushups and then in the top position, tuck your toes under and press through your heels as hard as you can. Imagine a wall right behind you. Hold that top position with the legs activated and the heels, hips, shoulders and head in a straight line. The body is a solid plank! Take a deep breath, hold it and lower down as slowly as possible. Exhale when you reach the bottom. Come back up on your knees and repeat.

Now to work the upward motion. Start lying down on your belly. Then tuck your toes under and press through the heels as hard as you can. The legs should feel really strong and straight and the knees are lifted now. You should feel like you're tipping forward. Your chest should stay on the floor. Take a big breath and hold it then push really hard trying to keep your body as rigid as possible. Slower lower the same way as above, then repeat.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Oh for elbows, I keep them touching my sides so that the creases of my elbows are in line with the creases of my wrists and everything bends along the proper axis of the joints. I find elbows out can hurt my wrists and elbows after a while and I don't feel as strong in that position. I've started doing ring pushups now and since I can move the wrists and arms in different directions that helps the joints a lot.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Daniella,
If your back is straight, and your head is up, you are good. I move my hands all over the place when doing pushups.
I am a grappler, and you never know where your hands will be able to post.
An interesting side effect is that I have almost no shoulder pain now. (I started doing pushups this way after a tip from Roy Harris)
Old 03-01-2005, 11:52 AM   #7
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I mix up the hands and elbows, helps me get through large amounts of push ups in a WOD.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
Mike Donnelly

Profile:
Crossfit Journal March 2003. Will help with form and progression from easier to harder.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:11 PM   #9
Daniella Brown

Profile:  
Interesting that you should mention shoulder pain Frank - that is actually what prompted my question about the elbows in versus out and moving from the knees down push-up to the regular push-up. I do the knees down in order to mitigate rotator cuff pain (from a repetitive strain injury), but thought that perhaps if I took proper steps to transition from one or the other, I would build up enough muscle to prevent the pain. Elbows out definitely makes the shoulder area more painful (at least for me)

Great tips - much appreciated!
Old 03-01-2005, 12:28 PM   #10
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Daniella,
You might also want to consider some static holds in the up, mid, and down positions. They help build you up without the movement that aggravates the shoulder pain.