CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
Ben Kissam

Profile:
Strength Assistance Exercises

I'm currently on a cycle of Crossfit Strength Bias that is scheduled to end January 21. Once that cycle ends and I do a few more things (test 1rm's, heal from my 50k this weekend, make sure my goals are set), I'm starting a new template that is very heavily based upon strength gains, but also has running 2x a week. One of the runs is a CFE interval, and the other is a long trail run. I created the program and plan to be a guinea pig for finding a balance between getting stronger while still being capable of long endurance events, specifically ultra-marathons.

I've never given up Crossfit for a more strength-based program but I've made the decision to give something new a shot. I'm looking for advice on assistance exercises that will help improve the main lifts I'm looking to improve.

Specifically the deadlift, back squat, press and power/full clean are the main lifts I'm looking to improve. I'm also trying to raise my bench press but that's so low that I think just doing sets will raise it significantly.

Some numbers: 355x3 deadlift, 255x5 back squat, 120x5 press, and 185 power clean

I will not be doing very much Crossfit and instead I am looking to add in some extra assistance work after my strength portions to get some extra stimulus. I'm also undecided as of now, but might look towards competing in powerlifting in the future which would require a re-vamping of my program to focus on just those lifts.

I'm also looking for advice on which days I should do them. Should I do for example, back extensions on a deadlift day? Or should I try to put them a few days after/before the deadlift in preparation or so that I'm hitting that area more than 1x/week? Should I even be doing these until my linear progression starts to stall? I feel like, for example my Day 1 has back squat, press and pullups, that may be too much if I add more?

I'm willing to try, and fail in the name of finding what works for me. Please don't post if you are going to tell me I can't make strength gains while running, because I know it's difficult but I have seen it done. I appreciate any advice I get, thanks for the time.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: Strength Assistance Exercises

IMO, the best strength programs keep as few movements as possible until you require more stimulus.

As you approach this I would try to add as few exercises as possible, as long as you are still improving by just squatting, deadlifting, and pressing...why add supplementals yet?

if you are not improving, then you can draw from a whole stable of exercises that are fairly well documented. Read some of the Westside articles from a few years back...I believe Louie had an article or two or three on supplemental work.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Ben Kissam

Profile:

That was kind of my thinking, that I should wait. I thought maybe if I was going to tailor my programming to focus on powerlifting competitions as opposed to just getting bigger and stronger that maybe assistance exercises might help somehow.

I'll take a look for those articles. I did spend a good amount of time looking for some, but didn't come up with a whole lot, which led to my post here. Would love any links you already are aware of.

Posting here was kind of a last resort because for all the good people here who come to help, there is always that one who loves to ruin the party and TELL me what I should be doing, why my program sucks, why they are better, etc.

Thanks for the feedback though.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Look up or buy Wendler's 5-3-1. Sounds like it fit into what you are doing quite well. Or the WS Conjugate system.