CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
Alex Thomas

Profile:
Mind over matter?

Going on about 2 months doing crossfit. I can really feel myself getting better, stronger, faster. However, I feel like I'm at a roadblock mentally.

Example; our WOD the other day was 75 WBs, 50 pushups, 100 walking lunges.

I know I can do more than 10 WBs in a row, but it's as if mentally I stop myself. I find this happening in a lot of higher rep workouts, especially pullups, WBs, burpees, etc.

Any tips on how to stop thinking so much and just do?
Old 03-07-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Mind over matter?

You are already failing before you start.

Before you start Put your mind in the right place, set a goal, break it into parts and only think of that. Only think of the part you need to do now and not everything in front of you.

I bet you can do 10 WBs with no trouble.

Who Said CF was easy..... But the rewards
Old 03-08-2014, 02:09 AM   #3
William Garrett

Profile:

Put your mind in the right place as mentioned aboved.

Set some goals for yourself, like xx amount of wallballs, xx seconds of rest before re-attacking. Or maybe as simple as doing an xx amount of reps before a certain time period. Hold yourself accountable to those goals as close as you can.

Once its all said and done look over take those results, and diagnose them. Could you of done better, did you overstep your bounds?

You will have bad days, and good days. Take note of what made that day good or bad. This is where you can draw a formula, and continue to grow yourself mentally, as well as physically.

I had the worst training day in 5 months a couple days ago, and it was 100%mental, nothing more nothing less, and I knew the root cause immediately.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:24 AM   #4
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Really hard to say "do this or that" to fix what you are talking about. I agree with setting goals for the wod/for yourself and setting a pace then stick with it. You really don't want to ever take yourself to the redline but there are definitely times where you can push past a mental barrier and not hit the redline. You just have to play with it

I am 2.5 years in and still make bad calls on how to go after a wod. Some days I pick a perfect cadence and it goes well. Other days I don't and I suffer...
Old 03-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Thomas View Post
Going on about 2 months doing crossfit. I can really feel myself getting better, stronger, faster. However, I feel like I'm at a roadblock mentally.

Example; our WOD the other day was 75 WBs, 50 pushups, 100 walking lunges.

I know I can do more than 10 WBs in a row, but it's as if mentally I stop myself. I find this happening in a lot of higher rep workouts, especially pullups, WBs, burpees, etc.

Any tips on how to stop thinking so much and just do?
I just wrote this, hopefully it helps.

http://thehealthypigusa.com/whydowefail/ (Work Safe)
Old 03-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I used to focus on doing everything unbroken, because you know, I really wanted to.

Sometimes you are better off picking a rep scheme and sticking with it. Try to crush 8 wall balls, step back and try to seriously limit yourself to 3-5 breaths and then pick the ball back up for 8 more reps. Keep doing this until you only need 1-2 breaths (or not break at all) and then modify the reps to take less breaks.

Doing high repitition workouts, with unbroken reps, is really tough. It is pretty much what sets the pros and the average joes apart - aside from pros having a much higher strength base.

The biggest time sink in a lot of MetCons are long rest periods. After looking at a recording of a workout I performed where I felt like I only took 4 or 5 seconds off of the bar, turned out to 13. I took about 5 of those. I added a minute to my time just doing pull-ups because I kept going until max fatigue, rather than spacing it out a little.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #7
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Shreim View Post
I used to focus on doing everything unbroken, because you know, I really wanted to.

Sometimes you are better off picking a rep scheme and sticking with it. Try to crush 8 wall balls, step back and try to seriously limit yourself to 3-5 breaths and then pick the ball back up for 8 more reps. Keep doing this until you only need 1-2 breaths (or not break at all) and then modify the reps to take less breaks.

Doing high repitition workouts, with unbroken reps, is really tough. It is pretty much what sets the pros and the average joes apart - aside from pros having a much higher strength base.

The biggest time sink in a lot of MetCons are long rest periods. After looking at a recording of a workout I performed where I felt like I only took 4 or 5 seconds off of the bar, turned out to 13. I took about 5 of those. I added a minute to my time just doing pull-ups because I kept going until max fatigue, rather than spacing it out a little.
14.2 proved to even the best that going unbroken depending on the workout isn't going to be the best to be able to push harder. I do the same exact thing you do though. If I need to stop, I will only give myself 1-5 hard breaths through my stomach/diaphragm and get right back on it.