CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
Frederic Giraud

Profile:
Re: Deadlift - Hips rising first

Hello there,

Problem is simple, as in most deadlift problems, your setup is off.

If you look closely you will notice that you drag the bar towards your shin as you higher your hips. You are placing the bar where it should be, over the middle one-third of your feet. Now the problem is that it should already be in that spot.

Refer to Rippetoe set up protocol and you'll resolve this little problem in no time, place the bar directly over the middle one-third of your feet. Keep you legs straight and without moving the bar from the middle one-third of your feet place your hands on the bar. Then, while the bar is still over the middle one-third of your feet, you will gradually lower those hips and flex from the knees until contact is made between the bar and your shin. Voila.

This will give you a more horizontal back angle start position.

Once this is fixed and you're still rising your hips first, a competent coach would queue : "Pull with your shoulders". This usually takes care of those "strippers" deadlift.

Of course there's a lot of way to achieve such objectives ( good form ). That would be my 2 cents
Old 01-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #12
Pat Dimitri

Profile:

I think something that might help is at the beginning when you're in the ready position, (bent knees, hands on the bar, looking up) before you lift the weights, put some pressure to the ground with your feet via your hamstrings/butt.. not enough to move the weight but enough to feel it. With that pressure still constant, begin the lift.

I had a somewhat similar problem to you (not as extreme) and this strengthened my imbalance/cleaned up my form.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Yep, way too high. You look like you are setting up for a clean or clean pull. Hips a little higher at the start. Do you do an lower back work?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
Hew Fung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Yep, way too high. You look like you are setting up for a clean or clean pull. Hips a little higher at the start. Do you do an lower back work?
Do you mean that my hips should be higher for the DL setup or that they're too high already? I don't do any specific lower back work. I've done main page WODs since April and CFSB for the past 6 weeks.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

You are setting up to low and then your hips are shooting up. Like someone else said, set up so your scapula are over the bar. This will make your arms not quite vertical, with your shoulders being in front of the bar.

If you lower back is weak and it's retarding your deadlift, you may need to add some assistance work in.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #16
Joey Powell

Profile:

Your butt is too low on the start.

Raise it up. The length of your femurs demand it. You hips rising to that level are only a natural reaction to that need. Raise your butt until your hamstrings are tight. Then drive your hip FORWARD, thus lifting the bar.

Your build will lead you to having a more horizontal back. Keep it arched and build a bunch of pressure in your abdomen keeping it rigid. Contract your glutes and taught hamstrings against each other to drive your hip forward. The hamstrings and glutes lift the bar nor your quads or lower back.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #17
Hew Fung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
You are setting up to low and then your hips are shooting up. Like someone else said, set up so your scapula are over the bar. This will make your arms not quite vertical, with your shoulders being in front of the bar.

If you lower back is weak and it's retarding your deadlift, you may need to add some assistance work in.
Got it. I would think that since I've managed to lift 320 using mostly my lower back that if there is a muscular weakness, it'd be in my hamstrings failing to lock my hips in place under load. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #18
Hew Fung

Profile:

I'm dedicated to getting this fixed before continuing to progress and I'm willing to spend as much time as it takes to get it right. That said, is this the kind of problem that I should be prepared to spend months correcting and slowly building the weight back up (time to fix is physically dependent), or is it something that I should be able to fix in a few weeks if I can get it to "click" in my mind (time to fix is mentally dependent)?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #19
Michael Ingley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Powell View Post
Your butt is too low on the start.

Raise it up. The length of your femurs demand it. You hips rising to that level are only a natural reaction to that need. Raise your butt until your hamstrings are tight. Then drive your hip FORWARD, thus lifting the bar.

Your build will lead you to having a more horizontal back. Keep it arched and build a bunch of pressure in your abdomen keeping it rigid. Contract your glutes and taught hamstrings against each other to drive your hip forward. The hamstrings and glutes lift the bar nor your quads or lower back.
this will solve all your problems
Old 01-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #20
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hew Fung View Post
I'm dedicated to getting this fixed before continuing to progress and I'm willing to spend as much time as it takes to get it right. That said, is this the kind of problem that I should be prepared to spend months correcting and slowly building the weight back up (time to fix is physically dependent), or is it something that I should be able to fix in a few weeks if I can get it to "click" in my mind (time to fix is mentally dependent)?
Since your form is also bad at low weights, you should stick with low (non-dangerous!) weights until you get it fixed. The rate at which you build back up after that depends on (a) how long it takes you to get the form right (the mental aspect) and (b) the degree to which lower back weakness is causing bad form (the physical aspect).

Katherine