CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #21
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: Deadlift - Hips rising first

As others have pointed out you are setting your butt too low. This needs to be fixed, but is not the only thing contributing to your hips raising.

You are not developing any tightness in your hamstrings before you lift and they are not engaging at all which is allowing your legs to straighten and back angle to change before the weight leaves the ground.

First work on finding the proper starting position.

Second work on squeezing the weight up slowly keeping your chest up and back angle constant. This will force your legs to do the initial work moving the bar and prevent your legs from straightening without moving the bar.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #22
John Koshy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hew Fung View Post
I've been struggling a long time with my hips rising first in my deadlift. It isn't so bad that I'm doing SLDLs, but I definitely end up doing most of the lifting with my back. I've tried all the usual cues, "push the floor away", "raise the chest", etc. I tried dropping the weight way down, but after shooting some video this morning I see that it happens even on my warmup sets at 135. While there may be a weakness at the higher weights (hamstrings?), it's clearly a mental issue at the lower loads.

I went for a new PR today and ended up tweaking my back a little on the PR attempt, so I'm pretty darn frustrated right now. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Do you take a deep breath and flex your abs? This, and pulling the bar back towards your body using your lats, helped me break this bad habit
Old 01-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #23
Camille Lore

Profile:  

"Push your feet through the floor!" is the cue that works for me.
Rip doesn't like it, but it keeps me from raising my hips up.
If I think "stand up and lift the weight", my hips come up.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #24
Jesse Richards

Profile:

I agree with Robert about the tensioning. I had the same problem last year when I was first working on my deadlift, and it took a while to figure out what was up. Really, I think one of the biggest things is to make sure that you have tension in your legs before you engage in the actual lifting, however, don't take my word for it! Read what Kelly Starrett has to say:

http://sanfranciscocrossfit.blogspot...ng-part-1.html (wfs)

http://sanfranciscocrossfit.blogspot...g-part-ii.html (wfs)
Old 01-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #25
Chris Mason

Profile:

Ok, first, you are basically performing a stiff-legged deadlift. Your quads are doing almost nothing. There is nothing inherently wrong that, but if you want to make the movement more of a quad exercise then you need to alter your form.

After watching the video with 310 lbs, you basically don't begin pulling on the bar until your legs are nearly straightened. This isn't a strength imbalance, it is merely technique. If you want to fix the issue mentally focus on pulling the bar from the floor while your *** is lower. I think deficit deads off a 3-4" platform might help you as well as you are essentially forced to pull with your legs significantly bent.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #26
Barry Dotson

Profile:

From watching the video, it seems that the first thing to move is your head going forward, which allows the hips to rise. I have worked with a number of lifters on this problem and may have a simple solution. Load the bar with 25lb plates and set it against a wall; plates touching. You will find that you have to keep your head up and hips down to pull the weight or else you will scuff your face. It exaggerates the form, but will teach you to keep your hips down and head up. Good luck!