CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #201
Alex Habib

Profile:
Re: Renegade Diet

I've been doing something like this diet for 5 days. I lost about 6lbs the first three days after reducing carb intake to ~100g (also cutting out bread and dairy) and reducing my intake from around 3000 to ~2500. Most of my carbs come from fruits, some veggies, and Results (AtLarge). I also haven't worked out during this period. Am I to assume that rapid weight loss in the first few days of this is simply water weight?
Old 10-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #202
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Habib View Post
I've been doing something like this diet for 5 days. I lost about 6lbs the first three days after reducing carb intake to ~100g (also cutting out bread and dairy) and reducing my intake from around 3000 to ~2500. Most of my carbs come from fruits, some veggies, and Results (AtLarge). I also haven't worked out during this period. Am I to assume that rapid weight loss in the first few days of this is simply water weight?
Depending on how much you weight, it can be weight loss and/or water weight.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #203
Alex Habib

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Depending on how much you weight, it can be weight loss and/or water weight.
Probably would of helped if I gave you numbers. Went from about 182-176.8. Previous body fat was probably around 20%, maybe a little lower. I'm definitely leaner now, so I'd say that my bf% decreased.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #204
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Habib View Post
Probably would of helped if I gave you numbers. Went from about 182-176.8. Previous body fat was probably around 20%, maybe a little lower. I'm definitely leaner now, so I'd say that my bf% decreased.
For your weight of 182, 2500 calories is recommended for your maintenance, so of you lost weight, it is probably mostly water weight. Continue for another week or two and you will be able to tell for sure.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #205
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I've been getting some emails and messages about calories, so I'll post it here also. This is what I do and I can tell you that it works very well.

I track my calories with MyFitnessPal. I highly recommend this because it works very well and you can really see what you are doing wrong. This will take a lot of guesswork out of it. I recommend starting out with the recommended calories for your maintenance. You can use the recommended MyFitnessPal calories or the Renegade Diet which is body weight x 14. They are almost the same. I try to get 1 gr of protein per body weight, which for me is 170. I've had days where I had 120 and I had days where I had 230. Who cares? Don't be anal with this. The rest of my calories consist of fats and carbs. Again, this is up yo you, but I prefer to eat 200-250 gr of carbs per day, regardless if it is a rest day or not. I feel much better and my performance is much better when I eat carbs, so I will continue. And I'm just under 15% body fat. I tried the low carb days on my rest days and the only thing I notices was less energy, which wasn't good. So don't be afraid of eating carbs, even on your rest days.

As far as calories go, I cycle calories depending on my workouts. For me, my maintenance is around 2300 calories. On my rest day, I have 2300 calories. On the days that I workout, I will adjust depending on how many calories I burn, according to myfitneaspal. On Sundays, which are my long slow run days, I burn about 500 calories, so I have about 2800 calories that day. On Tuesday and Thursday I only burn about 175 calories so I have 2475 calories. And same for the other days. But I always try to get 170 gr of protein everyday and I fill it in with carbs and fats.

I recommend doing something like that for 2-3 weeks, monitor your progress, and adjust your calories. So after 2-3 weeks, you have maintained your weight, but your goal is to loose weight, cut out some calories (about 200 calories), and do it again for 2-3 weeks and re-evaluate again.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #206
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Paulo, why do you think we still eat ~100g carbs on our rest day? We had a massive carb meal previous dinner which should replenish glycogen nicely. And since we did not exercise, its our rest day, why do we need ~100g of carbs for?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #207
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Paulo, why do you think we still eat ~100g carbs on our rest day? We had a massive carb meal previous dinner which should replenish glycogen nicely. And since we did not exercise, its our rest day, why do we need ~100g of carbs for?
Calories.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #208
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Because it is about calories. And I feel that carbs are more useful than fats for the training that CrossFitters do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Calories.
LOL.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #209
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

I apologise if my question was not clear. Let me try to rephrase it.

The "idea" behind diets like Renegate diet, carb backloading, leangains, ... is to have "all" of your carbs in a post workout meal/s. The idea is to prepaire your body/glycogen for next day (together with optimum recovery/muscle rebuild process). So what you eat today after workout is there to prepaire yourself for tomorrow's workout. Thats why there are zero carbs recommended before workour.

But if today is my rest day and I had my "carb" meal yesterday I see no need for carbs today since I will not do a workout and my glycogen should be all filled up from yesterday. I dont need calories from carbs, fats are much better source of calories.

Unless the idea behind "rest day carbs" is to just put a bit of juice in our body in case we dont have full glycogen levels, just in case, to be sure and fully prepaired for next day when we do have a workout?
Old 10-18-2013, 03:19 AM   #210
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Because your premise that fats are a better source of calories is incorrect. This isnt ketosis, dont try to make it that.

Also, you are still using energy over the course of the day whether you work out an hour out of the 24 hour day or not. It is missed by most people that the percentage of energy you burn during your workout is a relatively small percentage of total energy use in a day.