CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
Sheldon Kreger

Profile:
Trigger Point Therapy / body Back Buddy

A few weeks ago, I purchased a new mobility toy called the Body Back Buddy.

Image WFS:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.gadling.c...ybackbuddy.jpg

I've had it for about 3 weeks. I spend about 10 minutes with it a day because it feels so amazing. At first, I did a few sessions of about an hour. The thing is designed to allow you to press on "trigger points" in your muscles, which provides immediate relief of tension.

All I can say is it works really well. The engineering is absolutely brilliant, as you'll quickly discover that you can really crank down HARD on yourself while maintaining a relaxed position.

The idea is to find the most painful points in the region you're working on, then gradually apply more and more pressure. In this process, the pain will disappear like magic!

Imagine rolling out with a lacrosse ball, except you can apply as much pressure as you want on EXACTLY the most painful places on your muscles. That's what the Body Back Buddy does.

After ONE SESSION with this thing, I increased my rack position mobility so much that my hands kept slipping out from the bar during my warm up cleans. Of course, I quickly adjusted and everything was groovy.

It won't be any mystery once you start using it, but if you're curious about where the trigger points might be, check out this neat interactive tool:

http://www.triggerpointmaps.com/tp_finder.html

WFS

My pain levels have decreased substantially since I started. But, the trigger points do feel painful when I work them, even after regular use for the last 3 weeks. Not sure if it will ever go away, being that I'm a professional programmer and lift every day.

:-)

-sheldon
Old 12-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
William Burton

Profile:
Re: Trigger Point Therapy / body Back Buddy

Thing has terrific reviews on Amazon
Old 12-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
David Kiesling

Profile:

I got one last year. The design is really well thought out, and it's really just a cheap piece of molded plastic that they probably produce for a buck a pop. More power to them. It does what it's supposed to.

I only use the pointy knob at the end, and only on my back, but the rest is nicely shaped for holding onto. I'm unsure as to the best method specifically to use, like how long to stay on a point. But I've had results getting it as deep into the point as possible without losing it (you know you've got it when you press and the pain comes from elseewhere), and then "breathing into the point" deeply a few times until the pain has faded. Then I do other points and repeat, and after a two or three times on a point it feels like I'm done there, at least until tomorrow when I gotta do it all over.

The seam was annoying me, so I took some sandpaper to the seam to smooth out the knob, but I got too excited and scratched it up good and I think I need to get finer sandpaper to smooth it out.

I don't know if it's helped my mobility. I haven't really had a problem with cleans or other exercises I've been doing, as far as I know. But I wouldn't be surprised if it has helped. I just got it because my back was bothering me and I had tried doing several other types of things to try to fix it, and as it turns out it does help in combination with a couple other things I do. So it feels good to use, feels like my back is getting healthier.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Just ordered one. I have the Trigger Point Therapy book and can attest to the effectiveness of treating trigger points.

However, for the upper back, traps, etc.... the method of rolling a ball between your back and a wall, is kindof tiring if you intend to last more than a minute or two, it becomes a set a very high rep 1/4 squats, lol. My book does recommend a Thera Cane, but I ordered the one you mentioned anyways.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Om Puri

Profile:

Love the interactive diagram. Thanks.
I've been using the theracane/lacrosse ball for my trigger points for months. The pleasure/pain is rad.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Leyla Rose

Profile:

Thanks for the post Sheldon, my partners been deliberating getting one these, I might still have time to add an extra present under the tree now based on the above reviews.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Sheldon Kreger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Puri View Post
Love the interactive diagram. Thanks.
I've been using the theracane/lacrosse ball for my trigger points for months. The pleasure/pain is rad.
My co-worker has a Theracane. Don't get me wrong, they are also great, but the Body Back Buddy is a big step up for two reasons:

1. All of those extra handles and weird looking balls actually allow you to pull on your muscles more comfortably if you spend some time experimenting.

2. The funky angled hook on the other side is much more effective for certain trigger points.

Just my thoughts for those comparing the Theracane VS Body Back Buddy.

-sheldon
Old 12-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

BTW, if you're getting trigger points in the same areas that keep coming back -- they should stay away permanently if your body is correcting itself -- then you need to figure out where the other problems in your body are.

Tender/painful/etc spots should go away after a couple sessions.