CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #21
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: My Weightlifting Shoe Reviews (VS, Pendlay, Adidas, Nike, Reebok)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Eyanson View Post
Hope they don't come out with new reebok olys for the 2012 games. /:
Only new colors, but it goes more with the CF Games than the Olympics.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #22
Patrick Costello

Profile:

Hey guys/gals. I wanted to add an update to this review thread because I've since sold my Nikes to buy a pair of the new AdiPowers.

Shoe #6: Adidas AdiPower - $199.99

Specs (from website):
Lightweight polymer Torsion Heel system provides maximum support and locks your heel into place
Neoprene on the underside of the tongue helps lock your foot into place
Lightweight upper maximizes flex in the forefoot
Heavy duty strap to lock your foot into place
New design with increased ventilation in the forefoot and sole provides maximum breathability for your feet

First impressions:

First off, I ordered the same size as my AdiStars (9.5US) and they were too small. They fit fine everywhere but my big toe. Walking around was literally painful and I knew they wouldn't stretch/wear in enough to be comfortable. I returned them for a size 10US and they fit perfectly. I ordered the same pair for my wife as a Christmas present, and she went 1.5 sizes down and they fit fine. I want to say she wears a women's 9US and ordered a men's 7.5US.

I wasn't crazy about the color at first and was going to try to wait it out to purchase a new pair of shoes and see what else came out, but my AdiStars finally ripped in the toe area, so they had to be replaced.

The shoes fit my feet perfectly. They are very rigid and stable. The "leather" material is very stiff out of the box, but once they break in after a few days, they feel like butter. When I say "break in" I don't mean they loosened up -- they've formed to my foot, but I don't feel like they've become any more elastic or stretched like genuine leather would. I have heard people say that the forefoot is a little too flexible for their liking, but to me it is no different than any other pair of shoes we've owned (not including the Reeboks, they are obviously more flexible).

These shoes are very light and breathe very well. Adidas seems to have captured the light weight of the AdiStars and the structural rigidity of the Romaleos. Even with the same "Torsion System", the shoe feels much more connected because of the one-piece sole. There is no give in the polymer heel and I don't get swamp feet after a hard training session. I can see these shoes lasting for a very, very long time.

Another change is the location of the velcro strap. Other single-strapped shoes have the strap placed over the mid-food toward the bottom of the metatarsal bones which I've found to cause cramping in my feet. This strap is placed slightly higher and has eliminated this problem. I can really secure it in place and not have any issue with foot discomfort.

It seems like Adidas has taken big steps to make sure they create the best shoe possible and I'd say they've pretty much nailed it. Now I can see why so many lifters are wearing these. I'd give them a 4.5/5 star only because of the single color option.

PROS:
Light weight, strong, great support, higher foot strap, very high quality

CONS:
Price, color (only comes in one)

Last edited by Patrick Costello : 01-07-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #23
Patrick Costello

Profile:

Oops, double post.

Last edited by Patrick Costello : 01-07-2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 01-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #24
Kid Jansen

Profile:

Just received my pair of Adidas AdiPower Olympic Weightlifting shoes. They are a near perfect fit, just a little tight around the toes, but not extremely tight. Will probably be better once I got like 20 training hours in them.

They are quite a bit heavier than I expected. I've got a UK size 10.5, which I believe is US 11.5 and Europe 45. They are 494 grams each, or 17.43 oz.

I expected the weight to be quite similar to my Asics Gel Cumulus 9 running shoes, which are only 360 grams, or 12.70 oz each. The shoes I've previously been lifting in.

I'll try them out tomorrow. They are my first pair of oly shoes though, so it might take a while before I can tell you how they feel while lifting, because I have to get used to them first.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #25
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Putting a wooden or TPU heel in lifting shoes adds quite a bit of weight to them as compared to the lightweight foam/rubber used in running shoes, but a little extra weight isn't going to have any impact on your lifting ability. It's not like you're running or doing high rep box jumps in them.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #26
Kid Jansen

Profile:

Just tried them out for the first time this morning. Being my first weightlifting shoes they are definitely something to get used to. But I liked them, they felt very stable.

After the nearly 3 hour session they already fit so much better than at the start. My feet did feel a bit warm though, but not sweaty. You won't get swamp feet in these.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #27
David Shamah

Profile:

regarding fit for olympic shoes:
how should the shoe fit? should it be snug? do the addidas shoe stretch at all once you start lifting in them?
deciding between the 9.5 and 10. the 10 i have room in the toe and the 9.5 is pretty snug but not small.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #28
Kid Jansen

Profile:

I decided to go with a UK 10.5, which is roughly the same size as my dress shoe size (European 45). It does fit quite snug, but not too tight. Normally I wear EU 46 and some sneakers (like my running shoes) are even EU 47. In US sizes that would be 11.5, 12.5 and 13 respectively.

I've worn my pair of Adidas AdiPower about 7 hours now, divided over 3 workout sessions. In that time they do seem to have loosened up a bit, but that really is just a bit. From slightly too tight, too tight, but not too tight.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #29
Patrick Costello

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shamah View Post
regarding fit for olympic shoes:
how should the shoe fit? should it be snug? do the addidas shoe stretch at all once you start lifting in them?
deciding between the 9.5 and 10. the 10 i have room in the toe and the 9.5 is pretty snug but not small.
I haven't really noticed a stretch in them even after a solid 5 day/week use for 2 months now.

They should be comfortably snug, but not tight. I wear a 10US I ordered the 9.5US and they were way too tight even though I have a 9.5US in the AdiStars and they fit fine. I ended up going with the 10 and they have been perfect.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #30
Kurt Mueller

Profile:

Great, informative thread. I'm in the market for some lifting shoes and am trying to decide between the Adidas Powerlift 2.0 and the Reebok Lifters. It seems like the Reeboks are firmer in the heel and will work better for WOD stuff. Have they been holding up for people? Any reason to choose the Adidas, aside from price?