CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Brian DeLongchamp

Profile:
New and seeking tips

I am new to Crossfit and working out in general (other then the mandatory fun the military provided) and I am looking to gain weight. Any advice in this area would be much appreciated.

Oh, I am 5'9" and fluctuate from 145 to 153 depending on the season
Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Jason Wallis

Profile:
Re: New and seeking tips

Lift heavy things, eat alot of quality food.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Charles Fey

Profile:

A lot of people will recommend CrossFit Football, Starting Strength, or 70's Big if you want to add strength from a good base. Given your BMI and service (thank you, by the way) you're probably a good candidate for either of those. Others will probably post the diet recommendations of those programs and the routines - if not Google should be instructive. Also, you could call around to CF boxes to see if any of your local affiliates have certified CFFB coaches to get you going. Good luck!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
David Hansen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Lift heavy things, eat alot of quality food.
This. The OP's question has got to be the most frequently asked question here. I don't understand how the answer is not obvious to everyone. Eat more and lift heavier.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
David Z Sachs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hansen View Post
This. The OP's question has got to be the most frequently asked question here. I don't understand how the answer is not obvious to everyone. Eat more and lift heavier.
Because a lot of people are completely new to the fitness world and lift heavier to them may very well mean increase the weight on bicep curls, etc.

Granted googling/searching this forum could help a ton...

If you want to build pure strength, buy a copy of the book Starting Strength. Read it. Follow it.

If you want to build strength while maintaining some conditioning look into Crossfit Football or 70's Big S&C.

All of these programs will help you get stronger IF you follow them as prescribed. Do not try to add in your own routines, or alter them unless you want questionable results.

The most important aspect in doing one of the programs will be to eat a LOT of food. Most people doing these programs are eating 2500-3500 calories of food a day PLUS drinking 1 gallon of milk a day(2500 caloies or so). You likely will put on a bit of fat, but you will put on insane amounts of muscle in a very, very short time. That same muscle will make losing said fat very easy as well once you tune your diet after completing the programs.

All in all, I would look up and research all of these programs. If you are unfamiliar with the lifts they use, I would buy starting strength regardless because the information on the lifts it provides is extremely helpful.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
David Hansen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Z Sachs View Post
Because a lot of people are completely new to the fitness world and lift heavier to them may very well mean increase the weight on bicep curls, etc.
Ok, I can somewhat see a good case regarding the training aspect, but how is it possible that the concept of eating more to get larger is not intuitive to every human being?
Old 05-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hansen View Post
Ok, I can somewhat see a good case regarding the training aspect, but how is it possible that the concept of eating more to get larger is not intuitive to every human being?
My guess? In our culture, skinny is prized. Dieting is encouraged and rewarded. "Getting big" (as opposed to "getting ripped") is an uncommon goal. I'm guessing the average individual that has not been introduced to weightlifting would not guess that the caloric intake would have to be drastically increased to make strength gains. They would think that simply lifting more would do the trick.

My opinion is first-hand. I'm relatively intelligent but had no idea of the sheer number of calories that are required to make strength gains. Ditto for rest/recovery. Many aspects of our culture are fast-paced, multi-tasking, get as much crap done as you can in the shortest period of time. Rest days and recovery are totally anathema to that way of thinking.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:51 AM   #8
Johan Lindström

Profile:

Im a nOOb too, but from what i understand, the best way to get big and strong are the heavy lifts (deadlift, squat etc.) and of course loads of quality food and rest